Non-perishable (or long-perishable) snacks

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Looking for some imaginative recommendations.

I need to buy some snacks for my parents. Although they have a fridge, they don't prepare food anymore (they're in assisted living, and there's a dining room), and I can't 100% count on them to know when something needs to be refrigerated.

I can do the usual crackers/cookies/chocolate thing, but I'd like to promote a little bit of nutrition as well. :)

Any ideas? Snacks you've enjoyed yourself? They have no dietary restrictions, but they're also not averse to things labeled vegetarian, vegan, or gluten-free.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Mini Kind bars
Trader Joe's Marcone Almonds (slightly seasoned with salt and rosemary)
Nuts and dried fruit (TJ's sells a bag of snack-sized small bags of cashews, dried cranberries, and almonds)
Pretzels

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Lara bars are good -- they're very few ingredients, basically just ground fruit and nuts.

Nuts? Trail mix? There are a bunch of individual pack-type things, couple ounces or whatever each, so they stay fresher.

Do they have an electric kettle or can they get hot water? There are a bunch of good ramen/noodle things come in bowls where you just add water, like Annie Chun's stuff. They're just upgraded ramen-type stuff, but it's better than ramen (still salty but not that bad in other ways). There's shelf-stable hummus and bean dip individual-serve things that they can have with pretzels or pita chips. Same with pb.

Also freeze-dried fruit and veg are really good for snacking. They're just light and crisp just the stuff.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
For trail mix, it might be cheaper and generate less junk/wrapper waste to get a larger container and portion it out in smaller snack-sized containers. (Though technically one serving is about half of the smallest snack container I have found.)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Graham crackers spread with a little all-natural peanut butter or almond butter
Trader Joes has canned stuffed grape leaves that are pretty good

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
For trail mix, it might be cheaper and generate less junk/wrapper waste to get a larger container and portion it out in smaller snack-sized containers. (Though technically one serving is about half of the smallest snack container I have found.)

Unfortunately I've got to be able to ship to them direct - they can't have visitors at the moment. My main goal is to have stuff around they can nibble on when they're hungry off-hours. (So I should probably not ship them 48 packs of pretzels, which I've considered! :))

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Nuts and trail mix? Jerky (though that's very salty if they have to watch sodium)? Dried fruit. Actually, some fresh fruits keep for a while too and can be shipped in baskets or boxes from places like Harry and David's. They're pricey, but Harry and David's, Hickory Farms etc. do have variety packs of fruits and snacks that do not need to be refrigerated.

Some hard cheeses do not need refrigeration and may actually be best if kept at room temp. Authentic Gouda is one, but research this carefully.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I did this, bought raisins, chocolate chips, and cashews (unsalted).

I haven't bought any this go round but one of my favorite camping treats is the freeze-dried neapolitan ice cream they sell at REI. Apparently it was designed for astronauts.

I also bought some Mandarins, or maybe they are Clementines.
Store mandarin oranges in a cool, dark place (like the fridge). At room temperature they’ll last about 1 week. Refrigerated in a bag they should last 2 weeks to 1 month.
I'm hoping for a month in the fridge. Instead of peeling them I just slice them in half (top down) and dig the sections out.

I also have pop tarts and 'fruit and grain bars'. The bars are the soft ones, easier to eat than granola bars.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I love the smoked trout in oil they sell in tins at trader joes. Keeps on the shelf, great on crackers.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Biscotti! It comes in so many flavors and has a satisfying crunch. And dried fruit is good. When my mom was in rehab after breaking her leg last year, she really appreciated getting a bag of dried apricots. So much of the food they served in rehab was carbohydrate-heavy, without a lot of fruit or raw veggies, and coupled with her medications and inactivity she got constipated a lot. The apricots helped "unbind" her, so to speak.

You could always send them a mix of different-flavored protein drinks like Boost or Ensure. They don't necessarily have to be chilled to enjoy, although they should be refrigerated if they're opened.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I love the smoked trout in oil they sell in tins at trader joes. Keeps on the shelf, great on crackers.

Ooh, me too. I always have at least four tins on hand. Also makes a good lunch with a salad.

I've seen snack-sized foil packets of olives...can't vouch for how good they are, though.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Nutella! It's shelf-stable, calorically dense, and good on crackers.

Be sure to pick up some tortillas, too, so you can make a little snack I invented* called "Nutelladillas."

Nutelladillas (Pronounced "New-tell-uh-dee-yuh) are basically quesadillas made with Nutella instead of cheese. Be sure to put a little butter in the pan when you cook it, too; it adds a much-needed dash of salty goodness.

*I'm sure I'm not the first person to come up with this, but since I've never heard of anyone else doing it (and the various guests I've cooked it for have also never heard of it), I'm claiming credit.

Last edited:

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly, those logs of sausage like Old Winsconsin or such, as well as those babybel cheeses, would work great. Snacks can be kind of wearying to eat for extended periods of time, and cheeses make you feel like you're eating real food.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So I settled on Moon Cheese, crackers, protein bars, and chocolate-covered graham crackers. It'll all be delivered Thursday, and I'll see what they do and don't like. If it's fun for them, I may start getting a wee bit more creative. Might as well have fun while it's unsafe for me to actually take them out!

Thanks, all. You are a lovely bunch. :e2flowers