Animal and Bird Web Cams

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
My mom really likes Web cams; mostly I've been watching and showing her bird web cams, but there are all sorts.

I thought I'd create a thread for them here. If you describe and link to a Web Cam, I'll try to keep up an index of the posts/cams in this post.

Bella Diamond Hummingbird on a nest in California

Hummingbird Feeder Cam in Studio City CA
They get Annas, Calliope, and sometimes, Black-chinned, and even Baltimore Orioles

Brown Bear cam Brooks Falls - Katmai National Park, Alaska, USA

Cornell Ornithology Lab's All About Birds

Several different bird cams; Barred Owls, Red Tailed Hawks, Feeder cams, a bird cam in Panama, showing fruit-feeders, a hummingbird feeder cam in Texas . . . and many others.

Monterey Bay Aquarium
Several cams showing a variety of sea life and one just for the aviary.

Woodland Park Zoo, Seattle WA
Tiger cam, grizzly bear cam, bat cam.

San Diego Zoo Live Cams
Apes, baboons, condors, koalas, pandas, penguins, butterflies . . .

Kitten Rescue Sanctuary, Los Angeles CA

Puppy Playroom at Warrior Canine Connection

Kentucky Equine Adoption Center

Last edited:
Reactions: SWest and ap123

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Monterey Bay Aquarium has several web cams.

Aviary

Coral Reef

Jelly Fish

Sea Turtles

And one for the bay where you can see otters etc.

Reactions: SWest

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Decorah eagles have two nests with eggs.
https://explore.org/livecams/bald-eagles/decorah-eagles

https://explore.org/livecams/bald-eagles/bald-eagle-two-harbors
And the Two Harbors Bald Eagle Cam nest has 2 eggs but that nest is known for losing eggs. These have lasted longer than usual so maybe they'll survive.

My absolute favorite are the owls and one pair of Great Horned Owls has eggs. This nest is harder to see than previous nesting sites but once the owlets hatch and grow a bit, their cute little selves will make an appearance. Eventually they get so big you wonder how they fit in the nest.

Right now you can watch Hooty the male deliver rodents at night to Wonky the female. I'm waiting for someone to name the owlets Blowfish One and Two. :tongue

https://explore.org/livecams/owl-research-institute/great-horned-owl-cam

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
She sure is. When I looked the other day she was snoozing, with her head tucked out of sight. Quite a convincing impersonation of a cloud--one sitting on a hillside. How cute is that.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Update on the Explore web cams:

There's a fascinating California Condor chick that's hobbling around the nest.

The great horned owlets have fledged after a few fun days of them jumping all over the branches in trees near the nest. That camera has gone to highlights.

A goose took over the osprey nest in Charlo Montana. There was a funny encounter when the down nest of the goose scared the female osprey off the nest as she went to land. The goose stayed and two goslings fledged which means they jumped off the very high nest and landed without flying. They both toddled off with the parents.

The ospreys meanwhile nested on a nearby platform and are raising chicks at a distance from the camera.

The great gray owls have raised two owlets. They are due to fledge soon. One is four days older than the other so they may not go at the same time.

The Audubon ospreys aren't doing so well. Only one nest has eggs and the female is incubating it. But a great horned owl has already tried to snatch the adult osprey and the mods who make frequent reports think that doesn't bode well for any of the chicks surviving.
Update, the parents aren't sitting on the nest at night for safety. The eggs aren't expected to hatch.

I haven't watched the eagles' or falcons' nests much. They have raised their eaglets and eyasses with some losses and some successes. The Great Sprit Bluff falcons are down to two and the black flies are attacking. Flies can clog the birds' airways so it's hard to say what will happen. But the eyasses in the city are doing well. Lots of pigeons for a food source for them. And there are five eaglets on the Decorah nests, one with three and two nests with one each, close to fledging.

Puffins and snowy owls have yet to come in season. More fun, they fledge and new chicks are born on a different cam.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The puffins are starting to return from the sea!

Fun fact: while breeding puffins return every year to the burrows, a newly fledged puffin, not fully grown, will fly off out to sea, (always so sad to see them go :hi::cry:), where they will live on the water for 4-5 years before returning to the rocks to find their own mate and burrow. Boggles my mind.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
More updates from the explore cams:

One of the great gray owlets fledged with a dramatic climb to the top of the snag and a jump into the next tree over. There's a video-capture of the event in the comments. The other owlet is soon to go.
https://explore.org/livecams/owl-research-institute/great-gray-owl-mission-valley

In the meantime there's a new egg in the guillemot burrow and one in the puffin's! :hooray: The guillemots are weird, not my favorite nest to watch. Too many don't make it. But the puffins are absolutely adorable. :e2cloud9:
https://explore.org/livecams/puffins/guillemot-cam

The condor chick is as ugly as ever but it gets around much better now and the parents aren't blocking the view as often. It has a lot of growing to do to get as big as those parents.
https://explore.org/livecams/condors/california-condors-redwood-grove

The Great Sprit Bluff falcons are surviving the black flies. Normally there is never intervention of nature on these nests but it sounds like there has been intervention of the black flies. I'm glad to hear that. If you ever see these little guys or the eaglets when they are small, if they look dead just scroll back and you'll see they're not. When they are flopped down in the nests they often look dead.
https://explore.org/livecams/falcons/peregrine-falcon-cam

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The bears are back in town! The cams are live anyway.
https://explore.org/livecams/brown-bears/brown-bear-salmon-cam-the-riffles

Otis showed up in his "office" for a while yesterday. The salmon aren't running yet.

All the owls have fledged now. Tiny heads are showing in the Charlo, Montana osprey nest. Baby puffin Stella has arrived. The condor chick is bigger and more coordinated, but I've yet to see any feathers replacing the down.

Yes, MaeZe is addicted to the explore cams!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Iniko survived the Dolan fire in Big Sur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hooray::snoopy: :hooray::snoopy: :hooray::snoopy: :hooray::snoopy:

I posted about it in the wrong thread, I'll post a link to that in a minute. Iniko is a four month old California Condor chick we've all been watching from egg to four months. They fledge at six months.

We watched the Dolan fire as it creeped toward the nest. The crackling got louder and louder until flames were visible below the nest. That's when the camera cables burned up. For a week no one could get in there to check on the nest. Kingpin, the father hasn't been found yet but Redwood Queen, the mother is near the nest and almost certainly feeding her chick.

Of 100 adult condors in the area of the fire 91 have been accounted for. Kingpin is one of the missing nine but he could still turn up. Kingpin and Redwood Queen were almost 30 years old. They were born and raised in the LA Zoo as part of the condor recovery effort. Condors mate for life and both care for the chick.

I'm tearing up again.

Here's the link to the first post.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The fire burned up the tree to within ten feet of the nest which is about 60 feet up in a big redwood. That was close. No wonder the crackling sounded so loud.

Here's a video of the events.
Starts with the last minute of the fire, you can hear the loud crackling for a couple seconds. It's just before the flames were visible below and reflecting off the nest. Then it shows the team checking on the chick and you can see the burning up the tree.

The charring on the inside of the nest is from a fire long ago that created the space.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the link. I was dreading bad news about Iniko. Okay, I even worried about Iniko hunched up so still at the back of the nest cavity until I saw his eye blink a couple of times!
Fly and prosper, little guy! And, hopefully his father makes it home soon.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
The California Academy of Sciences has several animal webcams (including a penguin cam) that have been entertaining me periodically during a year and a half with no trips to zoos or museums.

The San Diego Zoo also has a number of webcams.

Reactions: cmhbob and AW Admin

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the link. I was dreading bad news about Iniko. Okay, I even worried about Iniko hunched up so still at the back of the nest cavity until I saw his eye blink a couple of times!
Fly and prosper, little guy! And, hopefully his father makes it home soon.
Sadly, Dad (Kingpin) didn't make it. Redwood Queen did but care for Iniko became a problem when she was forced out of the nest by another male. The story ...
The Dolan Wildfire swept through one August night, taking her father Kingpin among the nine free-flying condors that were lost. The flames were hot for Iniko as well, but she managed to survive in her cavernous nest. As Redwood Queen rose to the task of being a single parent, a new challenge emerged. An unmated male condor attacked the nest, possibly seeing an opportunity to claim a vacant territory. Iniko was force-fledged from the nest during the scuffle.

Redwood Queen fought off the intruder, but Iniko’s prospects seemed dim huddled there on the ground with only one parent. Our concern grew as time passed and the chick remained vulnerable, even showing a slight limp. The field crew moved in on October 19th and rescued Iniko, hiking her carefully out of the canyon and transporting her to Los Angeles Zoo for treatment and care.

Iniko will be returned to the wild in 2021. As we watch her spread her wings over the central coast for the first time, it will be a pleasant reminder of the progress we are making toward condor recovery. Perhaps others will be reminded of how they too will rise again through these troubled times.
There's a short video of the rescue at the link. Looks like it took a lot of effort.

In the meantime Redwood Queen paired up with a new partner, Phoenix, and a new egg arrived. But it never hatched so we have to wait for another season. Apparently this kind of thing happens.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I gather that Phoenix, the new mate was not the Intruder? I assume that would have been Intruder's game plan - territory of his own, a nice sturdy nest, a new mate (proven fertile) and kill the step-chick: an ambitious condor's dream come true.
I hope the Queen has chicks with Phoenix next year. Thank you for keeping us updated.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's an egg in the National Arboretum eagle nest!

Webcam here

Run down of all the past feather-brained drama here.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting eagle/hawk interaction off BC Coast, is this kind of thing happening elsewhere?
TL:DView
Parent eagle apparently brought home a baby red-tailed hawk as a snack for an eaglet (who had recently lost it's sibling). Instead of killing and eating the intruder, the eaglet apparently befriended it, and the parent birds are feeding both of them.
It appears the young hawk saw a parent bird and immediately assumed the 'food-begging' posture, beak up and open. The parent bird assumed that the little curved beak was one of it's kids, shrugged and fed it.

Reactions: MaeZe and dickson

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is a heartwarming story, but where did the chick get its dinner?
Probably on the next incoming parent's flight. I gather feeding baby birds is a constant process. And, fortunately, both kids are raptors, although varying by species (it mentions that the eagles brought chiefly fish, while the researchers provided small rodents, which the hawk ate just like his birth mother would have wanted. (No idea what happened to the red-tailed hawk parents.)

Reactions: dickson