Cooking in the Time of Corona

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(I'ma pass on the 550-year-old ravioli, tho'; I'm not an ambitious cook . . . or at least not that ambitious.) But, I will be exploring the channel, so thank you for that, as well.

The 200 year old French fries look amazing! I never thought to batter dip them before, but after seeing it (and battering fish, chicken, etc.) it's a big "well duh!" However, the wife won't (and I shouldn't) touch deep fried food.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another IANAC (I am not a cook) recipe:

Try whole olives in three bean salad. I have organic garbanzos and kidney beans but haven't seen organic cut wax beans for ages. So I substituted whole olives and not having the proper ingredients for dressing, I used organic ranch dressing. It turned out well. :D

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm not much of a cook, and this isn't a specific recipe, but I thought it was interesting. Evidently, some restaurants are now selling groceries to people. They obtain ingredients from a different supply chain than grocery stores, so it's an alternative way, perhaps, for home cooks to get some of those hard-to-obtain ingredients right now.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/13/8316...r-to-go-restaurants-are-selling-groceries-now

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not much of a cook, and this isn't a specific recipe, but I thought it was interesting. Evidently, some restaurants are now selling groceries to people.

Yes, there are a couple near me that are doing it. The groceries they're selling tend to be extremely limited in range & they often sell out, of course, so you need to check what they actually have when you place an order. It's not going to replace a full grocery store, but it's a helpful supplement. And we need to support our restaurants, esp the non-chain ones, however we can!

vicelimmer

Registered
Reaction score
This is great, thanks for sharing. I would bookmarked that. It definitely sounds healthy.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's Cookin': Quarantine Edition

Aka, "I'm so sick of this, please comfort me!" recipes.

My contribution, which I baked last night:

New York-Style Crumb Cake

I love a good crumb-topping on a cake. This one has a deep crumb layer, which I love. Could double as a breakfast "coffee cake".

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you will move this, or ask a moderator to move it, to Cooking in the Time of Corona. We'd hate to have our homebound recipes scattered far and wide when it's not even safe to go round 'em all up.

For the record, that recipe looks fabulous. Finally, enough of the topping to satisfy my sweet tooth!

Maryn, sugar fiend

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, sorry! I looked, but didn’t find that thread! :Shrug:

Can you please move it for me?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somebody did before I saw the request. I hope you saved enough of that crumb cake to share...

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I made one of my favorites for the first time in years: Chicago-style deep dish pizza made in a springform pan. I used to make it with an upper crust, but in refreshing my memory on cooking temps, etc., I noticed the recipes didn't call for one. So, I saved the second bit of dough and made it without. Just as good, and more authentic.

Question: How can you get red and green bell peppers not to produce so much juice? Would blanching them help? Or are bell peppers going to produce a lot of juice no matter what I do? We didn't exactly have bread-bowl Italian soup, but close.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I made one of my favorites for the first time in years: Chicago-style deep dish pizza made in a springform pan. I used to make it with an upper crust, but in refreshing my memory on cooking temps, etc., I noticed the recipes didn't call for one. So, I saved the second bit of dough and made it without. Just as good, and more authentic.

Question: How can you get red and green bell peppers not to produce so much juice? Would blanching them help? Or are bell peppers going to produce a lot of juice no matter what I do? We didn't exactly have bread-bowl Italian soup, but close.

Hi Chris, for certain recipes if I am using cucumbers, zucchini, eggplant, or grated potato for potato pancakes, I will liberally salt them and let them sit for a bit - maybe 15 minutes or so and this will pull the moisture out. After, you rinse them and pat them dry to use in your dish (and in the case of the grate potato I squeeze them out). I can't see why it won't work with peppers.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Chris, for certain recipes if I am using cucumbers, zucchini, eggplant, or grated potato for potato pancakes, I will liberally salt them and let them sit for a bit - maybe 15 minutes or so and this will pull the moisture out. After, you rinse them and pat them dry to use in your dish (and in the case of the grate potato I squeeze them out). I can't see why it won't work with peppers.

Nice! I'll give that a try next time. There for sure will be a next time, it came out great!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
This one has been a go-to for me lately, and most of it is stuff I can get at the nearby bodega or 99 store.

Cauliflower and Chickpea Masala

My momma taught me to cook, and she did so with a very specific philosophy: never follow instructions and just throw in whatever. This dish, like a lot of curry and masala recipes, is well-suited for that. I've had particularly good luck grating an apple into it and adding lemongrass paste and a squeeze of lemon.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a pretty easy recipe. Have made it before, making it for dinner tonight. It’s tasty! The ingredient list is long, but the amount of prep is relatively low.

https://www.foxandbriar.com/easy-chicken-ramen/

Albeit, I’m skipping the “ramen eggs” tonight. They’re a bit odd, and I was the only person in the house who liked them.

Also, I susbstitute or skip ingredients as needed. (I didn’t have fish sauce last time, still don’t now, so I skip it. I have chicken breast this time, not thighs. Etc.) Still tastes good.

And, I’ll shred the bok choi rather than quartering — they were really unwieldy to eat when quartered. Any sliced mushrooms are fine here, or skip if you dislike them. (DW and DD fish theirs out and give them to me, one of their many fine qualities.)

inspector

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve tried the Mac & Cheese with Ham and roasted Garlic…what should I say? It was D E L I C I O U S !!
Since Corona has started, who cooks much more at home? Now that I am at home much more often than usual, I have more time to cook for myself as well. I think my diet has also become much healthier in the last few months. I eat meat very rarely, but I eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. My mum even gave me a cookery book for my birthday again...I got one many years ago, but as I never used it, she had other ideas :D To be honest, I don't really like to cook according to a recipe, but rather according to my own mood...but the roasted garlic will be added to dishes more often now ;-)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Never forget that even if you don't like to cook to a recipe, the cookbook can be a source of inspiration - see something, adapt something, use different ingredients, etc.

helenkessler

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
The first time I started the cooking was in quarantine. Before that, I used to order the food from outside as I was living alone at home my whole family was abroad. Nobody was allowed to travel in a plane to any of the cities. That time was hard for me as I don't even know the recipe to cook food. One of my friends recommend me the site goodycs for the best recipes to cook food and I liked the food cooked from their recipes.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first time I started the cooking was in quarantine. Before that, I used to order the food from outside as I was living alone at home my whole family was abroad. Nobody was allowed to travel in a plane to any of the cities. That time was hard for me as I don't even know the recipe to cook food. One of my friends recommend me the site goodycs for the best recipes to cook food and I liked the food cooked from their recipes.
Welcome, helenkessler! Are you a chef, a writer, a food reviewer, or all three?

You will find passionate foodies here, and you will find endless writers here who are passionate about all things prose. And you will find folks who straddle the road-- writers who like to swap recipes in their spare time.

Are there particular ethnic cuisines you are exploring?

helenkessler

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, helenkessler! Are you a chef, a writer, a food reviewer, or all three?

You will find passionate foodies here, and you will find endless writers here who are passionate about all things prose. And you will find folks who straddle the road-- writers who like to swap recipes in their spare time.

Are there particular ethnic cuisines you are exploring?
No, I don't follow any particular ethnic cuisines. I am not bound to any particular chef. I would highly appreciate if anybody wants to share any recipe with me.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, I don't follow any particular ethnic cuisines. I am not bound to any particular chef. I would highly appreciate if anybody wants to share any recipe with me.
Welcome to AW!

The "What's for Dinner?" [click for link] thread is a bit more active than this one, and we commonly provide links to recipes.

I bounce all over the globe with recipes. I'm fortunate to live in an area with a high expat population, so we have all sorts of Hispanic, Ethiopian, Halal/Middle Eastern, South Asian, Korean, Chinese, whatever shops right at hand. It's pretty common for me to say "there's no way anyone has fresh fenugreek leaves around here" only to pop into a shop and there they are. I'm trying to do more beans and less meat (cholesterol, price, and variety) and non-European food traditions are a goldmine for that.

Reactions: mrsmig

RandyG

Registered
Reaction score
I should say, I really improved my cooking skills during the quarantine (finally had time for that). Thanks for the recipes, I found several great ones here.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In recent years, although I own some lovely cookbooks, it seems like I get most of my new recipes either from the newspaper or recommended by someone here, often with a link.

I already knew how to cook basics before COVID, but it certainly changed how many nights I or we cooked at home. I've gotten better at some "special" (read: expensive) meals at home since we're avoiding restaurants unless we're away from home. For me, that means the fancy fish and a few nice sides, clearing the clutter off the table, and cloth napkins, because why not?

Maryn, who still longs for good restaurant fare

nellywilk

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I should say, I really improved my cooking skills during the quarantine (finally had time for that). Thanks for the recipes, I found several great ones here.
Good for you and for your family. In our family we always enjoy a healthy meal, good vitamins from Canadian Pharmacy and decent amount of exercises. Healthy lifestyle makes us feel happy and complete and i am very happy that my husband has the same opinion on that one. We don't eat any junks and don't have any sweet drinks at home.

Last edited: