What are your "comfort watches"?

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
The Office (US) is definitely my #1 comfort series. I've lost count of how many times I've watched it. I always stop with the episode when Michael leaves for Colorado though and then start over.

You've Got Mail, Moonstruck, and As Good As It Gets are some of my favorite comfort movies.

Since Hamilton's release on Disney+, it has become a frequent flyer as well. Recently I've had to watch a little of it every night after watching a few episodes of The Haunting of Bly Manor...otherwise I'm afraid I will have nightmares! That's a good show...though definitely not a comfort watch!

Challenger007

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer to watch HBO and Netflix series. Both companies produce decent products for different audiences, which makes them versatile. Although I would not recommend watching some TV shows for the faint of heart:D

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I've been watching "We Bare Bears". It is so funny and comforting. It's my new favorite show. Even better than my previous favorite show, "Steven Universe".

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I have all the Harry Potter movies on DVD, but for some reason it's comforting to turn on the TV and just have them on.

Over the last few days, I've been making myself happier (by making myself sad...) by watching the '70s BBC miniseries "J.M. Barrie and the Lost Boys". It's like Finding Neverland, but with Ian Holm as Barrie and with a much more accurate and complete telling of the story. The sound quality is bad at points, and some of the many kid actors aren't great, but all the adult actors, particularly Holm, are fantastic (I really like adult Michael, and the lady who plays Sylvia was fantastic, too). I'm deeply interested in this story (I wrote a novel about it), so it's really nice to put this on and settle into the story.

Tom Fitch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intersectiondiaries.com
The Sopranos, definitelly. I still think it's the best television series ever made. To keep it up for nearly seven full seasons and nearly never dropping the quality, is amazing. And then there are some excellent reviews floating around the web that you can read after having watched an episode. Emily Todd VanDerWerff's reviews on the A.V. Club e.g.

With the new lock-down announced in Brussels over the weekend, I think I may launch into my 4th watch of the entire series.

Tom

Aimless Lady

Head in the Clouds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maggieblackbird.com
TV Shows on DVD:
Columbo
Barnaby Jones
Poirot

Movies on DVD:
Thunderheart
Twilight Saga
Battlestar Galactica (Richard Hatch is awesome as Apollo)
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (I love Twiki)
Mad Max Series

Beccorban

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely Lord of the Rings - although sometimes I enjoy watching the behind-the-scenes docs almost more than the films themselves.

Master & Commander is another great movie to watch on a rainy day.

TV-wise, I am just now discovering The West Wing and it's perfectly described as a 'comfort watch'. Wouldn't it be nice if all we had to worry about was how Jed Bartlet puts a jacket on?

Challenger007

Registered
Reaction score
And I love watching old movies. But I like to do it not in the traditional way, but using a projector. Not so long ago I discovered this method for myself and I'm just delighted! The projector creates an unusual atmosphere and adds even more charm to old movies. If you are also interested in purchasing a projector, I recommend looking at this review https://homemakerguide.com/best-short-throw-projector/. There are options for different prices.

runoffscribe

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
In 1971, motoring journalist Brock Yates and racing champion Dan Gurney took a Ferrari 365 GTB from the Red Ball Garage in New York City to the Portofino Inn in Redondo Beach. Their time was thirty-five hours, fifty-four minutes. Gurney absolved himself, and Yates. "At no time did we exceed one hundred seventy-five miles per hour."

In 1976, a film producer named Chuck Ball stole a march on Yates and made the idea into a movie. The Gumball Rally is a comedy which pits a 365 GTS against a Shelby Cobra 427. All in good fun.

My favorite sequence has the freshly-serviced GTS backing out of a box truck moving at, perhaps, 40-50 mph. As soon as all four tires hit the road, the Ferrari leaves everything standing. In another sequence, the car puts a pursuing police helicopter far behind.

I was born too late.

Last edited: