What are your "comfort watches"?

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
My comfort watches are all animated. I'm a big fan of horror and zombies, but when real life gets too much to handle, I turn to stories that emphasize friendship and kindness.

Right now, I'd say my top comfort watches are (in order):

Steven Universe
Hunter x Hunter
Futurama (I loved it from the moment I heard this line in first episode)
My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic
Adventure Time

Last edited:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
My comfort watches are all animated. I'm a big fan of horror and zombies, but when real life gets too much to handle, I turn to stories that emphasize friendship and kindness.

Right now, I'd say my top comfort watches are (in order):

Steven Universe
Hunter x Hunter
Futurama (I loved it from the moment I heard this line in first episode)
My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic
Adventure Time

I totally agree. cartoons are more of a comfort than live-action.

I also agree that Steven Universe is a comfort watch. I'm only on season 3, so I'm only watching it for the first time, but I would 100% re-watch it.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Miami Vice
Grey's Anatomy
ER
Law&Order SVU
Centennial
Lonesome Dove
How the West was Won TV series. I tried the movie and could not get into it.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
As far as tv shows, my go to is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I watch it once or twice every year.
Firefly
Parks and Rec (just have to get past the first year, but its my feel-good show)

For movies:
Zombieland (it makes me laugh)
Labyrinth
Star Wars (either just the original trilogy, or I have to watch them all)
old Godzilla and King Kong movies (they remind me of good times with my mom)
Much Ado About Nothing
The Breakfast Club

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My comfort watches evolve over time. Some things that were formerly on the list (Babylon V, Blake's 7, Doctor Who, Numb3rs) don't speak to me right now the way they once did.

But some of the things I find myself reaching for now, the video chicken soup that makes me feel better these days, include:
My Neighbor Totoro
Topsy Turvy
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
The Fellowship of the Rings (not the other ones)
Death in Paradise
Father Brown
Nirvana in Fire

Last edited:

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
All of my comfort watches are related to nostalgia.

The Office
Boy Meets World
The Princess Diaries
Juno
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
School of Rock

mewellsmfu

Registered
Reaction score
LotR
My Cousin Vinnie
Columbo
The Great Escape
The Magnificent Seven (original)
Stargate (movie and all the shows)
I Love Lucy
30 Rock
A Fish Called Wanda
Robin Williams' comedies
Dave Chapelle, old George Carlin routines and Eddie Murphy in any form
Guardians of the Galaxy
and anything Monty Python

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
The Crow
Sleepy Hollow
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
LOTR trilogy
Outlander (vikings and man-eating space dragons, not that other one)
The 13th Warrior
Tombstone
Silverado
War of the Arrows
Venom
Van Helsing
Mulan
Willow

Ariel.Williams

Registered
Reaction score
I have go-to comfort shows for when I have a bad dream or am just generally creeped out at night (because I’m easily creeped out at night.) Lately those are Parks and Rec and Community. Parks and Rec, because as Satori1977 said before, it’s a feel good show. I also recommend Community to anyone who hasn’t watched; it’s a sitcom that plays with genres so you don’t know what show you’re going to watch episode to episode... except I do because I watched it so many times. I also used to watch the Buffy Musical episode whenever I was really sad or celebrating the semester ending or whatever, but then I watched it way to many times so I’m taking a break.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I very much like the first half of Out Of Africa, and I love almost all of The Lion In Winter - all of the bits with Kate Hepburn in, as long as I can squint out the dopey girlfriend.

- - - Updated - - -

I very much like the first half of Out Of Africa, and I love almost all of The Lion In Winter - all of the bits with Kate Hepburn in, as long as I can squint out the dopey girlfriend.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I am hooked on the Bronze Age Collapse: Hittites, Minoans, Myceneans, Egyptians-- Makes no never mind to me. I especially like to hear Dr. Eric Cline lecture on the subject. Before that it was Krakatoa, Santorini, volcanic eruptions in 536 A.D. Before that it was the Dyatlov Pass and the Flannan Islands. My shrink says I get a kick out of other people's misery. The misery has to be in the past and I shy away from plagues but yeah. She has a point.

There is an author named Keith McCloskey who soothes my jangled nerves. Love his books but I'd rather hear him talk.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Movies: LOTRs, The Hobbit, Star Wars, Fifth Element, Harry Potter
TV shows (don't think me crazy) Dr. Pimple Popper, My Feet are Killing Me, Forensic Files, Court TV, Lake Front/Beach Front Bargain Hunt, Tiny House Nation, Hotel Impossible, House Hunters/HH International
Youtube: cookie and cupcake decorating, Carpool Karaoke, Red Table Talk

To name a few. :D

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
When I was still teaching high school, my students would try to trigger my hyper gag reflex by showing me gross stuff on youtube. This was before televised pimple popping--just small stuff. We would be doing Spanish online and someone would say "Mrs. Smith, look at this." Thinking it would be the Zocolo in Puebla or a market in Oaxaca or a statue of El Cid, i'd step over and end up retching. Much to the delight and enjoyment of all. (Sometimes I miss the little Hooligans.)

My sister is hooked on Dr. Pimple P. and the feet show but they are too graphic for me. She talks about them constantly. I put my fingers in my ears and sing "Come and Get Your Love".

Screaming hoards of Sea People descending on peaceful Mediterranean ports, brightly dressed villagers being chased by torrents of red hot lava, Mexican cornfields that turn into smoking volcanoes while the paisanos take their siesta-- re-enacted terror or better yet, animated terror--that is what I crave.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
My family thinks I "have issues" because I love to watch that stuff. I have actually watched 12 minute long Youtube videos of various things being squeezed out. I love when they do old blackheads that come out in pieces and that moment where a huge chunk comes out...so satisfying. Yeah. I guess it's a bit sick. haha. The strange thing is, I don't like watching those "funniest home videos" where people fall off their bikes or bang themselves on the end of a trampoline jumping from their roof or having horrible falls on their skateboards. That actually makes me queasy. Go figure.

Just watched a great Netflix series called Lenox Hill. They show actual brain surgeries! It was a very well done series. Quite fascinating and a bit emotional as well. All I can say is if I ever need (or anyone of my loved one need) brain surgery, I want to go there!

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
There are a few movies I go back to despite having them memorized by now. I watched Super 8 again last week in fact. I like the interaction of a group of friends in movies, and this one does it well. I watched Twister time and again because of the ensemble around the main characters.

But lately I've been watching Korean TV dramas. Yes, a very peculiar genre for a Westerner, but they have their own charm. I'd recommend Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, and Hotel Del Luna, as two of the more outstanding examples, but a more realistic one is Weight Lifting Fairy Kim Bok-Joo. Both seasons of Hello My Twenties! are good, though I prefer the first.

ingrid.who

Registered
Reaction score
Desperate Housewives - I've been rewatching from series 1 on Amazon Prime
Extras
The Office UK
And the last poster has just inspired me to rewatch the Harry Potter films - although, I wouldn't mind reading them all again to be honest, it's been years!

Blue Skies

Registered
Reaction score
Batman Returns on bluray.
I find the character study of Selina Kyle (i.e. my mum) quite intriguing. Michelle Pfeifer is like the best actress ever. As for the extras:
Commentary by Tim Burton-10/10. Humorous, informative, insightful. Burton rocks.
Music video-Face to Face by Siouxie and the Banhshees-9/10
Plethora of docu-bits- 9/10- Covers everything from character analyses to soundtrack composition.
Overall: 10/10. Along with Spectre and Star Wars 3, my favourite movie ever.

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
Whisper of the Heart. It's a Japanese animated film, by the same studio that made Spirited Away (Studio Ghibli). I've read many amazing non-fiction books about the art of writing but this film (fictional, based on a comic) has taught me the most about the challenges and joys of honing your craft. Just beautiful.

Edit: if you have Netflix and are curious, it's on there. Otherwise, well worth getting on DVD. :)

Last edited:

badatwriting

Registered
Reaction score
A masterful one is the Paddington films, both of which are personal favorites. I also love Pixar, particularly The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, and the first Toy Story.

milotry

swamp dweller
Registered
Reaction score
For films: Indiana Jones 1-3, Star Wars 4-6, Pirates of the Caribbean 1-3, Lilo & Stitch, Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, The Princess Bride, Kiki's Delivery Service, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Pacific Rim, Twilight (the rainy Washington state weather and pretty forests are comforting, ok?)

For TV: The Good Place, Brooklyn 99, Parks and Rec, The Office (US), Good Omens, Steven Universe, Avatar: TLA, Star Trek TNG

A lot of these aren't things that would occur to me when asked to list my actual favourite films or TV shows, which is kind of interesting.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
No big list, but I like 'reality' TV about people helping people - 'Live Rescue', game wardens back East, a local doc series about paramedics. People doing their best to keep people (and animals) safe.
Also, one of the local channels is showing the original 'Law & Order' in two-hour blocks. Jerry Orbach is an immensely soothing presence, I find.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I fell out of the movie and TV world ages ago, but if given the choice to watch something just for good old fun:

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Dumb and Dumber
Best in Show

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Oh man, if you enjoyed Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure, I highly recommend Bill and Ted Face the Music. They’re still relentlessly positive, and the whole movie is wonderfully uplifting.

It’s still a Bill and Ted movie, with a mildly stupid air and goofball jokes, but I loved the hell out of it. The minute it was over, I went to search to see if the blu ray was already available (not until November).

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
I love a good uplifting rom-com despite being the least romantic person ever - Music and Lyrics, Notting Hill, One Fine Day, 27 Dresses, Bridget Jones's Diary, The Wedding Singer...

Also anything with Sandra Bullock, Grease, Wall-e, The Office (US), Big Dreams Small Spaces (a British gardening show), Rosehaven, Call the Midwife and Star Trek Voyager.

Famoustapu

Registered
Reaction score
My comfort series are:

Big Bang theory
How I Met Your mother
Friends
The office
Grey's Anatomy