Federal judge criticizes Roberts SC “assault on democracy”

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, this seems unusual?

A Federal Judge Condemned the “Roberts Court’s Assault on Democracy.’’ It’s About Time.

Slate said:
Nowhere is the problem of asymmetrical rhetorical warfare more apparent than in the federal judiciary. For the past several years, federal judges, notably those appointed by Donald J. Trump, have felt unmoored from any standard judicial conventions of circumspection and restraint, penning screeds about the evils of “big government” and rants against Planned Parenthood. Most of the judicial branch, though, has declined to engage in this kind of rhetoric. There are norms, after all, and conventions, standards, and protocols. There seems to also be an agreement that conservative judges demonstrate deeply felt passion when they delve into such issues, while everyone else just demonstrates “bias” if they decide to weigh in. So when Justice Clarence Thomas just last year used a dissent to attack the integrity of a sitting federal judge in the census case, it was mere clever wordsmithing. But when Justice Sonia Sotomayor suggests, as she did recently, that the conservative wing of the high court seems to be privileging the Trump administration’s emergency petitions, she is labeled—by the president himself—unfit to judge. It’s such a long-standing trick, and it’s so well supported by the conservative outrage machine, that it’s easy to believe that critiques of fellow judges by conservative judges are legitimate, while such critiques from liberal judges are an affront to the legitimacy of the entire federal judiciary.

This dynamic is why it’s so astonishing to see progressive judges really go for broke in criticizing conservative bias in the judiciary, as U.S. District Court Judge Lynn Adelman does in criticizing the five conservative justices on the Roberts Supreme Court in an upcoming Harvard Law review article. The article begins, brutally:

By now, it is a truism that Chief Justice John Roberts’ statement to the Senate Judiciary Committee that a Supreme Court justice’s role is the passive one of a neutral baseball “umpire who [merely] calls the balls and strikes” was a masterpiece of disingenuousness. Roberts’ misleading testimony inevitably comes to mind when one considers the course of decision-making by the Court over which he presides. This is so because the Roberts Court has been anything but passive. Rather, the Court’s hard right majority is actively participating in undermining American democracy. Indeed, the Roberts Court has contributed to insuring that the political system in the United States pays little attention to ordinary Americans and responds only to the wishes of a relatively small number of powerful corporations and individuals.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I agree with you that it's about time, Introversion, but unfortunately this is another sign of the erosion of rule of law. When the hierarchies of the courts lose respect for one another, it's dangerous. I am loathe to say it because too many of the conservative SCOTUS justices have participated in said undermining of RoL and deserve the derision, but it does worry me.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But at least someone is speaking out about said erosion rather than ignoring the elephant in the room.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I agree with you that it's about time, Introversion, but unfortunately this is another sign of the erosion of rule of law. When the hierarchies of the courts lose respect for one another, it's dangerous. I am loathe to say it because too many of the conservative SCOTUS justices have participated in said undermining of RoL and deserve the derision, but it does worry me.

Yeah, it's actually very troubling. And people are gradually losing faith in our courts and in the decisions they make. That can lead to a breakdown in our system, because the courts are supposed to play a role in moderating the legislation passed by the more extreme politicians. If people stop trusting them to do this, there will be a breakdown in the rule of law.