• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's your Opinion on Creating Names?

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking about this lately, and in a writing book I read, the author strongly suggested creating names before creating the character -- like she couldn't even write the personality if she hadn't decided the name first, and each name has a personality. To be honest, I think this is needless (at least as writing advice), because people don't necessarily write that way. I don't. To me, each character has their own personality, and once I get the character going, it's at that point that I end up trying to find a name that fits. To me, picking the name first is like putting the shoe before the foot.

Making up names is fun, sure, but sometimes I just kinda pick a name of a coworker, make up some random stuff, or whatever. Some of my names have meaning, and others just sound right for the character. Though I admit I have used weird ideas. Like in the main story in my anthology, all of the alien characters have names of sounds -- for example, "Terwa" is from "caterwaul" and "Miaul" is an old fashioned way to say "meow."

I'm not really asking for advice, just kind of asking, how do you guys come up with names, and do they have to come before or after the character?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes the name comes first, sometimes later.

One resource I use for names is FindAGrave.com. I can look for names common to the area the story takes place. I mix and match first and last names until I get one that works. I used to do this with phone books (remember those?) and I had several from around the country.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write most of my novels with characters named James, Beverly, Daniel, and Natalie, because I can type them fast and those character strings don't appear in other words. Later, when the right name comes to me, I just do a search and replace. Voila!

But I know people who absolutely cannot move forward without a name for every character, or their appearance in excruciating detail, or all about their childhood or politics... And if that's what they need, and it works for them, who am I to say only my way is right?

Maryn, or is it James?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write most of my novels with characters named James, Beverly, Daniel, and Natalie, because I can type them fast and those character strings don't appear in other words. Later, when the right name comes to me, I just do a search and replace. Voila!

I once had a character named Lance whose name I changed to Brice with a search and replace. Suddenly my characters were shooting each other quick gbrices and gbricing over their shoulders.

"Whole words only." It's a thing.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I once had a character named Lance whose name I changed to Brice with a search and replace. Suddenly my characters were shooting each other quick gbrices and gbricing over their shoulders.

I'd have thought it'd have respected case sensitivity as Lance is different from lance...but I like the funny result of gbrices and gbricing (though shouldn't the 2nd be gbriceing) :)

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I flesh out the character before I assign a name. Sometimes the name comes instantly, sometimes I need to visit baby name sites or download lists of registered names from my character's birth year. For main characters, the name has to feel right and I do like to have it decided before I start writing. Minor characters get the first name I think of that feels okay.

I'd have thought it'd have respected case sensitivity as Lance is different from lance...but I like the funny result of gbrices and gbricing (though shouldn't the 2nd be gbriceing) :)

Word does do this, but only if you check the right box. Same with the whole word thing.

I sometimes wish the search function had more options. I tried to do an adverb search when my main character was called Ally...

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

You can fix that by putting a space in front of the word. So [space]Lance will not find glance.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing screenplays, not novels. For a grand series planned, I have thousands of named characters (some human, humanoid, animals, and so forth). I had to get creative in naming characters. I use free, online Web tools designed for Scrabble to come up with my unique names. Most often, my characters have first and last names. Combined, they are a collective anagram of a larger word. I use this larger word to help flesh them out. E.g. I start with Flowerchild and end up with Orchid Fewll. Some bullies might bully her for her surname (fool). This is not one of my characters, but an example. Not too difficult to come up with with the online tools.

When dealing with a large ensemble, of interconnected projects, it helps do multitask. I get creative names and I often know if they are good/bad, aggressors/victims, gender, and I get a prompt (e.g. flowerchild) to flesh him/her out. Just a matter of plug-n-play with assets created in frontend work.

It takes time doing this, but you can get some really nice names.

anaemic_mind

I come with accessories now
Registered
Reaction score
Some names come to me straight away and rarely get changed. My current antagonist has the same surname as a chef whose book is on my shelf in the kitchen where my desk is. They tend to be the minor characters on the whole though.

Major ones I mostly struggle with but make a conscious decision to not let that get in the way of writing so assign them all letter codes, otherwise I know I'd just spend hours procrastinating over placeholder instead of writing. So, the main character is AA AAA, their wife is BA AAA, their children are A#1, A#2 etc.... and I just carry on through the alphabet. I then use Scrivener's replace feature in the compile to try out names as I read and edit scenes. Once I'm happy I then do I find and replace.

Only downside of this is after a while I tend to be blind to the codes, even after I'm 90% decided on a name I like...as displayed in the first three sentences thread recently when I cut and pasted direct from Scrivener, not the compiled ebook and didn't notice the codes until someone pointed them out :rolleyes:

As for coming up with names...I write contemporary fiction so my starting point is usually common or uncommon names for that locality, their ethnicity, religion and other background so official government stats websites, baby names sites get used a lot. Most of the time I don't know what their background is until much of the story is drafted.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I've written a few mss dealing with real (historical) people, so the names are not an issue.

When I have to come up with names, I've generally had little difficulty coming up with a name, and I very, very rarely change the names. I sit down and say, Right, so I have a character. What should I name him/her?

The answer usually comes to me without a whole lot of effort. Since I write historical fiction, the names have to be plausible for the time period, and that can sometimes be fun. You won't come across too many Eliezers in this day and age, but Eliezer isn't out of place for the Victorian age. Sometimes the names are oblique references to real people: I have a character named Everett, a reference to Edward Everett, who was the featured speaker when the Gettysburg cemetery was consecrated, and a character named Julia for Julia Grant, wife of Ulysses S. Grant.

Some names have thematic meaning. In a pair of Civil War mss, the Confederate character is called Gray and the Union character is called Mazarine, which is a shade of blue. Get it? Get it? In another WIP, a character goes by Wendy, mostly because her love interest is going by Peter (both aliases, chosen independently). Her real name is Alice. Get it? Get it?

I've gotten a few names from people I've worked with, etc.

But mostly, the names just kind of come to me. How about . . . Betty? Harry? Clara? Tommy? Ann?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
In a current WIP there are different types of humanoids as well as aliens, ghosts, and regular humans. At first I thought of keeping, say alien names, alien-ish, but then I realized that these aliens have been in contact with humans for hundreds of years. That means some of them might name their children human names. For example my alien FMC is named Kora, while another alien is named Jeganna.

As for your question...my names come when the character is just an inkling of an idea. I need that perfect name right away so I have something to call them by.

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
Lol, I'm not that way at all. I easily identify them in my head, and then I realize, weeks over musing the idea, that they have no name and I should probably get on that.

As for using "replace all" on names, I use that sometimes. It's especially useful on unusual or foreign names. Generally I use a weird symbol that would not occur naturally in writing. Like when I used [] for the name of an alien species until it was figured out. For a story set in Korea, I used 1], 2], and 3] for unnamed characters until I could get to a baby-names site to figure out what their names were going to be.

Probably my favorite way of getting names is to record interesting typos and then reference them when creating alien characters. Super useful.