• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta readers/swap for portal fantasy, 100k words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I am once again looking for betas for my portal fantasy novel, Colossi (working title). It is finished at 100k words. Here's a blurb:
_____
Nature-mage Madyna protects her island nation from the leviathans dwelling off its shores. Having studied the creatures since childhood, Madyna’s expertise and her magic allow her people to co-exist with them inside the barrier that protects them from the outside world… and the outside world from them. But when that barrier fractures, a vessel encroaches into Madyna’s home: an unsuspecting cruise ship bound for Hawaii.

The leviathans attack the vessel on sight. Madyna’s swift intervention saves only a fraction of the passengers. The beasts were her responsibility, and so are their victims. Now she has hundreds of survivors to protect, with incoming rescue ships certain to suffer the same fate.
_____

Right now, I'm looking for general commentary and polish, with some specific attention paid to the characterization/engagement of a secondary point of view character whose development and arc have recently been overhauled. I am open to swapping for a finished work of similar length or less. I prefer SF/F, but I'm open to many genres, though I am not the best fit for romance or middle grade stories.

If you are interested in reading or doing a swap, feel free to post here, or PM me! :)

Last edited:

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for betas on this project again! :D
I've updated all relevant details in the first post. If you're interested or would like to know more, feel free to comment or PM me.

Afalstein

Registered
Reaction score
Website
afalsteinjdkloosterman.wordpress.com
I would be willing to do a swap, however it's not really a beta read I'm requesting. I have a YA supernatural story due to publish at the end of August, and what I need most are advance reviewers--people to read the book ahead of time and submit an Amazon review once it's up. The story's about 97K words, so it's about as long as yours.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I would be willing to do a swap, however it's not really a beta read I'm requesting. I have a YA supernatural story due to publish at the end of August, and what I need most are advance reviewers--people to read the book ahead of time and submit an Amazon review once it's up. The story's about 97K words, so it's about as long as yours.

PM sent!

Still looking, and open to more readers/swaps.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I am once again looking for readers, so I'm giving this thread a bump. :D

kujo_jotaro

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! I'm also looking for a CP. I posted mine up a while ago and found myself a really great CP but now that I've gone through all her edits I'd like an extra pair or two of eyes to go over my revised version.

Mine is MG Sci-Fi/Fantasy (don't really know which to define it as at the moment) and is meant to be a little more on the funny side. My word count is 81k but I'm not concerned with your word count. It's fine for me. Am PMing you just to make sure you see it.

EmmaSkysong

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Fiender! :) Would you also be interested in a swap of the first 10,000 ish words? I'm not sure I have enough time to commit to a whole manuscript right now, but let me know if you'd find swapping beginnings helpful. I'd be looking for input on my YA dragonrider fantasy. Thanks!

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
@EmmaSkysong
I wouldn't mind doing a swap, but I'm really only looking for full beta reads. :(

EmmaSkysong

Registered
Reaction score
@EmmaSkysong
I wouldn't mind doing a swap, but I'm really only looking for full beta reads. :(

No problem! In a few months if you're still looking and I have more time for a full swap, I'll shoot you a message. I already just have two fulls on my plate that I need to finish!

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
No problem! In a few months if you're still looking and I have more time for a full swap, I'll shoot you a message. I already just have two fulls on my plate that I need to finish!

Sounds good to me! ^_^

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Now that I've finished a round of revisions, I'm gonna open this back up. I'm still mostly looking to comments on polish and adjustments, as well as feedback on the secondary POV character's arc which I have recently revised. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.