Fixed Versus Growth Mindsets - Society or Psychology?

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I was on a plane recently (yes, I know COVID-19), and a woman came walking down the aisle reading a book that had the word "mind" at the end of it. Turns out the book was entitled "The Naked Mind" which is a book that she claimed would change my views on alcohol. As we talked a bit, she recommended another one, titled "Mindset - The New Psychology of Success"by Carol Dweck, (c) 2007. I couldn't find the first on my Kindle Unlimited in time before the flight took off, but the latter was available on Audible. So, I downloaded it with the few minutes of internet I had left and started to give it a listen. Fair warning, the voice over talent (Bernadette Dunne) is not very good - very robotic and lacking much in giving the narration any life, BUT...

The content turns out to be very interesting. I ended up pausing and taking notes for the first few chapters so far. In essence, the premise is based on the principle of two mindsets we have as humans: a fixed mindset and a growth mindset. The writing cites both studies and anecdotes illustrating that a growth mindset is the one worth cultivating, whether your focus is on improving your relationships, your career, school, and even parenting.

At times the writing seems kind of hokey, and very "self-help" in its overtones. However, the underlying themes are very intriguing, and I find the overall purpose beind the book interesting enough to keep reading/listening. I can only take about 20-30 minutes of it at a time because of the narration. What is most striking to me so far is the argument that it's not a binary sort of thing where we as humans are either one or the other, but that we are a combination of both.

Knowing that there are quite a few academics here, I'd like to hear from others who have read this and get their thoughts on the writing. Do you agree with Ms. Dweck's conclusions? What are your thoughts on the entire work? Have you read anything else that falls under this umbrella? What category would you put this book into?

Other questions worth considering: is this fixed versus growth mindset something that all of us experience? What constitutes awareness of which mindset is dominant for us? If discernible through self=actualization, can we change it ourselves, or do we need external forces? Of course, another alternative would be that this is not a binary sort of thing either, that it could be a little of both all the time.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this, whether you've read the book or not :)

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
The primary school my kids go/went to (the younger one is still at the school, at least until they close it on Friday for the COVID thing) preached the whole fixed v growth mindset thing ad nauseum lol. But I think it is a very important thing to instil in children and my kids did very well at the school and the one at secondary school is doing well there as well.

I don't know how the book in question defines the whole growth mindset thing, having not read it. There is a tendency for people to take legitimate research and put their own spin on it and blow it all out of context and add in a whole lot of opinion and unproven assertions before they sell an idea as a book. So without reading it I don't even know how they're defining "growth mindset" never mind whether I agree with the writer's spin on it.

As I understand it, a growth mindset simply refers to the ability for people to perceive their abilities/skills/etc as a work in progress, not something that's fixed. Saying "I'm not good at maths" and letting this belief stop you from learning, trying, progressing, etc in maths because you believe that you've not been blessed with the gift of maths so there's no point trying is a fixed mindset. Saying "I don't understand this maths but if I keep trying or ask for more help and then keep on trying and practising, I'll get the hang of it" is a growth mindset.

In practical terms a lot of it is about how teachers speak to the children and how they teach the children to deal with failure and difficulty. No longer will teachers tell children they're rubbish at something or get cross with them for getting it wrong. They also don't label children as "good at maths" "bad at maths" etc. Instead they'll give children constructive feedback on how to improve and encourage them to keep trying. When children say things like "I'm rubbish at this" the teacher will help them with what they're stuck on and get them to believe "I can do it if I keep trying". The whole ethos is one of encouraging a growth mindset.

Another related thing that I learned when I was a teacher is that having a growth mindset comes from people's beliefs about how much control they have over their successes and failures.

People who believe that success is down to luck/external factors (you were born good at it; your doing something well was a fluke) and that failure is also down to luck/external factors don't have much motivation to keep trying. You do something, it doesn't work out therefore you're not good at it and there's no point trying. This leads to a lack of success which unfortunately reinforces the believe that they're just not good at it.

People who believe that success is down to how much work you put in but failure is down to luck/external factors (it failed because random factors did not go in my favour; it failed because other people did stuff wrong) are motivated to keep on trying to achieve success but will get frustrated by failure and blame others or bad luck when it goes wrong, rather than learning from it.

People who believe that success is down to luck/external factors and failure is down to them are poorly motivated as they perceive that they have no control over their ability to succeed at anything, but blame themselves and beat themselves up when things go wrong. This mindset is particularly bad for mental health.

People who attribute both success and failure to their own efforts have the best motivation and the best chances of succeeding as they are motivated to work hard to achieve success and are able to reflect on failure and see what they can do better next time. These people don't get frustrated by failure but instead see it as a learning experience and will bounce back and keep on trying. This is the best mindset to have, both in terms of succeeding in the long term and having good mental health.

Teachers therefore must help students to learn that success and failure is within their control. It's very important not to punish kids for failing but instead to help them reflect on what went wrong and what they could do better next time. It's also important how you praise kids for success as you don't want them to believe that their success is down to luck (which includes the idea that they were born able). So for example you don't say "you're so gifted at maths" you say stuff like "you're enthusiasm and hard work in maths really paid off. That was a great score you got in the test." You're attributing the success to interest, effort and work, not inborn ability.

While I think that it's very important to instil a growth mindset in children, I think it is also important to acknowledge that some people are born with more ability than others (although this only makes someone a good beginner - no-one is born an expert - that comes from years of hard work) and that hidden disabilities such as dyslexia exist. But you can acknowledge those things while still keeping people in a growth mindset. For example, I'm dyslexic and can still read and write well. It took me quite a lot longer to learn this, I have to use a spell checker and I'm probably never going to be one of those people who can read a whole novel in an afternoon, but I can still read well enough to read any book I want to. I hate it when teachers and other people think that dyslexia means never being able to read and write because it's just totally not true. It means kids need a lot of extra help and the right teaching methods (synthetic phonics in most cases) and the kid will need to work that much harder, but it can be done. That's a growth mindset. "I can't read because I'm dyslexic" = fixed mindset. "I can't read that well YET because I'm dyslexic BUT I'M WORKING ON IT" = growth mindset.

ETA: all the above also applies to adults too. It's just I've always approached the whole thing as a teacher and a parent. I do encourage myself to have a growth mindset too though.

Last edited:

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Totally off-topic but I know Bernadette Dunne from her narration of Shirley Jackson novels like We Have Always Lived in the Castle and The Haunting of Hill House. The idea of her reading a self-help book is ... to say the least, odd!

:e2coffee: