#Nero: Words fail me

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve never given him much credit for intelligence nor education, but do you really think he could possibly be this ignorant of the meaning of what he retweeted?? Is he just trolling the nation?

The president golfed this weekend, then shared an image that critics say likened him to Nero fiddling as Rome burned.

Huff Post said:
President Donald Trump shared a meme on Sunday with an image of himself playing a fiddle and text warning that “nothing can stop what’s coming.”

Given the rapid spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus combined with the sinking markets ― including Dow futures plunging nearly 1,000 points around the time the president tweeted ― more than a few found the message a little ominous.

The president also added his own sentiment to the meme posted by his social media director, saying it sounds good to him... even if the meaning isn’t exactly clear:

The phrase in the meme is popular among QAnon conspiracy theorists, some of whom celebrated the tweet.

But Trump’s critics on Twitter were quick to suggest the image might have a meaning the president likely didn’t anticipate: The popular – if probably untrue – legend of Nero fiddling as Rome burns around him.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, facepalm, LOL, facepalm....

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing Trump had going for him (other than the racism) was the strong economy (which he's had very little to do with, other than increasing corporate profits). Looks like his luck finally ran out. We still have eight months before the election. Will the country and the world recover in time?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
In spite of all this, his approval ratings since this outbreak started appear to be pretty much where they've been for most of his presidency. I have little confidence this stupidity will change anything. It's all down to who is most motivated to show up in November and in which states, I suppose. And if the coronavirus does fizzle over the summer, guess who will take credit for that?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I love memes, but this one is kind of...troubling?

Also, the pedant in me is SCREAMING to clear up any historical inaccuracies regarding Nero, but I'll let it be.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Wondering if his 'social media director' is working for him or against him? Surely a competent person would have edited the tweet, or added context, or something?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Wondering if his 'social media director' is working for him or against him? Surely a competent person would have edited the tweet, or added context, or something?

His social media director may very well be some aide's thirteen-year-old kid, who may or may not have any idea who Nero was, never mind the mythology around him.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score

Trump is his own Press Director, Head Strategist, Political Aide, and WH Secretary. Trump never gets any counsel; it works the other way around.

As former Press Secretary Sanders once said - Trump's tweets speaks for themselves.

As former Press Secretary Spicer once said - Trump's tweets are official statements from POTUS.

So there.

-cb

Last edited: