Multiple 1st person POV novels

Ed_in_Bed

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

I'm not sure if this is the right bit of the forum to ask this, but I was wondering if anyone has come across a well-written book that uses multiple 1st person POV characters? Any genre. I'm just interested to see how they deal with the switches.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Ed.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Better Liar by Tanen Jones - it's a dual 1st POVs — the switches happen at chapter breaks.

katfeete

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunsetgrillcomic.com
Naomi Novik’s Spinning Silver uses multiple first-person viewpoints very effectively — I wasn’t confused, though my mother complained she occasionally got tripped up. Novak also used chapter breaks. Superb book, well worth reading.

I’ve also read multiple epistolary novels (Wrede and Stevermer’s Sorcery and Cecilia, Brust and Bull’s Freedom and Necessity) that are obviously multiple firsts — probably not what you’re writing but they may be worth a look for stealing tricks.

Last edited:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
If you don't mind a self-rec (it's up to readers if they're well-written, lol!), but most of my books are dual 1st POVs. The Road Home, The Husband Gambit, and Risky Behavior are examples. They switch POV at chapter breaks, as Elle mention that Tanne Jones does, and each chapter is marked with the name of the POV character (I didn't do that in the beginning, but enough of my readers said they prefer it that way that I decided to make it my default; readers who don't need the chapter labels just ignore them.)

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Sarah Waters has a couple of books that do this - Fingersmith and Affinity are both very good examples as they use fun differences in voice to distinguish the narrations. Both of these alternate — Affinity has a main narration in one POV, and interludes in another POV, while Fingersmith switches about halfway through the book (and then switches back later, as I recall).

Another fairly recent book with dual first-person POVs is Elizabeth Wein’s outstanding Code Name Verity. This book switches halfway through, and plays with both voice and narrator reliability in very clever ways.

Finally for an older book with four first-person POV’s, try Vera Caspary’s noir classic Laura. The POV changes every few chapters, as I recall, though I’m not sure if any of the characters gets more than one turn to narrate (I just don’t remember).

:e2coffee:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
My go to for this is The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. She has four or five (it's a while since I've read it!) first person narrators.

Ed_in_Bed

Registered
Reaction score
That's brilliant. Thanks, all, for the recommendations. Thank goodness AW is back online :)

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
The Noughts and Crosses series by Malorie Blackman.