The President Is Winning His War on American Institutions

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is depressing, but I think worth a read for the firsthand accounts.

How Trump is destroying the civil service and bending the government to his will

The Atlantic said:

As the executive orders and other requests for the office’s approval piled up, many of them of dubious legality, one of Newland’s supervisors took to saying, “We’re just following orders.” He said it without irony, as a way of reminding everyone, “We work for the president.” He said it once to Newland, and when she gave him a look he added, “I know that’s what the Nazis said, but we’re not Nazis.”

“The president has said that some of them are very fine people,” Newland reminded him.

“Attorney General Sessions never said that,” the supervisor replied. “Steve never said that, and I’ve never said that. We’re not Nazis.” That she could still have such an exchange with a supervisor seemed in itself like a reason not to leave.

But Newland, who is Jewish, sometimes asked herself: If she and her colleagues had been government lawyers in Germany in the 1930s, what kind of bureaucrat would each of them have been? There were the ideologues, the true believers, like one Clarence Thomas protégé. There were the opportunists who went along to get ahead. There were a handful of quiet dissenters. But many in the office just tried to survive by keeping their heads down. “I guess I know what kind I would have been,” Newland told me. “I would have stayed in the Nazi administration initially and then fled.” She thinks she would have been the kind of official who pushed for carve-outs in the Nuremberg Race Laws, preserving citizenship rights for Germans with only partial Jewish ancestry. She would have felt that this was better than nothing—that it justified having worked in the regime at the beginning.

Newland and her colleagues were saving Trump from his own lies. They were using their legal skills to launder his false statements and jury-rig arguments so that presidential orders would pass constitutional muster. When she read that producers of The Apprentice had had to edit episodes in order to make Trump’s decisions seem coherent, she realized that the attorneys in the Office of Legal Counsel were doing something similar. Loyalty to the president was equated with legality. “There was hardly any respect for the other departments of government—not for the lower courts, not for Congress, and certainly not for the bureaucracy, for professionalism, for facts or the truth,” she told me. “Corruption is the right word for this. It doesn’t have to be pay-to-play to be corrupt. It’s a departure from the oath.”

In the fall of 2018, Newland learned that she and five colleagues would receive the Attorney General’s Distinguished Service Award for their work on executive orders in 2017. The news made her sick to her stomach; her office probably thought she would feel honored by the award. She marveled at how the administration’s conduct had been normalized. But she also suspected that department higher-ups were using the career people to justify policies such as the travel ban—at least, the award would be seen that way. Newland and another lawyer stayed away from the ceremony where the awards were presented, on October 24.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Yeah, I'm not seeing a way out of the total destruction worked here, not for at least a generation. Even if the absolute longshot odds play out of a blue wave in November, the nation's foundation has been undermined, and too much damage has been done to core institutions and ideas. We might be able to salvage something at the state level, but the federal seems to have been pretty thoroughly corrupted at this point.

Stick a fork in the eagle. It's done.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
There's also the slight matter of your reputation and credibility to other countries.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's also the slight matter of your reputation and credibility to other countries.

I can’t tell whether this administration doesn’t care about that, or doesn’t understand. Probably depends on the person. And, probably both, for some.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I can’t tell whether this administration doesn’t care about that, or doesn’t understand. Probably depends on the person. And, probably both, for some.

Those who consider the regime to be in the pocket of certain foreign powers would say that this is a feature, not a bug - a planned gutting of American standing and credibility by those who stand to gain by our fall.

At the very least, the regime doesn't seem to care. Whether that's through simple ignorance and short-sightedness or something more sinister, the end result is the same.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

But AMERICA is the greatest country ever, so if other countries think poorly of us, it reflects on them, not us. Seriously, for some people, pariah status is a badge of honor, because they don't have a lot of respect for other countries anyway and many Americans have an inflated sense of our ability to go it alone.

Last edited: