COVID-19: Living in its Bullseye -- A 1st Hand Account

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, AW!

I'm Snitchcat. And I live in China.

We've been dealing with COVID-19 since Day 0, and are still dealing with it. The infection count has slowed now, as has the death toll, but that doesn't mean we're relaxing; instead, we're maintaining full vigilance but life is starting to return to a semblance of normality.

Question is, how do you survive and continue living daily life under such a threatening disease? And how do you get through cabin fever if you're quarantined or isolated for at least two months?

From a personal viewpoint, and first hand experience, this is my list of things to stock up on and do. I've also got some cleaning tips, and will be adding more information when I can.

Feel free to ask questions; I'll answer what I can.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
What I've found effective to stock up on / do:

Household items:

• Alcohol-based hand sanitizer -- works well against Covid-19; make sure you have portable versions that you can keep in your bag, too.
  • Disinfectant -- wipes, liquid cleaners, etc.
  • Bleach (about one bottle)
  • Laundry detergent
  • Dish detergent
  • Soap -- bars are multi-purpose: laundry, hands, shower/bath, cleaning.
  • Scouring pads/sponges -- cloth, IMO, isn't effective when you need to scrub surfaces.
  • Toilet rolls -- figure one pack per person in the family, or thereabouts.
  • Paper towels -- back up for toilet rolls.
  • Masks -- N95 if you can get these, otherwise surgical masks are good, too. People claim they're not effective, but better to wear them (indoors/offices/in crowds) than not at all; they help reduce the chances of you breathing in droplets from other people's coughs/sneezes/etc.
  • Surgical gloves -- or the close-fitting latex type. Use these when you're handling anything that the public touches, e.g., hand rails, door handles/knobs, chairs/tables/etc.

Food:

• Cans -- Protein is important; it helps provide energy without the sugar crash.
  • Pasta
  • Rice -- a 5kg bag should be sufficient.
  • Food you can grow -- vegetables, garlic, onions, whatever you like as long as you can grow it (probably won't need this extreme, but good to know).
  • Pot noodles -- unhealthy, but good in a pinch.
  • Distilled water -- if you can afford it, otherwise, boil all water before drinking.
  • Pet food -- if you have pets.
  • Cat litter -- if you have indoor cats.
  • Pet wipes -- body, eyes, paws.
  • Vitamin C -- not to fend off the virus, but to help boost your immune system to help fend off anything else that may affect your immune system (obviously, the immuno-compromised/suppressed will have their own practices, medication, etc.).

Hygiene Practices:

• Wash your hands as often as practicable, but especially before meals -- preparing/cooking/eating/washing up.
  • Avoid touching your face.
  • After you return home from being outside, disinfect your shoes (spray bottle of disinfectant or bleach:water (1:99) is good for this; remember the soles!)/glasses/keys/phone/laptop/purse/purse content (including loose change, bills, cards)/jewellery/etc.
  • If you bring in any item from the outside of your home, disinfect that item.
  • Put your clothes for that day in the washing machine and shut the door/lid; not the laundry basket. The washing machine door seal is good against the spread of germs.
  • Wash your hands immediately without touching anything else; if not possible, disinfect the surfaces you've touched.
  • Wash your hair -- but make sure the water runs away from your face!
  • Remember to wash your feet -- do not let the water/soap just run to your feet; actually wash them.
  • If you have outdoor pets that come in, remember to clean them, especially their paws.
  • Clean your house/flat/apartment before disinfecting -- frequency is up to you.

Actions in Crowds/Public Places:
  • If you elect not to wear a mask, stay at least 0.5m to 1m away from other people in public places.
  • Avoid crowds/large gatherings/etc.
  • Avoid consuming any food/drink that is not prepared by cooks/servers wearing masks -- this seems trivial, but this is one of the quickest ways a virus spreads.
  • If you are eating in public, try to avoid anyone who chews with their mouth open -- this is unhygienic anyway, but even more so now; also, chew with your mouth closed, too.
  • Cover your nose/mouth when sneezing/coughing -- tissues are good! And if someone else doesn't, move away.
  • Unless it's absolutely necessary to go out, remain at home -- this probably is impractical for the majority of people, but something to keep in mind if you can work from home/teach from home/etc.
  • Wear gloves if you have to touch anything in public -- at the very least disinfect your hands after you've touched anything in public.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
FLUSHING THE TOILET

• Before flushing, put the lid down. Splashing droplets from an open bowl can land up to 6ft away.

WATER PIPES
  • Make sure water FILLS all U-bends. This stops the virus / germs from taking hold in a dark humid environment.
  • For icy conditions, mix in something to keep the freezing temperature well above 0°C / 32°F.
  • Clean all water pipes with a weak solution of bleach (1 part bleach : 99 parts water) or other cleaning agent. Frequency is up to you.
  • Disinfect all faucets / shower heads -- knobs, spouts, levers, hoses, tubes, anything related to it.

MAIN DOOR / FRONT DOOR AREA
  • Every time you return from outside, make sure ALL items that went out with you do NOT go farther than the area just inside your front door.
  • Before you step in, spray your shoes (and SOLES) with disinfectant. You can do this before or after you take them off.
  • If you must wear footwear indoors, get easy-to-clean slippers.
  • Keep (biodegradeable) plastic sheets nearby to lay on the floor just after you step out. When you come back in, stay on that sheet until you have disinfected all items carried inside.
  • If it helps you, leave a large bin liner next to the door (or line your dirty laundry container) and dump ALL external clothes in said liner. Eg, cardigan, sweater, scarf, socks, extra layers, etc.
  • Wrap your coat / gloves / hat in a plastic sheet / clothing bag / bin liner. You'll need to disinfect these items, too, but the plastic wrapper is for your convenience -- somewhere to put things.
  • Remember to disinfect your umbrella, too!
  • Remember to disinfect your front door, including keyhole, letter box (applies mainly to the UK), and other surface you wouldn't normally.
  • Did you touch the edge of the curtain / blinds / net curtain / covering? Disinfect that too.

OVERWHELMED TIPS

• Be methodical when cleaning / disinfecting.
  • If you need to, put a checklist with a pen in each room / by the front door. Go through each item. Disinfect each item and tick it off. Make photocopies of these lists for repeat use.
  • If necessary, put enough cleaning and disinfecting items in each room / by the front door. Easy reach. Convenient, and doubles as a reminder.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
SHOWER VS. BATH
  • The current health environment dictates that you clean and disinfect your belongings, your vehicle, your living place. But what about yourself?
  • Obviously, you have to clean yourself. But what's effective?
  • IME: showers are more hygienic than baths, especially now.
  • Why? Because shower water runs directly into the drain and takes dirty water with it. A bath retains the dirt and puts it back on your skin.

WASHING SKIN ONLY VS. WASHING HAIR AS WELL EVERY DAY

• When you're outside, exposed skin picks up grime and dirt and bacteria, germs, and droplets of whatever virus manages to attach itself to your skin.
  • Skin is impervious to water. If it wasn't, we would bloat every time it rained and the rain hit our skin. However, this doesn't mean skin allows moisture to slough off like teflon. Ergo, washing is very important right now. Especially BEFORE you go to bed!
  • Wait! Don't go to bed yet! Have you washed your hair?
  • Yep. Everything sticks to hair, including virus droplets.
  • Prevent spreading germs / bacteria / viruses / diseases via the pillow by washing your hair before you go to bed the day you've been outside.
  • What do I do? After I've been outside (e.g., to the office), I get home, clean and disinfect everything (including the front door), then I take a shower and wash my hair.

HOW TO WASH YOUR HAIR

• Normal technique is fine. With one change: BEFORE the first shampoo, make sure the water runs AWAY from your face. You want the dirt / grime / dust / bacteria / germs / etc., away from any mucus-based entrances to your body (e.g., nose, eyes, mouth).
  • In the first shampoo, make sure you wash your hair thoroughly: root to tip, tip to root. Lather well.
  • Feel free to shampoo a second time if you like. Otherwise, go straight to the conditioner. Load in the conditioner. Leave for longer than normal -- you're replacing the moisture in your hair that the shampoo stripped.
  • Rinse out the conditioner and complete your shower as normal.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
It occurred to me, and my attention was also drawn to the fact that the use of face masks is not well-known in western societies because they're rarely used.

GENERAL INFORMATION

• So, which one should you get?
  • Ideally, #N95 is best or one that is made to ASTM-2100 standard.
  • Both types of masks can be worn for up to 8 hours.
  • N95 can be worn again IF it hasn't been soiled or damaged in some way.
  • The others must be thrown away after single use. Do NOT reuse them.
N95: REUSE POSSIBLE

• Do NOT use for children / infants / people with breathing difficulties. The N95 could POTENTIALLY cause suffocation!
  • This is top grade. If worn properly, it is quite stuffy and could make breathing difficult.
  • Can be reused if not soiled / damaged. If it's soiled / damaged, wrap it and dispose of it immediately, then wash your hands.
  • "N" stands for "not resistant to oil"; "95" is the percentage rate of filtration of particles in the air, meaning that the mask will filter 95% of air particles, including droplets, germs and bacteria.
  • Viruses may or may not get filtered since they are smaller than the gaps in the filter. However, they can be stopped because they get trapped in the fibres and are bonded to the material. Technicalities are beyond this post.
  • If you wear the N95 properly, it will become stuffy and breathing could become difficult. This comes down to the different air pressures outside the mask and inside it.
  • Wearing the N95 intermittently is a solution, but ultimately reduces its effectiveness.
  • Prices may be high.
  • Supply may be low.

ASTM-2100 STANDARD MASKS: ONE USE ONLY; NEVER REUSE

• These are usually surgical masks. Easier to breathe through. BUT, these are ONE-USE masks; NEVER reuse them.
  • After use, wrap it and dispose of it immediately, then wash your hands.
  • You can wear one continuously for up to 8 hours, but I do NOT recommend this. IME, it fills with bacteria from exposure to other people and from the CO2 you breathe out. How much of that bacteria do you want to inhale again? Also, the smell can be quite something if you have gut issues (bad breath actually comes mostly from the gut; you'll have to look that up).
  • IME, best to change them after any meal that you've eaten outside, or if the mask becomes moist (e.g., from sweat, and you will get sweat beading on your upper lip after wearing a mask for some time), soiled, or otherwise damaged.
  • Air particles are filtered and trapped within the fibres of the mask, much the same as the N95.
  • Prices vary.
  • Supply varies.

PUTTING ON A SURGICAL MASK

• IMPORTANT: Inspect the mask BEFORE putting it on.
  • Make sure it is NOT damaged, discoloured, soiled, or in any other way mistreated. If any of these situations occur, or you're doubtful, do NOT use the mask; throw it away and get a new one.
  • The COLOURED side faces OUTSIDE. The WHITE side faces your FACE.
  • If there is no coloured side, feel the EDGE of the mask: One side is "rough"; one side is "smooth". ROUGH faces outside; SMOOTH faces your FACE.

• Put the loops around your ears. If it's a tie, then tie the mask around the lower half of your face. The mask should fit snugly on your face.
  • Grip the top and lower EDGES of the mask and pull so the mask opens up. Make sure it covers your nose AND goes UNDER your chin.
  • Use 2 fingers to push on the concealed metal wire/strip to make the mask fit across the nose contour of your face.
  • Do NOT touch the outside of your mask.
  • Breathe normally.
NOTES ON WEARING A MASK FOR THE FIRST TIME

If this is the first time you've put on a mask, you may feel it's stuffy and difficult to breathe.

1. Relax! Take your time. Breathe normally.
  2. Though difficult, ignore it.
  3. Do NOT touch the outside of your mask.
  4. Breathe normally!

REMOVING & DISPOSING OF YOUR MASK

1. NEVER touch the outside / inside of the mask when removing / disposing of it.
  2. Use the LOOPS / tie to remove your mask!
  3. Carefully destroy the mask, e.g., put a hole through the middle of the mask using a craft knife (NOT kitchen utensils!). You want to do this to prevent unscrupulous, evil people from picking up discarded masks, ironing them, then reselling them to others. (Yes, this is a problem.)
  4. Wrap the mask in (biodegradable) plastic and dispose of it immediately into a COVERED trash can.
  5. Wash your hands. At the very least, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

More information: https://forkast.news/coronavirus-how-to-use-face-mask-infe…/

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Because information is shared on helping to deal with or prevent it, I thought I would share information from the Center For Disease Control.

I am not sure these links are viewable outside America, but for those interested, the Center For Disease Control recommends:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/guidance-prevent-spread.html

and

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html

I don't want to plagiarize the pages, so I won't paste the information regarding prevention. If you cannot view it from your country, maybe you can paste the links in a free, online proxy site.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much Snitchcat for so much useful information. I'm not paying enough attention to my hair and clothes and I think I will start now.

A couple comments about use and reuse of the masks. Once they get damp from your breath, they become more of a wick than a deterrent. So always change damp masks.

Be aware the outside of the mask may be seriously contaminated. Don't touch the outside after you use it and if you are going to reuse it, make sure the inside hasn't gotten contaminated from the outside. For example if you put the mask somewhere like in a baggie, the inside of the baggie gets contaminated then that can contaminate the inside of the mask.

And don't forget to protect your eyes from the droplets people emit when coughing and talking.

Heat destroys the virus, freezing prolongs its life on surfaces.
NIH: Effects of Air Temperature and Relative Humidity on Coronavirus Survival on Surfaces

This is a bad time for my dryer to be broken. :(

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Thanks, Snitchcat! This is very informative.

There is a lot of advice in mainstream media now to NOT purchase or wear masks, and how wearing them might even increase infection risk because they are hard to remove correctly and they increase face touching, not reduce it. It may be moot, because they are getting almost impossible to find for love or money. I see so many people wearing them incorrectly in pictures and at health facilities--especially children. They do no good, either to protect the wearer or other people, if the nose is exposed and only the mouth is covered, people! If you're using masks, make sure they are intended for medical use and use them correctly!

One thing in the US, most public toilets can't be closed--no lid. I've often thought this was a problem from a public health standpoint, especially during noro outbreaks, as a fine mist of possibly virus-laden toilet water will spray out and settle on everything (especially given how vigorously most public toilets flush).

The good thing about this virus, at least, is it has that lipid capsule that breaks down quickly with soap, alcohol, bleach etc., and it isn't thought to last long on surfaces. Still, cleaning surfaces and creating a clean area inside the entry to a home sounds like a great precaution.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are no lids on almost all the toilets in hospitals and nursing homes here in the US. Really unfortunate because noro-virus can become airborne when you flush a toilet.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
One thing in the US, most public toilets can't be closed--no lid. I've often thought this was a problem from a public health standpoint, especially during noro outbreaks, as a fine mist of possibly virus-laden toilet water will spray out and settle on everything (especially given how vigorously most public toilets flush).

There are no lids on almost all the toilets in hospitals and nursing homes here in the US. Really unfortunate because noro-virus can become airborne when you flush a toilet.

I was thinking about this lack of lids.

Do you have paper towels available? If so, perhaps it might be helpful to take two or three sheets into the cubicle with you. Lay them across the bowl on the toilet seat before flushing. The paper towels won't stop everything, but may help prevent germs / bacteria from reaching you.

On the other hand, if you happen to have a plastic bag on you, put that across the bowl before flushing.

You could also prepare toilet-sized (biodegradable) plastic sheets before you go out. Keep those in your bag / pocket and cover the toilet before flushing.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Staying indoors for several days at a time is hard at the best of times. It becomes even more challenging when quarantine and/or isolation are involved because of COVID-19. After a certain point, cabin fever sets in.

So what can you do to combat such a situation? I've listed some of my personal experience and solutions below.

PREPARATION

• Create a list of your hobbies / interests / what you enjoy doing.
  • Create an inventory of the materials and/or equipment needed for various projects, e.g., yarn, crochet hooks, computer, baking ingredients, etc. You don't have to make a huge list or even a list for everything. Pick and choose as your fancy takes you.
  • Figure out if you need to purchase extra items for your hobbies.

NOTES ABOUT PREPARATION
There's nothing to say you need a physical representation of the above. I did all the above subconsciously since that's how it works for me.

ACTUAL IMPLEMENTATON
At the beginning, I found it helpful and ultimately beneficial to leave my days at home unstructured. I only had a subconscious list of what I wanted to do each day on the day.

Depending on how long the quarantine lasts, you may need to set up a schedule for yourself starting week 3.

I found it better to get enough sleep and start my day after naturally waking up, whatever time that happened to be.

After a week or two of relaxation and keeping up with my workload (was working from home), I set up a schedule for myself. Again, I did this subconsciously. You might benefit from a physical representation of your schedule, but I would suggest leaving it flexible.

MY TYPICAL MON - FRI:

• Morning: Wake up before the work day starts; perform my usual morning routine (including cooking breakfast); clear my workload.
  • Afternoon: Usual lunch routine with a slight change -- cooking lunch at a time more suited to me. Continued clearing my workload -- if any. If none, I did some housework (easier to maintain cleanliness than to do the cleaning from scratch).
  • Evening: Dinner -- cooking again. Then whatever I liked for relaxation.

MY TYPICAL SAT & SUN:

• Wake up naturally; perform my usual waking up routine (including breakfast).
  • Relax, and take things slowly.
  • Do some housework and/or laundry.
  • Work on my hobbies and/or writing.
  • Cook lunch / dinner as the fancy takes me.
  • Relax, take things slowly, and continue with my hobbies and/or writing.

ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES:
Sounds normal, right? Throughout the day, I added being in the sunlight for at least an hour total as well as exercise (total of one hour). I wasn't necessarily outside, though. I also used the phone for calls that I usually would use text chat for -- this kept up my social interaction.

Amongst all that, I occasionally turned on the TV to keep up with the latest news. And I certainly played with my kitties.

KEY TAKE AWAYS:
Personally, I found it productive and calming to keep up my core routines, and vary what I did throughout the day, especially with regards to hobbies and writing.

IMO and IME, variety of activities and social interaction are crucial to beating cabin fever. And if you ever feel yourself getting down (whether or not you have depression / anxiety / other invisible illness(es)), I've found it infinitely helpful to stand in direct sunlight and call friends / family / relatives for a chat.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
When it comes to food, cans and instant foods are great for convenience and long-term storage; anything that cooks fast is convenient, too. Thing is, too much of any single food type is detrimental to your health.

However, I've found that during quarantine eating healthily is a great way to combat cabin fever, depression, anxiety, stress, other invisible illnesses (to an extent for certain disorders). Why? The healthy foods, in conjunction with exercise, sunlight, and varied activities, help you maintain balance. Not only for your body, but also for your mind and emotions. Humans don't function well if one of those three (emotions, mind, body) is out of sync.

The foods I've found great for me are:
  • Fresh vegetables
  • Fresh fruit
  • Protein (eggs / meat / beans)
  • Occasional (healthy) snacks

And throughout the day: water. Lots of it. I prefer hot water, but you don't have to have hot water.

An occasional treat, like hot chocolate, tea or coffee, is good.

Alcohol? I seldom have any, but as a rare reward for being good with my food intake, it works nicely.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, the cost is short-term, but the impact is long-term: the economy has taken a massive hit on top of the protests from June 2019 - Jan 2020.

However, there are positives in this.

I'll write a longer post later -- it's better said with more links. :)

Yeah, it sure has. You guys have had a really tough year. I hope things get better soon!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Nor in schools and college dorms--other places where viruses get swapped around.

I'm guessing this is a choice they make because no lid makes the toilet easier to clean, plus you're less likely to have the "fun" that happens when an occasional very drunk, out of it, or deviant person uses the toilet with the lid down. I've seen the result of that in a bar where the toilet did have a lid once. Gross.

Still, overall, being able to shut the lid when flushing would be a really good thing, especially in medical institutional settings where there's a higher-than-normal likelihood of people passing certain viruses along. I don't think toilets are really an issue with most respiratory viruses (aside from the issue with people sneezing and coughing etc. in bathroom stalls--though hand washing after helps), though the paper I posted in the other thread did mention once case, at least, where this coronavirus might have been shed in feces. A small number of people do experience diarrhea with this thing, though most people don't.

The plastic idea snitchcat mentioned is a possibility, though I'm not sure what to do with the bag when finished with it, as it probably woudln't flush safely.

One thing I'm doing more of now is wiping my purse off with disinfectant when I get home. Women's purses, as well as backpacks and other things like that, do come into contact with lots of potentially contaminated surfaces in the course of a normal day.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
You'd have to dispose of the plastic, hence the need for biodegradable.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it sure has. You guys have had a really tough year. I hope things get better soon!

I hope so, too. Might be a while, though. I saw protesters and riot police starting up violent clashes again on the news. I blame the government mostly, but also the police and the extremists. Sigh.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Experts say masks don't do anything to prevent you catching the virus. (ETA) However, wearing a mask while in public is advisable: if you have a cold / flu, the mask prevents you from infecting someone else, especially those with compromised immune systems; the reverse is also true. When in public, wearing a mask also impacts your emotional and mental health. Physically, perhaps. But how about the impact to your emotional and mental health?

For those of us dealing with (ETA) clinical invisible illnesses (ETA) (e.g., depression, anxiety), using a mask (ETA) when amongst other people (public) is calming. It helps us manage our disorders while also managing the stress the virus brings. (ETA) Obviously, the mask does not treat these disorders, but its help is, IME, valuable. On the other hand, if you're not clinically diagnosed, it's probably better that you do not hoard masks, but instead, help make sure that healthcare workers and other frontline emergency workers have enough masks and PPE (personal protective equipment) to help them combat this virus.

But how else can we combat cabin fever if quarantine / isolation is needed?

Aside from the usual daily necessities and other physical items, I highly recommend keeping your mind engaged.

GAMES
For example, games -- a variety -- will help you relax and stay mentally active. E.g., Minecraft, WoW, No Man's Sky, Monopoly, Hotel, Sudoku, Crosswords, Wordsearch, kitty entertainment (seriously, this works really well!), puppy entertainment, pet entertainment, maths games, brain teasers, and so on.

CRAFTS
Arts and crafts -- painting, sketching, writing, building something (out of paper, cardboard, lego, etc.), fabric crafts (e.g., sewing, tailoring, practice, etc.), yarn crafts (e.g., knitting, crochet, weaving, and so on), paper crafts (e.g., origami), calligraphy. Keep going with your own ideas.

LEARNING
Learning something new -- that language you've always wanted to learn? This is a good time to start! How about satisfying your curiosity about that science subject? Or maybe you want to make a Neopolitan? And then there's that cake decorating idea you wanted to try. What about learning the latest programming language? Didn't have time previously, but you have time now.

There are any number of things you can do to stave off and resolve cabin fever. And the good news is that most of these activities can be done as a group or solo and they're available online. They also have a social aspect, too.

VOLATILE SITUATIONS
If something looks like it's about to blow up, walk away. I can't emphasise this enough. Just say that you're going to make a cup of tea / coffee, or you're going to take a shower, anything to remove yourself from the situation. It doesn't matter if it isn't your fault. You're leaving the volatile moment for your mental and emotional health.

KEY TAKE AWAY
What I've found most useful to remember and practice, however, is: be kind, be patient, communicate.

ETA:
And turn off the news!

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Experts say masks don't do anything to prevent you catching the virus. Physically, perhaps. But how about the impact to your emotional and mental health?

I'm not convinced this is reasonable. My emotional and mental health (and I think you're talking more about comfort, than health here) should not trump a fragile person's right to protection - even less a health worker's right to safety.

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not convinced this is reasonable. My emotional and mental health (and I think you're talking more about comfort, than health here) should not trump a fragile person's right to protection - even less a health worker's right to safety.

I agree with you. Not saying that any individual's health should supersede another's. Instead, for those of us who have invisible illnesses (regardless if we have physical ones, too), wearing a mask does help us cope and helps us stay calm while amongst other people.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with you. Not saying that any individual's health should supersede another's. Instead, for those of us who have invisible illnesses (regardless if we have physical ones, too), wearing a mask does help us cope and helps us stay calm while amongst other people.
But of course, people buying masks (that won't help them) does mean they are putting their comfort ahead of the welfare of fragile people and health workers who will actually need masks that won't be available. So perhaps it's better to find other ways to deal with the insecurity people are feeling at the moment, is what I'm saying.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
But of course, people buying masks (that won't help them) does mean they are putting their comfort ahead of the welfare of fragile people and health workers who will actually need masks that won't be available. So perhaps it's better to find other ways to deal with the insecurity people are feeling at the moment, is what I'm saying.

Understood.

The only thing I can think of right now is that people should stay home if they're ill and get deliveries if they feel insecure being outside. The other method is to maintain at least a 0.5m distance to everyone else. (I think I said this in an earlier post.)

OTOH, I'm thinking of clinical depression and anxiety -- these disorders can be debilitating, but when they're not and you don't have anyone to help you, you need to go out to get various necessities, etc., so the mask would help there.

I don't think I'm explaining myself properly. Did that make sense?

Also, am I not actually understanding you when I think I am? Hmm.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Experts say masks don't do anything to prevent you catching the virus. Physically, perhaps. But how about the impact to your emotional and mental health?

For those of us dealing with invisible illnesses, using a mask is calming. It helps us manage our disorders while also managing the stress the virus brings.

This may be a cultural difference too. I think masks actually engender a certain amount of anxiety here in the US, both to the wearer and when one sees others wearing masks. People resist wearing them because they are so uncomfortable, even at medical clinics when instructed to do so by staff. They frequently "cheat" by leaving their noses exposed or keeping the mask too loose. If I see someone out in public--outside of a medical or industrial setting-- in a mask, I assume they either are already sick and think it's okay to be out with a mask, or they are kind of selfish for having purchased a mask when they are so hard to come by and even in short supply for people in medical settings. But here the authorities have been telling us NOT to stock up on masks or to wear them unless we are already ill and have to go to the doctor for testing/treatment.

Interestingly, for all the stories of people buying up masks, I haven't seen more than a couple of people wearing them out in public here. Maybe that will change if we start to get cases here in Sacramento in the community not associated with medical settings. Anyone from up in Washington State in this thread? Are people wearing masks in public more there now that there have been a number of cases?

One practice I've noticed in some public places, though, are people pulling their shirts or scarfs up over their mouths but leaving their noses free. Not sure what that is supposed to do, since clothing fabric is far too porous to block viruses, and in fact people's clothes could ostensibly be contaminated with viral particles. Plus breathing through one's uncovered nose negates the benefit of a mask over the mouth anyway. But people aren't always logical.

One thing I've been doing is changing clothes and promptly putting them in the hamper in the garage (then washing my hands yet again) when I get home. I am also trying to segregate my "out and about" shoes in the front hall and have a different pair of tennis shoes to wear in the back yard to play with the dogs and in the house when my feet need the arch support (I'm plantar fascitis prone, so going barefoot too much can be painful, even inside). It means I have to do laundry a lot more than normal, though, as I'll typically wear jeans or slacks and 2-3 times before washing them and layered outer shirts and sweat shirts even more times.

It's occurred to me it might be wise to start taking a shower upon arriving home instead of in the morning before work, but that really messes with my routine. Still, it's probably wise. I've been taking the stairs at work too, wiping down the computer buttons and keyboard of shared computers and desks I use (and student lab tables). Also washing my hands upon arriving and right before leaving, then again once I get home.

It's kind of a window into what it must feel like for people with OCD, though, because I get home, wash my hands. Strip off outer clothes--oh no, I have to wash hands again, before I touch my clean clothes. Then put on clean clothes and wash hands again. Then the hand lotion. But wait, I still need to put the groceries away, and those bags have been in the shopping cart, and the food packaging may have been sneezed upon at some point, so how many times should I wash my hands when putting groceries away and/or handling food containers and preparing a meal? And I'm leaning my chin on my hand as I sit here at my computer desk, but is that okay, because I washed my hands. But what if I touched something that's still contaminated?

GAH!

Last edited: