COVID-19: Living in its Bullseye -- A 1st Hand Account

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Did they do that? Down here they said - we need masks for the medical staff, and there aren't enough to go around. But don't worry, because unless you're not well, they're not going to be all that useful. If you're not well, try to stay home. Also everyone stop panic-buying.

A thing that I keep thinking is that if the powers that be are sending dishonest messages out, it's because we as a society have taught them we can't cope with the facts. So that might be something to think about when this is over. My big hope is that things will never go back to the way they were. We could start looking at how we want them to be.

Well, here the POTUS is already talking about "opening up the country" again in a week, when he has yet to officially shut it down, and some states still have open bars and dine-in restaurants and open schools.

And Andrew Cuomo seems to mostly agree with him that the economy is more important than lives and that young people who "don't get the virus" should go back to work soon, and feels schools should be opened again, because if kids are home with their elders, they'll just make their elders sick. Does that even make sense, unless he's proposing boarding all the kids at school so they don't come home to their elders after swapping virus all day? And does he propose only teachers under, say, 50 being allowed to work on site, so they crowd more kids into each classroom? Never thought a Democrat would be such a Trump suck up. His interview on CNN was frankly ... disappointing.

Last edited:

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Well, the UK pretty much shut down last night. My world is now my house and garden, the local grocery store, and the ten minute walk between them. Will have to drive into town in a couple of weeks to pick up my wife's meds from the pharmacy, but that's about it for the foreseeable future. I'm most worried about a friend who's marriage is collapsing, who is now shut in her house with her psychologically abusive husband :(

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Another first-hand account from someone who contracted Covid-19; it's consistent with the account I posted earlier: https://www.facebook.com/terri.chaseley/posts/10222729577209896 (It's a public post, no need to login / create an account.)

By all accounts it sounds like a really unpleasant bug, and even young, relatively healthy people shouldn't assume they will get one of those mild cases that feels like a cold or even a regular flu. Lots of people report that a "moderate" case feels like the worst influenza you ever had on steroids, and pneumonia is a common complication. Even if you don't end up on a ventilator, it's just a miserable, slow recovery. And it's going to be really ugly in the US for folks who get it and do need ventilators to recover soon, as it already has been in Italy and Spain. Death rates will shoot up, because there are going to be people who could have survived, but they won't be able to get the care they need. Italy's mortality rate is currently around 10% of all reported cases! This is insane--many times worse than even the Great Influenza of 1918-1919. It's also rather scary and heartbreaking.

I think one thing driving the hospital crunch is the amount of time it takes to recover from this thing. It takes a week or two for the symptoms to peak, and it's a slow recovery after. People who develop severe respiratory symptoms often require 10-14 days of critical support to get through the worst part of the disease. As I understand it, this is longer than with typical cases of pneumonia or bad influenza, though I am finding trouble finding comparative data on the average length of stay for patients admitted for influenza-related complications . If it is shorter for influenza, it may explain why even a few thousand extra cases within a state or moderate-sized country puts such a strain on hospitals.

It doesn't help us in the US that our hospitals operate very close to capacity in terms of bed space and personnel.

v
Well, the UK pretty much shut down last night. My world is now my house and garden, the local grocery store, and the ten minute walk between them. Will have to drive into town in a couple of weeks to pick up my wife's meds from the pharmacy, but that's about it for the foreseeable future. I'm most worried about a friend who's marriage is collapsing, who is now shut in her house with her psychologically abusive husband :(

This is another serious issue people haven't been talking about much: how are these shelter-in-place orders going to affect people in abusive relationships?

Last edited:

SheriGoddart85

Registered
Reaction score
Website
menopausecoach.com
Hello. Feel so sorry that it had happen. It spreads widely around the world. We all have to live with it, to cope with it. In half a year it would be better. Stay home, wash your hands and read books

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, here the POTUS is already talking about "opening up the country" again in a week, when he has yet to officially shut it down, and some states still have open bars and dine-in restaurants and open schools.

And Andrew Cuomo seems to mostly agree with him that the economy is more important than lives and that young people who "don't get the virus" should go back to work soon, and feels schools should be opened again, because if kids are home with their elders, they'll just make their elders sick. Does that even make sense, unless he's proposing boarding all the kids at school so they don't come home to their elders after swapping virus all day? And does he propose only teachers under, say, 50 being allowed to work on site, so they crowd more kids into each classroom? Never thought a Democrat would be such a Trump suck up. His interview on CNN was frankly ... disappointing.
He said that recently????

He's been saying to close the schools since March 15.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I heard Cuomo today on a panel and he said when they had decent testing, especially antibody tests showing past infection, people with resolved illness could go back to work.

He also speculated why NY had such a high rate of infection over any other state. He thinks with all the international travel and NY being a key location for those travelers, that NY had the virus circulating undetected very early on.

So much for incompetrump's bold action blocking Chinese coming from China then sitting on his laurels as if that actually did something. While incompetrump fiddled, the pandemic fire raged in the US.

Day before yesterday incompetrump said his actions saved thousands. I knew that wouldn't last and sure enough today he retweeted Lou Dobbs saying incompetrump saved tens of thousands of lives.