Current events and querying

Tarley

i was normal 6 dogs ago
Registered
Reaction score
Assuming the query and the writing itself is good quality, how much do current events making headlines negatively affect what an agent might consider representing if a novel has similar themes? I'm not talking about something "ripped from the headlines" but, just as an example, I have a writer friend who was about to start querying a novel set in the 1960's Iran just as tensions with that country went up. He decided not to query just yet fearing agents would be put off. What about thrillers involving disease epidemics or historically accurate novels that contain issues sensitive to the #MeToo movement?

On one hand, I know this is a glacially slow-moving business, so what makes headlines today might be literally "old news" by the time a manuscript just signed by an agent hits a book store shelf. But on the other, is this a valid concern?

Just curious to hear any thoughts.

Last edited:

fenyo

Registered
Reaction score
I think that if something is in the news it can help, after all, agents are looking for things that can sell. there are a lot of writers that write about current event.
but even if what you write is not something that makes the headline right now it can still be pick up by an agent. make sure that querying is good and that the manuscript is as best as you can do it.

fundamentally, I think people should write about what ever they want first and think about what will sell second.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's so much as current headlines that matter but the atmosphere of the subject, etc. What can hinder you is if you have something that an agent feels will be so upsetting or offensive or too toxic for the current environment. Something where they feel like it would be too much of a risk to represent because they know a publisher wouldn't want it. Something too polarizing for example.

But honestly, it depends on the agent. Some are gonna be wimps and not want anything that challenges anything and others might fight for any book if they fall in love with it. You never know what happens until you submit it. The worst they can say is no.

For historical books, it can go either way but most readers understand that things were different in other generations. You're always gonna have folks who make a fuss over something but anyone with commonsense shouldn't judge a historical book based on things going on in 2020.

But you are smart to wonder because in today's world with social media, authors are getting crucified for every little thing so you never know if a reaction will be minor or not.

You can't let that stop you though.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious to hear any thoughts.

During the kavanaugh hearings, there were a burst of tweets from agents MSWLing 'strong women standing up to power/metoo.'

No idea how that translated to signings.