No word from editor in 3+ months

imelda72

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I sold my book last year! Yay! However, I'm posting to ask folks' opinions on something.

My agent and I haven't heard from my editor in 3 months. She's technically 4-5 months overdue on the first edit letter, based on her original timeline. She's stopped responding to my agent's emails altogether. Note that this is a Big 5 publisher.

My agent says this is all typical for publishing. Is that true in your experience?

I guess, at heart, this feels like a sign that my editor isn't at all passionate about my book. Is that fair?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'm in the US (don't know if you are, but I'll assume).

Is it unusual? Can't say, but I've certainly heard of such things before.

Does it mean anything concerning? Hard to say.

IME deadlines tend to be Super Important when they're the author's and much squishier when they're the publisher's, but I know that's at least partly a perspective thing.

The publisher will have releases planned something like 12-24 months out, and their internal deadlines are going to have more to do with marketing and production schedules on ALL their books than any need to get you feedback on your single project. You should, though, be able to ask about that schedule, and (if you're worried) if the book is still on target for its original publication date.

I had some communication gaps when working on my third book, but tbh nobody cared about that book so I wasn't really surprised. But even then, I had my editor's email, and IIRC they were responsive on other issues. And the book did go to production on time.

How concerned you ought to be depends on a lot of things. How long has the editor been non-responsive to your agent? (We did just finish the holiday season, people go on vacations/get sick, editorial departments are chronically understaffed and books with earlier release dates take precedence, etc.) Do you know the book's release date/production schedule? Is the publisher/imprint releasing other books, maintaining their normal social media presence, etc.? Does your agent have a pre-existing relationship with this editor? Has your agent worked with this editor on other books?

I think your feelings are entirely fair. That doesn't mean they're accurate, of course. :) But IMHO - assuming the lack of communication has gone on for, say, more than a few weeks - your agent should be able to get you more information.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
If your agent isn't alarmed then don't worry yourself over it. Yes, this can be normal depending on how many projects the editor is working on. If this is a big pub, she could be working on MANY. If you aren't comfortable with the timeline then ask your agent to reach out to the editor again. Any agent should be able to call up an editor on the phone so if agent hasn't done this you can suggest she do so. I don't think there is anything to worry about. This stuff happens all the time in publishing. Trust your agent. Let her worry about the editors, etc, and you go and write. :)

That's the beauty of having an agent, let them handle the worrying and nail-biting so you don't have to.

Now, if your agent starts worrying then you guys can take the next step but if she feels this is normal just let it play out.

People in publishing tell you they'll get back to you at a certain time and almost never do. LOL! Time moves fast but people in publishing move sloooow.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing is ever on time behind the scenes in publishing. Your edits do seem pretty overdue, but then I'm on book three with my publisher and I'm gradually getting used to the fact there're times I don't hear from anyone for ages.

Editors organise their schedules based on what needs to be done first, so I wouldn't take it personally. The edits on my first book were late arriving and I got worried—and then another time an editor read my manuscript and sent comments back the same day I sent it to her!

As long as your agent is standing up for you, I would hold off on panicking for the moment.

People in publishing tell you they'll get back to you at a certain time and almost never do. LOL! Time moves fast but people in publishing move sloooow.

The first lesson you learn in this business!

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
She's stopped responding to my agent's emails altogether. Note that this is a Big 5 publisher.

I do think, though, that she should be responding to emails. I don't feel all that comfortable emailing people at my publisher (I'm scared of publishing bigwigs!:D), but people are always fast to respond, even if I haven't heard from them for ages.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I've only worked with two publishers but yes, I'd be worried. One was a small press and one is Big 5 but no editor ever took more than a couple of days to respond to me or my agent. I really don't think it's normal to be ignored for three months after signing a contract... before, sure, but after?

I don't think there's much you can do about it, though, especially if your agent thinks it's all fine. The best answer is usually to get busy writing the next book, which is easier said than done!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I've only worked with two publishers but yes, I'd be worried. One was a small press and one is Big 5 but no editor ever took more than a couple of days to respond to me or my agent. I really don't think it's normal to be ignored for three months after signing a contract... before, sure, but after?

I don't think there's much you can do about it, though, especially if your agent thinks it's all fine. The best answer is usually to get busy writing the next book, which is easier said than done!

If my agent really thought it was all fine, I'd expect an explanation of why this kind of thing is normal. IMHO an agent's job is, in part, to coach a writer (especially a new one) on industry norms, and that means giving them more than "it'll all be fine" with no explanation.

I mean, I'm biased, but I'd be leaning more on the agent in this situation than the editor.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
4-5 months overdue and MIA for 3 months for a Big 5 editor is not normal for most of them - read, most, because I have heard some stories of particular editors that that would make me never want to work with them...and others that are horrendously behind due to another editor leaving and the like.

I guess your options are to wait a bit longer, or ask your agent to contact other editors/staff at the publisher to ask what's going on as you are getting no reply (which may ruffle some feathers with that editor).

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, “original timelines” (deadlines in the contract, for instance) are more suggestions than binding realities, and long waits most definitely happen. Eight months for an edit letter, six months for response to a revision. The part that gives me pause is the editor’s non-response to your agent. I’ve heard of editors who promised “notes by Friday” several weeks in a row before the notes appeared, but going totally MIA seems less usual. Does the editor have an assistant your agent could ask? Someone who’s more available?

Do not internalize this or blame your book. Really. Editors are incredibly busy and, I suspect, have to compartmentalize. A long wait could mean many things, from “my editor is overloaded” to “my editor quit” to “my publisher sold my book to another publisher” (it happens!), but none of that stuff is within your control. And chances are good that the editor is simply busy, and their passion for your book will return when they have time to devote to it.