No one burned down your she-shed, Shannon.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
While we have deer they are pretty gun-shy. They seldom come to town. Slugs will make it in a wet year but our slugs are only the size of a thumbnail. Have not seen any in years. Japanese Beetles likewise. They shrivel up fast. We have grubs--ugly, white things that live on flower roots. They particularly love delphiniums, my fav. flower. We have grass hoppers big enough to saddle and they come in flying herds. They chew everything down to the ground by mid August. They even skeletonize the sunflowers, which are more pest than ornamental. I could spray for the hoppers but spraying gets the butterflies so I don't. I do keep bird baths but no feeders in the summer. The birds graze on the hoppers and the cats graze on the birds. I guess that is how God intended it but it gets bloody around here.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I went from finding slugs fascinating, after growing up in the Sonoran Desert where there are no slugs, to finding them icky and damaging.

The fix for slugs eating hostas is easy and cheap. Do one or both of the following, ideally in spring where it's easy to get at the newly emerging plant's base.
  • Buy a bag of sand and mound it around the base of the plant. Slugs cannot cross sand. Over the course of a summer, it may wash away, but you probably won't have to renew it more than once or twice a season unless your garden patch routinely floods.
  • Six to eight inches from the base of the plant, make a ring of table salt surrounding it. Slugs can't cross it and it kills them if they try. Refresh after every rain, which is a bother.
The years I've done one or both of these, my hostas had zero slug damage.

Remind me sometime to tell you about time spent on the patio one summer evening, margaritas with the salted rims...

Maryn, who still shudders

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Beer in dishes; cheap hideously awful beer. The slugs die happy.

You don't want to see the slugs around Santa Cruz CA and in the PNW.

Where they make hand-blown Christmas tree ornament slugs.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The first time I saw a slug I was visiting my sister in law in Northport NY. I was on the patio having an early cup of tea. Everyone else was asleep. I spotted these horrible dill pickle sized green THINGS sliding up and down the house shingles. I threw my tea at them and ran into the house ready to alert the family about the creatures from outer space. Thank God I decided to ask my husband about them first. --s6

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your gut reaction was the right one, Shakes!

I've heard that AW Admin's method works, but two problems arise. One, you've got a dish full of beer and dead slugs. Two, there's never any beer left at this house. If it's open, it's gone.

I wonder if any other creatures get interested in the beer. I know some mammals and birds deliberately get drunk. We ended up pulling out the pyracantha bushes out front in Arizona because when the berries fermented, the bird activity got ridiculous. I remember thinking one was hurt because it was lying on its back, "flying" on the front walk. That's when it was pointed out to me what the birds were all doing, fighting over the berries and getting birdshit-faced.

Maryn, not wanting to count how many years ago that was

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
The fix for slugs eating hostas is easy and cheap. Do one or both of the following, ideally in spring where it's easy to get at the newly emerging plant's base.
  • Buy a bag of sand and mound it around the base of the plant. Slugs cannot cross sand. Over the course of a summer, it may wash away, but you probably won't have to renew it more than once or twice a season unless your garden patch routinely floods.
  • Six to eight inches from the base of the plant, make a ring of table salt surrounding it. Slugs can't cross it and it kills them if they try. Refresh after every rain, which is a bother.
The trouble with established gardens is that once the hosta leaves are fully grown, they extend up and over other plants, and the slugs do their the floor-is-lava-(or-salt)-trick and never need to put a pseudopod on the ground. :roll: Also, salt is not something to use freely in every garden, it can negatively affect plants.

I wonder if any other creatures get interested in the beer. I know some mammals and birds deliberately get drunk. We ended up pulling out the pyracantha bushes out front in Arizona because when the berries fermented, the bird activity got ridiculous. I remember thinking one was hurt because it was lying on its back, "flying" on the front walk. That's when it was pointed out to me what the birds were all doing, fighting over the berries and getting birdshit-faced.
That reminds me, there is a hilarious documentary featuring hung-over baboons and elephants that overindulged in ripe baobabfruits.

I have yet have to see a drunk bird in our garden, but it appears only fruit attracts them, not the alcohol persé. But I suppose it might help to put a cover over the beer, if you live in a place with a lot of rain, that might be preferable anyway.

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I can only grow hostas as foundation plantings around my house--the deer leave those alone, but anywhere else, the hostas are toast. I've switched from hostas to daylilies, which they mostly don't bother with. Also, they don't seem to bother bleeding-hearts.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've read that about bleeding hearts. I have a new place and I have no idea what plants might come up in the coming months, but I'd consider adding bleeding hearts if there's a good spot.

Maryn, starting a list of deer-resistant plants

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can only grow hostas as foundation plantings around my house--the deer leave those alone, but anywhere else, the hostas are toast. I've switched from hostas to daylilies, which they mostly don't bother with. Also, they don't seem to bother bleeding-hearts.

Lord, my day lilies are like deer candy - last year the beasts came along and nipped the buds and blooms off every single plant. This spring they started browsing on them when they were barely above ground. My husband and I hustled and got the perennial bed fenced off a few days ago, because in addition to eating the day lilies last year the deer munched all my hosta and stonecrop right down to the ground. The stonecrop is poking up now and looking a bit bedraggled; it may be a bit too soon for the hosta to re-emerge, but I'm anxious to see if any of them survived.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My old aunts told stories about soaking bread in beer and then feeding it to the chickens to get them drunk. Great fun on a rural Sunday during the Depression! Speaking of beer I saw on the news this a.m. that one our Ks. Coronavirus cases last visited the Ad Astra brewery-- after Dos XX, my favorite beer. Storm Chaser is good too. Hope the report does not turn folks against the beer. People are getting a little crazy out here in the sticks.The weather has been cold and blustery but last night I managed to plant the 35 strawberry plants that have been taking up my meat drawer in the fridge. This morning 40 more strawberry plants arrived. I was beginning to think that ordering those 40 plants was just a lurid dream, but no. I started to panic because I wanted to get over to the shed today and tend to the old roses and iris there. And then I remembered I don't have anything else to do! My part time job has been cancelled for now. I was interviewing farmers for NAAS, but most of the people I see are in their seventies and have underlying health problems so this is good. My daughter's school has closed so she is home to help me. We have food, cold pizza, soap, detergent, cat food, litter and 11 rolls of tp. We stocked up on books at 1/2 Priced Books and B&N on Sat. Our library is still open although the Courthouse closed yesterday.( All Courthouse business is by appt. only. ) We might run short on beer but that's probably for the best.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds pretty cozy, overall. Get those berries in the ground. You never know how many of us are going to show up demanding strawberry shortcake.

Maryn, who'll bring whipped cream

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Good News--I found a like- new Cuisinart Ice Cream maker at the Second Hand Store last summer. 10$ and it still was in the original packaging. Best vanilla ice cream ever and the driving purpose behind my strawberry obsession. I did get 25 of the 40 in today. The other 15 will be planted in my daughter's pyramid planter, on Saturday. My 15 year old grand daughter is upset because I am driving 55 miles to plant her strawberries when old people are in danger. I told her that all I wanted in life was for her to have fresh strawberries all summer, even if the effort put me in my grave. I purely love yanking her chain.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't suppose you'll be mailing any strawberry ice cream to your most ardent fans... Yeah, I thought not.

Later in the year, when you're actually making the ice cream, share the exact recipe? I have an ice cream maker I never even got out the last two years.

Maryn, thinking about food as usual

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Maryn, talk to LaVern about ice cream. She has several recipes and a machine. In fact, anyone who needs recipes --L.V. is the woman. I think she was recently laid off from the Schotz Brewery.

I did manage to plant every strawberry despite the rain and wind but whacked out my back in the process. It is so painful that I went to my chiropractor yesterday. His practice is in Dodge City--about 80 miles from here. Usually I use my appt. with him to meet with old friends and maybe go out for lunch but yesterday, no. There is a case of coronavirus in that county and all of my friends are in their late sixties to seventies, so all were quarantined.

Dr. G told me to ice my back but to keep moving-- no digging, no twisting, no ladders, no bending to weed, no lifting anything over 15 lbs. (I have 160 lbs of manure and compost just sassing me from the trunk of my Jeep.) I guess I should just walk around and inventory everything that needs to be done. ARRUGHHHH!!!! And the rosebushes and trees will be here next week!

Another challenge-- my PT job as a field enumerator has been closed for now. That means the March Hog Report is ended and the April Wheat School has been cancelled. Okay, I was not looking forward to the April Wheat School but the pay check was what I was depending on to start the she-shed project. Will have to back off the roof and window project for now. --s6

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, no! Shoot, I'd been living vicariously through your she shed, imagining the progress, not empty bank accounts and a bad back.

Well, you can still make plans even if now isn't the time to enact them.

Oh, on the stuff in the car? I damaged an elbow putting ten bags of topsoil in the car, years ago. I cut open the bags I could no longer lift and used a scoop to fill a bucket that I could lift, some every day, until I had it all unloaded without doing further damage to my own aging infrastructure. The car needed some cleaning, but that was overdue anyway.

Maryn, who realized yesterday we have no rakes in the new place

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, I've always liked the term, Man Cave - If it means getting the ole boy from under my feet, PLEASE, go for it!

I also think She Shed is cute - Perhaps it's the alliteration that I find clever and catchy (?) - Lurve that commercial, by the way. :tongue

Oh, and put some of them there Strawberries aside, and I'll make you a big, fat Strawberry Pie when I come visit.

*Waves and blows Kisses to Shakey* :Hug2:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes, I hope your back improves quickly, Shakey. Bummer on the missed paycheck.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks. Things have been angsty here. I injured my shoulder weeks ago--very painful and, Ford, the county where my chiropractor practices is second highest in coronavirus cases. 516 cases in a county of about 2,000 square miles and less than 34,000 people. So I am not going there. This county has just one doctor and he is overworked in the best of times. In the end I did what my grandmother used to do for her bursitis--don't use the dang arm! Seems to have worked. I can prune and plant small things now. No digging and no big projects.

I did get the neighbor boys to cut down the piss elms (my Dad's word for those elm saplings that spring up when the land is uncultivated. Not sure how scientific the term is.) They haven't done it yet but will. They are bored. Their Dad has them helping him with farm jobs and their teachers are expecting homework. They are both solid students so they work hard with no social life. No prom, no track, no baseball-- kids really do have it harder than people think.

Once the saplings are cut I will poison the stumps and hope that takes care of it. I can buy the stuff at the Lumberyard here. Have to be careful because there are iris and old roses growing in between the piss elms. I promised the lady I bought the lot from not to kill off the old roses because she took great care to nurture them when she lived there. I have fertilized and watered them and they are budded out. Love old fashioned roses.

I have a packet of Sunflower Forest seeds from Burpee to plant around the shed. Years ago I planted this for my grand daughter and loved the way it turned out -a shady forest of 100 tall sunflowers. No job right now so the new roof will have to wait but hope to have water soon. --s6

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember where I saw it, but most likely Pinterest, where someone had created a small maze of sunflowers, of multiple heights, so when a person went all the way in, they were not easily seen. Pretty cool!

I'm so sorry to hear about your shoulder, but my guess is that what you're doing--resting it--is as good as anything else. Most injuries, our bodies can recover without much help.

Maryn, happily imagining the old roses

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Love this thread - and I'm totally in to projects. They are what keep us motivated, energized and optimistic.

Shakey, I just love the idea of your shed. It's the kind of dream project I'd be thrilled to have. There's an old mill cottage that is up for sale here and I would buy in a heartbeat if I had the cash. *sigh* But I did buy two old chairs last year. They were in a truly deplorable condition and only R50 each - that's US$2.77 each. (Don't laugh, our currency is currently chronically devalued right now.... okay, okay, I'll stop.) There are no fabric shops in my town. This is a tragedy of epic proportions for someone who loves sewing and patchwork as much as I do. But, as luck would have it, I had to take my car to a bigger town for repairs and - yay - found a fabric shop (poor selection) and also an upholstery fabric shop (slightly better selection) so I went moggy and bought fabrics.

Then the fabric sat in the bag, right next to chairs, in my spare room, for months. (You know how this happens, right?) However, when they announced the lockdown for the corona virus, I had something of a mild panic. Not over the virus - over the fact that the hardware store would closed. Talk about bulk-buying. I bought a mouse sander (best buy ever!), oak-stain varnish, brushes, turpentine, staples, screws, a new bit for the drill, upholstery tacks and a ton of other stuff. So far, I have removed most of the old fabric (it kind of fell off), sanded down the wooden arms and legs, removed the huge springs in the seats and all the old coir that they were stuffed with. I've made new bottoms for seats out of board and given the wood parts a first coat of varnish. Sheesh. There's nothing like being stuck indoors with two hideous old chairs for getting the DIY juices flowing! :D

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I was just thinking the other day how I don't have the mental power right now to plan big projects but then I realised that apparently I can do projects without realising it's a project if it doesn't feel like it involves much thinking, and apparently that actually works?

In a spur of the moment I started cleaning up the neglected front garden a while ago and now that's all as good as finished I realised that in hindsight it really was a project. But one where the steps were so obvious that it didn't require much planning and material I didn't have available, that it felt like no (mental) trouble at all. So I'm kinda double-pleased with myself: for making the front garden look so much better, and for realising a project in these rather trying times.

Onward to the next project, whether I realise it is one or not! :ROFL:

Thanks. Things have been angsty here. I injured my shoulder weeks ago--very painful and, Ford, the county where my chiropractor practices is second highest in coronavirus cases. 516 cases in a county of about 2,000 square miles and less than 34,000 people. So I am not going there. This county has just one doctor and he is overworked in the best of times. In the end I did what my grandmother used to do for her bursitis--don't use the dang arm! Seems to have worked. I can prune and plant small things now. No digging and no big projects.
Aw, that sucks. Good thing that just keeping it still for a while worked. Just don't try to go too quickly now that it feels a little better. So easy to go overboard and having to go back to square one.

Once the saplings are cut I will poison the stumps and hope that takes care of it. I can buy the stuff at the Lumberyard here. Have to be careful because there are iris and old roses growing in between the piss elms. I promised the lady I bought the lot from not to kill off the old roses because she took great care to nurture them when she lived there. I have fertilized and watered them and they are budded out. Love old fashioned roses.
Not too keen on having to poison something in your garden. But I reckon digging all the roots out is quite impossible.

Yeay for irisses (I'm a fan) and old roses. Sounds like a lovely place indeed.

Then the fabric sat in the bag, right next to chairs, in my spare room, for months. (You know how this happens, right?) However, when they announced the lockdown for the corona virus, I had something of a mild panic. Not over the virus - over the fact that the hardware store would closed. Talk about bulk-buying. I bought a mouse sander (best buy ever!), oak-stain varnish, brushes, turpentine, staples, screws, a new bit for the drill, upholstery tacks and a ton of other stuff. So far, I have removed most of the old fabric (it kind of fell off), sanded down the wooden arms and legs, removed the huge springs in the seats and all the old coir that they were stuffed with. I've made new bottoms for seats out of board and given the wood parts a first coat of varnish. Sheesh. There's nothing like being stuck indoors with two hideous old chairs for getting the DIY juices flowing! :D
At least you had some time to bulk-buy in advance. The first two weeks of our lockdown all I could think of was projects I needed stuff for that I didn't have and therefore couldn't go out an buy it. :Hammer: I swear, that brain of me sometimes...

Sounds like a very satisfying project, though. I sometimes watch a show on the BBC called The Repair Shop and I am always in awe how they manage to restore objects to former glory. They did some chairs too, it must be so much harder than it looks to do!

What will you use for stuffing?

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At least you had some time to bulk-buy in advance. The first two weeks of our lockdown all I could think of was projects I needed stuff for that I didn't have and therefore couldn't go out an buy it. :Hammer: I swear, that brain of me sometimes...

Sounds like a very satisfying project, though. I sometimes watch a show on the BBC called The Repair Shop and I am always in awe how they manage to restore objects to former glory. They did some chairs too, it must be so much harder than it looks to do!

What will you use for stuffing?

Wanting to do a project and not having the tools or requirements can be so frustrating! That's the worst part of the lockdown - not being able to get stuff. (I haven't mastered this online shopping thing yet.) But I've made a note of that show - The Repair Shop - and I'm going to see if I can find it on the BBC channels that we can get here. Love those types of shows!! Thanks for mentioning it. :)

I've found re-upholstery to be fairly easy - I use each piece of fabric that I take off, as a template for the new piece and attach it the same way as the previous one was attached. That said, I have never tackled complex pieces of furniture like couches with curved backs or curved sides. For me, it's just a figure-it-out-as-you-go-along kind of thing. (And there have been some disasters. :roll:) I'm using foam for stuffing. I'm something of a... *cough*.... foam hoarder. So, no shortage there. :D

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have the upholstery fabric to redo the rocker, but its seat cushion needs new innards, which I do not have. Plus, zippers! You were wise to stock up while you could. Not to undermine the Shakey Shack project, but I'd love to see before and after pictures of those chairs.

Maryn, who might sew today

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I want to see pix of the chairs too. I have a thing for old chairs. Upholstery is something that baffles me (get the wordplay?) but there are 4 depression era kitchen chairs upstairs in my sister's house-- the family furniture and fixin's mausoleum. She has wanted to give them to Goodwill … or worse, for years. They are chunky and charming, painted white but no upholstery. It occurs to me that they would be pretty painted iris blue. I could sand and paint them in the shed. Hmmmm--good idea guys!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent idea! I love painted chairs, and they certainly outlast upholstery if they're used much. I have experience painting furniture, if you need how-to.

Maryn, who still has her childhood furniture, now in its 6th or 7th color iteration