PROG

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I love progrock, though I'm never quite sure what qualifies and what doesn't (someone mentioned Hawkwind; I wouldn't have thought of them, but I do very much love them). A lot of nice tracks here; especially appreciated King Crimson, because I've never really listened to much of them and that track was great. Some tracks l like from bands I haven't seen mentioned:

Ocean Gypsy - Rennaisance

Blood Red Sun - Gracious

Poet and Peasant - Beggar's Opera

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love prog! Every so often I go on a big kick of Yes, or ELP, or Rush, or The Nice or the Moody Blues. I spent about a year obsessed with ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition. I wrote about it and some of my other prog obsessions.

Have you checked out the Leave That Thing Alone podcast that goes over every single Rush album? It's hilarious. Same guys who do the bad book comedy podcast I Don't Even Own a Television.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I mentioned Mogwai earlier in the thread, I know they come a lot later and blend more into post-rock and shoegaze sometime. But I just saw these two fabulous videos and they capture the pompous, mindfucky grandiosity of prog rock so well. Both are incredibly well-done and visually interesting, and yet blur the line so perfectly between profundity and self-parody.

Party In the Dark

Teenage Exorcists

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes released their first new music in seven years yesterday. It's not bad.

TCMaynard

Registered
Reaction score
Well well... Hello fellow prog fans!

Some fine tastes you all have.
A humorous little backstory: I've been playing (and writing music) for roughly 16 years now. I've had my own band, played in a few others, yada yada. While in recent years I have become distant with those interests, my brother on the other hand has become (over) eccentric about becoming the ultimate guitarist. So, naturally, he's constantly pushing bands and artists onto me. And as I check out his recommends, I sometimes stumble upon stuff I actually enjoy.
Dream Theater is one of my favorite groups and has been for a long time. One of my brother's favorites is Symphony X, and he has to make it a point that Sx is "better" than DT.
Anyways... this eventually got me into checking out other groups in the prog metal scene. Lately I have been really enjoying Circus Maximus. I find them extremely talented (that guitar playing... *chef's kiss*), and like a lot of other groups in the prog scene, under-appreciated.
So for you prog metal heads out there, give them a listen!
(The song I keep hitting 'repeat' on: Architect of Fortune)

Cheers \m/,

Reactions: Diana Hignutt

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, I really enjoyed this cover of the Yes classic, South Side of the Sky by the Band Geeks (who are backing Jon Anderson on his current tour). This is without Anderson however: