Transcription Experience, anyone?

rosepetal720

Let the wild rumpus start!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
teralynpilgrim.blogspot.com
I've done freelance writing and editing, and I'd like to try my hand at transcription. There are so many websites that offer work, and I'm wasting a lot time sorting through them all. Does anyone have experience with doing transcription through websites? Are there any you recommend, or that I should avoid? I'm about to give Rev.com a try.

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I used to do transcription for an oral history department at a university. They would tape interviews with people who had memories of things-back-in-the-day, and we would transcribe them into a script format according to their internal standards. It was nice, because the tape players we relied on were foot-operated, so you could go over the mumbled/garbled/tricky parts over and over and over as many times as you needed to without taking your hands off the keyboard.

So-- that was in the mid-90's, and isn't useful for employer recommendations, but I wanted to point out one aspect of transcription that can be frustrating, and if you plan to get into transcription, figure out how you plan on dealing with it. I would presume that a place that takes transcription seriously would have some kind of tools available--- although obviously, a freelance-work-from-home setup would have different resources available than a central office location.

Good luck! Let us know how Rev.com works out.