Adverbs vs other modifiers

SwallowFeather

Oops I just swallowed a feather
Registered
Reaction score
Low-stakes question, but it's a bit dead here today.

I'm overusing adverbs lately. Not sure what's wrong with me, but I'm trying not to worry about it since I'm rough-drafting. I'll definitely fix it in revision, but might as well restrain myself at least a little, so... today I wrote "He accepted the supplies gratefully," went Geez, another adverb and changed it to "He accepted the supplies with gratitude."

What say you? Right or wrong? And if I was right, what is it about the adverb form that's worse? Is it just that there's a Rule against it?

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think there's much difference between "gratefully" or "with gratitude". If you are genuinely overusing adverbs I'd suggest a more fundamental rephrase. But first make sure that you actually are overusing them. You can't say "never use adverbs" without using an adverb. They're an important part of speech. Just make sure you're not using them to prop up weak sentences. If you are, strengthen the sentence.

You could show the gratitude: he grinned at the delivery driver as soon as he took the supplies out of the back of his van. "Thanks mate, you're an absolute legend!" But if it's not that important and such a tactic would disrupt the flow of the scene then "he accepted the supplies gratefully" is fine. Maybe prune a different adverb.

Last edited:

Sarahrizz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingstudiosarah.blogspot.com
Well, I've never heard any rule against using adverbs. I guess I've been doing it wrong, woops. Lol, I suppose that unless you're using too many of them, there's no problem with having a few adverbs in your work. Variety is best in a lot of things, writing included.

Last edited:

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
You can't say "never use adverbs" without using an adverb. They're an important part of speech. Just make sure you're not using them to prop up weak sentences. If you are, strengthen the sentence.

^^^THIS

The reason writers are told to avoid adverbs is because majority of the time they are being use to prop up weak verbs. Outside of that, adverbs have their place in narration and dialogue.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
+1 to neandermagnon.

The OMGZ NO ADVERBZ PLZ rule/style/suggestion thingie is not really about how evil adverbs are. Most of the cases when an adverb is used, eg, "he spoke quietly to her," could be more effectively rewritten with a more appropriate verb, eg. "he whispered to her."

Similarly, "He accepted the supplies gratefully," does not really tell much. Neither is "He accepted the supplies with gratitude," as both are very abstract and do not show how gratefully... with a fleeting smile? Kisses the delivery girl (who looks exactly like Dove Cameron)?? Tips the deliverer $50,000?????

SwallowFeather

Registered
Reaction score
Lol yeah, part of why I asked is that the whole "OMG NO ADVERBS" bit annoys me too. I don't really think "gratefully" and "with gratitude" could possibly be so different. I do think maybe there could be a rhythm factor, where the different sound of it provides variation, but for that to matter I'd have to be overusing adverbs an awful lot.

There's a bit of the show-don't-tell debate here too: I should show his gratitude, yes, but I'm in a summary passage. His gratitude matters less than the brief dialogue with his supplier that follows in which he tells how his guerilla unit hopes to get guns (the supplies that really matter.) I'm trying to whiz along and not everything can be shown. But I really like Elle's point about stronger verbs--picking a stronger verb, rather than adding an image, actually reduces word count.

SwallowFeather

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've never heard any rule against using adverbs. I guess I've been doing it wrong, woops. Lol, I suppose that unless you're using too many of them, there's no problem with having a few adverbs in your work. Variety is best in a lot of things, writing included.

Moderation in all things, including moderation! But I looked at a passage the other day and several nouns even within the same sentence had two adjectives each (yeah I'm changing the subject, sorry, I need more sleep) and I was like, that doesn't seem quite right...

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
It's a matter of extent. Too many = bad. A few sprinkled around where needed for extra emphasis = good.

I like to overwrite (a bit) my first draft... usually on a 100 K word book I'll write 105-110K, then edit to reduce. (But not to reductio ad absurdum - not sure why that phrase popped into my head just now.)

today I wrote "He accepted the supplies gratefully," went Geez, another adverb and changed it to "He accepted the supplies with gratitude."

Why not: He took the supplies and smiled.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
The problem with "gratefully" (if there is a problem) wouldn't be that it's an adverb, per se. The problem would be that the rest of the sentence isn't carrying its weight. "With gratitude" is the exact same thing, except it's two words instead of one. In the sentence, they're equally good or bad as far as being necessary or not. Losing the -ly doesn't make it better (or worse).

If there's a problem with "gratefully" here, it would be that it's too vague. But sometimes that's what you need--just say it and move along. More often than not, the "fix" for something that breaks the "rules" is worse than the original version, which probably wasn't problematic to begin with. Using "with gratitude" actually feels clunky to me here, to be honest. I can feel you, the author, trying too hard.

Don't overthink it. Use your gut to tell you when an adverb is really necessary. If you find there are too many adverbs, try beefing up the verb or switching around the sentence structure to better emphasize the thing you want to emphasize without the need for an adverb. There's also the matter of rhythm. Sometimes an adverb helps things flow; sometimes it interrupts the flow. And if you overthink that, it's gonna fall flat, because rhythm is something you have to play by ear.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Why not: He took the supplies and smiled.

Possibly because people smile for all sorts of reasons. Gratitude, pleasure, anticipation, bitterness, malice... If you're just describing the external action, the reader has to guess what's behind it. Sometimes that's what you want. Sometimes you need to be explicit to prevent misinterpretation. And sometimes the point of the passage is in the description. This person feels gratitude, not resentment or entitlement or impatience or any other possible response (any of which may also be signified by a smile).

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Possibly because people smile for all sorts of reasons.

And don't forget the rules about not having your characters smile. Too many smiles, and they'll forget about all those adverbs you removed. :) I mean :cry:

SwallowFeather

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes you need to be explicit to prevent misinterpretation. And sometimes the point of the passage is in the description. This person feels gratitude, not resentment or entitlement or impatience or any other possible response (any of which may also be signified by a smile).

Yeah, it's true actually. I really think it's OK to say things directly sometimes! Especially because human facial expressions are so hard to really describe (in a strictly physical sense) when you really think about it? I saw a question once from someone who had been a manga artist and was now trying to write prose-only; they posted a link to a certain picture of a face and asked how to physically describe the expression. I puzzled over it and was finally like, "we don't actually physically describe that expression."

We have a handful of standard physical descriptions--smile, eyebrows go up, blink, etc--that we can use, but if we're going to add anything to them it's usually interpretation--"tell" not "show." Like you say, there are many kinds of smiles, and describing the precise shape of the mouth is not how we identify them! We say "she smiled bitterly" and that's actually a nice vivid phrase, nothing wrong with it.

I also repeat facial descriptions too much (an algorithm recently picked out "eyes" as one of my keywords--embarrassing!), so I'm trying to look more to metaphor as well. I tried "a face that shut her out like a slammed door" the other day, I think it works.

And don't forget the rules about not having your characters smile. Too many smiles, and they'll forget about all those adverbs you removed. :) I mean :cry:

LOL right? :ROFL:

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
A character in a lovely book I'm reading held a woman's face in an "infinitely gentle" way, and I almost cried. Adverbs are so lovely. I bet part of what makes some of them work is when they help to form an unexpected pairing.

SwallowFeather

Registered
Reaction score
Using "with gratitude" actually feels clunky to me here, to be honest. I can feel you, the author, trying too hard.

Yeah, this is true actually!

A character in a lovely book I'm reading held a woman's face in an "infinitely gentle" way, and I almost cried. Adverbs are so lovely. I bet part of what makes some of them work is when they help to form an unexpected pairing.

Hm, I like that one too! (It was probably even better in context. A good story earns those sorts of moments.) Yeah, that's rather like what I was thinking about "smiled bitterly"--it's the pairing that does it, in that case a contrasting one. Probably a lot of the origin of the Rule discouraging adverbs was boring or obvious adverbs (telling us either things we didn't need to know or already knew).

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
(It was probably even better in context.)

So good in context. Imagine the build up. The unrequited love. The angst. Oh, so good.

A good story earns those sorts of moments.) Yeah, that's rather like what I was thinking about "smiled bitterly"--it's the pairing that does it, in that case a contrasting one. Probably a lot of the origin of the Rule discouraging adverbs was boring or obvious adverbs (telling us either things we didn't need to know or already knew).

I tend to agree. Make each word earn its weight, period. Sometimes, each syllable.