• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta Reader, 106,000 Historical Fiction on Suffragists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! As the title says I'm seeking a beta-reader for my historical fiction piece on the suffragists.

I'm mainly looking for someone to go over the overall story, development, plot, characters, etc. I also struggle with commas, so someone who could help me with that would be a plus.

I'm hoping to start submitting this piece to agents starting in the summer.

Here is my query letter for the MS. PM me if you're interested!

Cecilia Evans will do whatever it takes to get the vote for women’s rights. She scandalizes all of society by protesting in front of the White House and endures the feeding tube while on a hunger strike for suffrage. When she learns Tennessee, her home, will be the last state needed to ratify the Nineteenth Amendment, she hops on a train with a basket of roses and steams towards Nashville. She aims to pin a yellow rose, a symbol to pledge support for the vote, on every state senator she comes across.

She hasn’t stepped foot in the city’s stifling parlors since that disastrous night in the backseat of a “gentleman’s” motorcar. Hopefully, the church ladies won’t discover she was with the son of the city’s top anti-suffragist. Their whispering doesn’t deter her from navigating through Nashville’s den of Bible-thumpers, whiskey lobbyists, and klansmen. Cecilia appeals to the state’s top senators by asking them to honor the sacrifice thousands of women made during the Great War. Soon she runs out of roses and takes a position with the League of Women’s Voters to keep the crusade going.

Then the anti-suffragists print an article exposing Cecilia’s affair. When word gets out, senators who had pledged their support go back on their word. The head suffragists demand Cecilia return to Washington. With the vote days away, Cecilia must decide if she’ll retreat to save her reputation and job or confront the malicious gossip to ensure ratification.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
TellMeAStory, sending a private message is so easy even I can do it.

Left-click on Belle's user name at the top left of her post, above her avatar of herself and her horse. (Her name is blue because it links to something.) You should get a brief selection of options. One is Private Message. Click on it and voila!

You can practice on me if you want. As a kind of low-tech user when I arrived, I'm happy to share what I figured out.

Maryn, not all that high tech now

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm still looking for another beta reader if anyone is still interested. Could always use some more readers. Please PM me.

:)

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not currently in the HF audience--but wanted to say what I've seen of your writing, Belle, is fantastic, and I'd encourage anyone who's on the fence to take a look at the story.

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score
Patty-Thank you! This has been a rough day in Tennessee. That comment really means a lot to mean.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Patty-Thank you! This has been a rough day in Tennessee. That comment really means a lot to mean.

I grew up on the edge of Tornado Alley (southern indiana). Although I never saw a tornado, we had the alarm test going off regularly, and Mom always said one could hit. It was like a bogeyman.

I am hoping your area was spared all that... Stay dry and safe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.