• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Silly question about usage of the 'show' "She paled."

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I like the 'show' of saying a character paled, in response to something unexpected and/or frightening. But, frankly, I don't know if 'paling' is something that occurs across all people or not? I understand it to mean the blood drained from a person's face.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but does 'paling' happen across ancestries/ethnicities/etc?

(I hope I used all the right words here.)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
hmmm. I can't say I've ever seen anyone grow noticeably paler from, say, shock or such like.

(I have seen some people go red, tho, from embarrassment...)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I've dealt with this by having people go gray rather than pale - if the blood drains from your face, you're going to lose some red undertones, no matter what your skin tone.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
hmmm. I can't say I've ever seen anyone grow noticeably paler from, say, shock or such like.

(I have seen some people go red, tho, from embarrassment...)

Vasovagal reflex can make people's blood

I've seen people of pale complexion turn chalky, or even greenish, when they are about to puke or faint or are in great pain. It's part of what's called the vasovagal response. It entails an abrupt drop in blood pressure and heart rate and can lead to syncope (fainting). If someone has had an emotional shock that is so bad it pushes them into that physiological response, they might blanch, and feel dizzy, feel light headed and sick.

People with darker skin aren't going to turn white, obviously, but their skin can definitely take on a grayish tinge when they have that physiological reaction to pain, illness, or shock.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all! Sounds like 'blanched' might work, as a more general 'show' for red undertones draining out.

Juggernaut

Registered
Reaction score
I like the 'show' of saying a character paled, in response to something unexpected and/or frightening. But, frankly, I don't know if 'paling' is something that occurs across all people or not? I understand it to mean the blood drained from a person's face.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but does 'paling' happen across ancestries/ethnicities/etc?

(I hope I used all the right words here.)

Even people with dark skin color will look somewhat more pale if they lose too much blood. People in general might not know that, so you might want to find out another description even if it is the case, although I think "paling" of the skin would get the point across regardless of how the character looks.

I hope this helps.

Juggernaut

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Paled has more than one meaning . It can mean to become lighter or paler . It also can mean to becom less important or shrink back to something smaller . Is it possible you have both meanings in your head ?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe.

Funnily enough, I'm reading an older book and the author clearly went to lengths over the same question, saying something like 'he turned that shade of grayish green that people of darker skin tones turned when the blood leaves their head' ... and I am sort of laughing at the contortions she went through to make sure she got it right, and also thinking "yeah, that's nowhere near right."

So I'm going with 'paled' in this first draft and 'blanched' and similar. 'The blood drained.'