How do I find agent who likes Fictional Comedy?

Juggernaut

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I wrote a book which is a (medical-legal) comedy.
I do not seem to be able to find any agent who is very interested in this type of book (based on my search below - not based on rejections - Query letters are just starting to go out).

I am using agentquery.com to find agents, but even if they list "humor/satire" or "offbeat/quirky" as a genre they represent, when I look at their profile, they almost never even mention this type of genre as one that they want to represent.

Is there a special way to find the people who are interested in representing this type of book?

Thanks!
Paul

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(IANAA but) One good idea is to have a look at recently published books of a similar type, and see who agented those writers. They are often named in Acknowledgements, or you you can google author + agent. Good luck! And welcome to the Cooler! :)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there. Currently querying a satire, and I've found you have to dig a bit more when compiling your list. Often on the about me pages of agent websites they might state something like "novels that make me laugh" and/or mention specific novels that are humorous. It has seemed to me those who list humor/satire are referencing nonfiction more than fiction (based on the examples given by the agents).

So start with those who are looking for contemporary fiction, mainstream (offbeat/quirky is a plus, but I've found many don't specifically list it as something they rep) and go from there. Also, as a general rule, I much prefer querytracker to agent query, they're more active and current in the listings.

+ 1ing mccardey's rec to look at who reps novels you'd see near yours on a bookshelf.

Good luck!

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
I was pretty much coming here to suggest the same thing mccardey mentioned — find recent books in the same genre as yours and just google the name of the author + literary agent.

Anne_B

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I've found AgentQuery isn't as up-to-date or helpful as QueryTracker.net . There's a premium level at $25 a year, but even the free level is very useful.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I've found AgentQuery isn't as up-to-date or helpful as QueryTracker.net . There's a premium level at $25 a year, but even the free level is very useful.

I agree. AgentQuery doesn't seem to be getting updated these days. Querytracker is the place to go.