The Covid-19 virus

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If we had adequate testing here in the US we could have slowed this thing down. We could have been the modern country with advanced health care that people believe we are.

If the medical professionals in the CDC and other public health branches had been paying attention to the same material I had access to (in other words this isn't brain surgery) they would have stopped giving out false information a month ago. Instead they kept giving us interim guidelines that only people with symptoms were contagious and people with symptoms but no history of exposure didn't need testing.

I will never have confidence in our public health after this.

I'm sorry you're going through so much, Alpha Echo. I've come to the point of tears several times today. My retirement money that was supposed to come this week hasn't even had the final approval yet. All they have to do is some final last check. It's not like there's any doubt, just red tape.

Fortunately I have enough for another month's bills, but that means letting a couple credit cards accumulate interest. I used to always have those cards paid off every month.

I don't know if I qualify for a small business loan. We are supposed to go through our banks and my credit union closed all the branches. Who do I even talk to?

I really don't know if I should try to get by or let the debts build up even more.

And this morning my dog either had one serious nightmare or a seizure. He let out a blood curdling whine but by the time I ran to where he was it had ended. He was breathing hard, he had peed, and it scared the other dog. But he's been fine all day. He has had some kind of focal (petit mal) seizure for months. He jerks his head in a twitch and a couple times it included his jaw opening. But they mostly happen when we are outside and not inside, whatever that means. And the pet med websites say it's probably not dangerous. This morning's incident was bad timing. Hard to take him in to the emergency vet and have them run a full workup when I don't have thousands of dollars to pay for it.

None of us need anything else, do we. This is so stressful. It's no wonder crying comes with it.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Why does Sir James Dyson seem so much more practical and helpful than Elon Musk?

And, bless millionaires who use their own money and initiative to do the necessary rather than waiting for the government to get it's act together and step in!
They give the rich a good name.

Okay, I may have spoken ill of someone without giving them a chance. It seems that Elon Musk has bought a respirator company, ramped up production and is donating hundreds of respirators to New York City! Good man, Elon! Another millionaire shows his humanity!

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/worl...o-new-york/ar-BB11OcD2?li=AAggFp4&OCID=FIRPLC

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm so sorry Alpha Echo, and I hope your dog is okay, MaeZe. My dog was a bit off yesterday--barfed his completely undigested breakfast at 4 in the afternoon and had the runs, but he seems fine today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it was just the leftover turkey my spouse gave him the day before not sitting well (didn't bother our other dog at all). Going to the vet is a whole different protocol now--they have you call from the parking lot, and someone comes out and gets your pet to take into the clinic without you. That will definitely be more stressful for the animals, but safer for the staff and customers this way.

I think a lot of high school and college students are sad right now. Seniors who are missing out on the senior-year festivities and graduation ceremonies, and they are missing what might be the last chance to hang with their friends before their virtual graduation. But the younger students are also missing hanging with their friends and their extracurricular activities.

One of my nieces is a freshman physics major at UC Davis. She was loving living in the dorms and had made some friends and enjoying college life and her classes. Now she's back home taking her classes online (including physics labs, which are not going to be in any way equivalent online), and feeling cheated of something she'd been looking forward to for quite a while (she was so excited to be accepted to that university and to move away from home to live in a different part of the state from her parents. No idea if there is a special boyfriend in the picture, but I'm guessing a lot of young lovers are pretty unhappy right now).

I've been kind of sad myself. I'm on the introverted side of things, but it's still surreal and lonely not having human contact outside of social media, phone calls, and conversations with neighbors, shouted from across the street. At least I have my spouse and animals. I think it's got to be really bad for folks who live alone, and extroverts must be climbing the walls already.

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Our cat picked the 'best' time to get an ear infection, two days after the vet went emergency only. Luckily they considered it emergency enough as this sort of thing generally doesn't clear without meds. At least it wasn't ear mite, which I was worried for, just a bacterial infection. He seems prone to them. Joy.

We were still allowed inside, but just one person per animal. I hope they will soon shift to collecting the animals from the cars, which does seem like a better system for laid-back animals.

We also have the dubious honour of being the first country where a cat has apparently contracted COVID-19 from their ill owner. Apparently this is excedingly rare.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tomorrow's the day I head back to work. I'm thinking very hard about not going back. I probably wouldn't get unemployment because it would be considered a leave of absence. I would not have health insurance for the duration I'm out for. But I live in Albany, and it is getting very serious here. Might not be a bad idea to try to stay in for a few more weeks, until we get passed peak, and then reconsider. I'm 55. I have COPD and asthma. The last couple times I got the flu, I got pneumonia. Things will be tight financially, but I would almost certainly not get the virus. I don't know what to do. But, I have to figure it out today, anyway.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Omg folks. Hugs all around. Just gotta take it one day at a time, I suppose.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Another bit of good news. In our little corner of the World, anyway.

Physical distancing has halved rate of spread of COVID-19 in B.C., official modelling suggests
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...al-modelling-suggests/ar-BB11O0qw?OCID=FIRPLC

Health officials say physical distancing restrictions in B.C. are successfully beginning to slow the rate of spread of new COVID-19 cases in the province, perhaps by as much as half.
But despite the "glimmer of hope," provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and other officials stressed that the province is not out of the woods and the health-care system still needs to be prepared for an inevitable surge in hospitalizations.
"I'm trying not to over-call it, but I do believe we've seen a flattening, a falling-off of that curve," Henry said Friday, referring to the growth of new COVID-19 patients in B.C.
"What we need, though, is for everybody to continue to pay attention to these [physical distancing] measures so we can continue to prevent transmissions in our communities ... for the coming weeks."

We sort of had the same message yesterday from our Quebec PM. Not enough data to have a definitive conclusion, but there is a trend.

I'll take any good news that comes along.

-cb

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tomorrow's the day I head back to work. I'm thinking very hard about not going back. I probably wouldn't get unemployment because it would be considered a leave of absence. I would not have health insurance for the duration I'm out for. But I live in Albany, and it is getting very serious here. Might not be a bad idea to try to stay in for a few more weeks, until we get passed peak, and then reconsider. I'm 55. I have COPD and asthma. The last couple times I got the flu, I got pneumonia. Things will be tight financially, but I would almost certainly not get the virus. I don't know what to do. But, I have to figure it out today, anyway.

And...I'm out. Can't do it. I texted my boss and told him I'm out until we get passed the peak of the pandemic. I'll still have to go into the store in a few days to drop off my keys and to print out copies of my paystubs, as there's a tiny chance I'll be eligible of unemployment. Anyway, the die is cast. I have some money in the bank. I guess we'll see what happens.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
And...I'm out. Can't do it. I texted my boss and told him I'm out until we get passed the peak of the pandemic. I'll still have to go into the store in a few days to drop off my keys and to print out copies of my paystubs, as there's a tiny chance I'll be eligible of unemployment. Anyway, the die is cast. I have some money in the bank. I guess we'll see what happens.

Hugs to you, Diana. FWIW, I think you did the right thing. Please look after yourself through this.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hey, Diana, I'm glad you're taking steps to keep yourself safe. I only hope, once this is over, that there will be opportunities for employees who become ill because their employers were playing fast and loose with their state's laws and recommendations, have the opportunity to financial compensation from said employers.

Speaking of lawsuits, the NRA is suing California's governor, because he didn't declare gun shops an essential service. I mean, what could make this crisis better? Shooting each other in the face, of course!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/us/nra-sues-california-over-gun-store-closures/index.html

Another thing that makes me sick is Trump is getting an approval bump from this. For the first time since he took office, he's over 50% approval in some polls. It's common for a POTUS to get a temporary bump in a time of crisis. I mean GW went from being pretty low to over 70% after 911 in spite of all his bumbling. He was also a 2-term POTUS in spite of getting us into an expensive and protracted war under false pretenses. But by comparison, Trump's rise is relatively anemic.

Still, it depresses me to see that at least some people who were not firmly in the "pro-Trump" camp before are buying his lies, ignorance, and backsliding for something resembling leadership. One thing to remember is that some parts of the country have been relatively unscathed so far. It's possible the approval will wane as more red and "purple" states see their numbers spike and death rates climb as more and more hospitals can't get what they need. It's pretty clear most people in those red and purple states don't give a crap about what is happening to people in New York, but maybe they'll care when it's their own relatives, friends and neighbors getting sick.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Trump is kind of clearly trying to blame this now on NY, and saying he's going to quarantine NY/NJ (save the golf course, I assume)/CT.

Cuomo, when asked about this, said, basically, 'huh?'

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Speaking of lawsuits, the NRA is suing California's governor, because he didn't declare gun shops an essential service.

With the courts closed for the foreseeable future and NRA coffers on the low side, this sounds like PR more than anything.

Another thing that makes me sick is Trump is getting an approval bump from this.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

― H.L. Mencken

-cb

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Mine breaks for those who live with abusive people right now - but I'm sure there's enough heartbreak to go around :(
I've been wondering/worrying about the people in abusive relationships ever since this whole quarantine thing started. I've known a lot of abuse victims (used to be involved in a charity group helping them) and getting out of the house and away from the abuser, even if only to go to work, was a total lifeline for so many of them. Combine everyone being trapped at home with the extreme stresses--financial and otherwise--of this situation and ... well, it will be extremely bad for some people.

My daughter, 15 and only recently showing incredible social independence, (also incredibly hormonal and on BC pills to regulate her terrible period, poor kid)broke down the other day. Completely distraught because she likely won't see her senior friends before they head off to college.
I really feel for your daughter too. I vividly remember being her age and I'd have viewed being trapped at home with my parents as worse than prison. As much as this is affecting all of us, I have to think it's hurting teenagers worst of all. At that age your friends and lovers are your life. Time also literally is perceived as passing slower at that age, so a teenager spending a week quarantined at home is like me spending months quarantined (I'm almost 33, and I have my husband here with me too). I will point out, though, that her friends probably aren't going anywhere as long as all these restrictions are in place. At least, all the colleges in my state are shut down, and I'm sure they won't be reopening until after the restrictions on groups gathering are lifted.

Also, MaeZe, multi-quote doesn't want to work for me, but I've been dealing with my dog having idiopathic epilepsy for years, so if you have any questions or just want to commiserate, you can PM me. I'm one of those people who deals with things like that by researching them to death, plus I've consulted with a top veterinary neurologist, so I do know a fair bit about it all.

Hugs of the virtual, non-infectious kind to all who want them. I've had to mostly tune out the news for my own mental health, so I really don't have much else to add.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First, you did the right thing.

Try applying for unemployment anyway. Some states are accepting quitting because you have risk factors preventing you from working as a legitimate claim:

While the CARES Act says workers can get unemployment pay for quitting as a “direct result of COVID-19,” it’s ultimately up to states to determine how much leeway they want to give workers, according to experts.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/how...t-more-than-100percent-of-their-paycheck.html

I'm looking into filing a claim as an independent contractor who doesn't pay into the insurance fund. I haven't really heard a clear answer where I fall. They are saying "gig workers" can apply. It's probably a long shot but I can't lose by filing.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter, 15 and only recently showing incredible social independence, (also incredibly hormonal and on BC pills to regulate her terrible period, poor kid)broke down the other day. Completely distraught because she likely won't see her senior friends before they head off to college. I think this is affecting our young ones in ways we can't understand. We can KNOW without understanding at the same level. She's also concerned for friends she has with extreme asthma. And her grandparents. We've been frank with her, but gentle. Though we will hopefully escape with our health, we will likely know someone who will not.

:Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2: I'm so sorry she (and you) are going through this.

As someone who works with emotional children—I'm guessing she needs to know that her negative emotions are OK. Whether they're big (worried for friends and Grandma, etc.) or seemingly petty (distraught over a cancelled event). And then gentle support not to get stuck in them.

Honestly, we all need that.

Multi-quote ain't working for me either, but Diana, I'm so very glad you have the resources to stay home. Sounds like the shop is unsafe hell.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'm 55. I have COPD and asthma. The last couple times I got the flu, I got pneumonia.
Diana, you're doing the right thing by staying home. Given your medical history, I'd hope a note from your doctor would be adequate for signing up for any relief that's available.
If you've got any savings, this is what you have been saving for. And let the damn owners take their chances handing Tire Sheen to fools who think this is a good time to shine their tires.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Diana, will you get sick or vacation time while you're out? It sounds like you are exactly the type of person who should stay home for your own safety, and I'd be floored if there's not some financial aid for you in some quarter or another.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the kind words and support. I'm going to apply for unemployment tomorrow. Even if I don't get it, I have enough saved, plus the stimulus money, to pay all bills for three months. I'm in much better shape than a lot of people. Now, I'm just going out once a week for groceries and every two weeks for the laundromat. I feel a great sense of relief at not having to go in to sell the tire shine. I do feel badly for my coworkers who are still endangering their lives to keep profits up at a borderline "essential" business. Everyone has to make their own decision.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Desperate for medical equipment, states encounter a beleaguered national stockpile

Anecdotally, there are wide differences, and they do not appear to follow discernible political or geographic lines. Democratic-leaning Massachusetts, which has had a serious outbreak in Boston, has received 17 percent of the protective gear it requested, according to state leaders. Maine requested a half-million N95 specialized protective masks and received 25,558 — about 5 percent of what it sought. The shipment delivered to Colorado — 49,000 N95 masks, 115,000 surgical masks and other supplies — would be “enough for only one full day of statewide operations,” Rep. Scott R. Tipton (R-Colo.) told the White House in a letter several days ago.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency inherited control of the stockpile barely a week ago from HHS. Lizzie Litzow, a FEMA spokeswoman, acknowledged the agency maintains a spreadsheet tracking each state’s request and shipments. Litzow declined repeated requests to release the details, saying the numbers are in flux.

Florida has been an exception in its dealings with the stockpile: The state submitted a request on March 11 for 430,000 surgical masks, 180,000 N95 respirators, 82,000 face shields and 238,000 gloves, among other supplies — and received a shipment with everything three days later, according to figures from the state’s Division of Emergency Management. It received an identical shipment on March 23, according to the division, and is awaiting a third.

As I've said many times since 2016, every single thing Trump does is motivated by some combination of greed, ego, or vengeance. He's going to kill as many people as he can and enjoy it. It's that simple. If you voted for him, when your family members start dying, are you still going to be defending him and cheering that you're "owning the libs?"

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In good news, law enforcement officers at The Day Job™ have donated 3000 N95 masks to local health care facilities because we sure as hell ain't using them at the moment.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Desperate for medical equipment, states encounter a beleaguered national stockpile

As I've said many times since 2016, every single thing Trump does is motivated by some combination of greed, ego, or vengeance. He's going to kill as many people as he can and enjoy it. It's that simple. If you voted for him, when your family members start dying, are you still going to be defending him and cheering that you're "owning the libs?"

He has now accused health care workers of hoarding ventilators and of stealing masks, because there's no way they could be going through them so fast.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...plies-face-masks-are-being-stolen/ar-BB11SPkR

Again, his utter cluelessness and insensitivity is on display, yet many Americans approve. It's so depressing.

And when this is over, we are going to have a bunch of emotionally damaged, traumatized health care workers. There has to be a huge emotional toll imposed by deciding who gets to live and who gets to die, from working unsistainable (even by medical workers' standards) hours under awful conditions, from the constant fear of becoming infected, and from being unable to save people they should be able to save.

Last edited: