Agents recommending paid editing

Cephus

Registered
Reaction score
I believe the OP described a situation where an agent referred authors she was already representing to a specific editor. However, the situation of “I might offer rep if you get the book edited“ is if anything a clearer red flag. For a long time this was a standard scam: agents would refer hopeful authors to an editor with vague promises of maybe-rep, and receive kickbacks from the editor for each successful referral. Needless to say neither the agents nor the editors in this cozy scenario were the cream of the crop, so the poor author ended up with an overpriced, sub-par editing job and no useful representation.

It’s been a while since I’ve heard this particular boat getting floated — it may have gone out of style — but old reflexes die hard. An agent offering rep if I got the book professionally edited — then “helpfully” suggesting an editor — would make me personally run screaming in the other direction.

I didn't get that out of it either, although by now, I suppose it's neither here nor there. I can imagine an agent seeing something in a book, but knowing that the book simply isn't good enough to be submitted to publishers in its current state. It might have potential but not be there in actuality. Honestly though, who knows? In any case, you can either keep looking for another agent or you can do something to improve the book. It's entirely up to the author.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I can imagine an agent telling an author to get an outside editor (not a specific editor!) to copyedit/proofread a ms., if it has a lot of tiny errors. But developmental editing? An agent who thinks there’s “something there” but doesn’t know how to bring it out should be passing on the book, IMO, so that an agent who knows how to fulfill the book’s potential can rep it. That’s generally what happens, in my experience. An agent who sees strong potential usually also has definite ideas about how to bring out that potential and will at least offer an R&R. A hired developmental editor might end up having completely different ideas about improving the book, leading to a product the agent doesn’t want after all.

Ronoc100

Registered
Reaction score
Great question. I often wondered this myself. I can see it worthwhile for an agent to recommend an editor if there may be some fine tuning after she has already signed you, but anything beyond that I would become skeptical as to the relationship between the two