Not sure where to market this story

Ian_Eller

Registered
Reaction score
As a tool to help me "get my groove" back, I wrote a "micronovel" (I don't know if that is a word) by writing a single 100 word chapter every day for 100 days (so, 10K words, which is in the longish short story range). It was a really great exercise, as it made me really think about word choice and being concise, while also making me thing about it structurally like a much longer work. it turned out better than I expected (but of course still needs some revision).

All that said, I am not sure what to do with it. It is an unusual format, so I am not sure where to attempt to market it: short story markets, novella markets, self publish it?

Anyone have any ideas.

Almost forgot to say: it is a hard-ish sci fi piece.

Last edited:

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like something that would work as a novella/novellette (I forget the difference) or as a serial. There are a few places that are actively doing serials now, SERIAL Magazine, being the most obvious. There are others, I think I saw one recently that had a real "pulp" aesthetic. (It may have been called that, even." Highly recommend running your story's stats through the Submission Grinder. https://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/Search/ByFilter

Ian_Eller

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like something that would work as a novella/novellette (I forget the difference) or as a serial. There are a few places that are actively doing serials now, SERIAL Magazine, being the most obvious. There are others, I think I saw one recently that had a real "pulp" aesthetic. (It may have been called that, even." Highly recommend running your story's stats through the Submission Grinder. https://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/Search/ByFilter

That's a great website. Thanks!

The Eighteenth Letter

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone... I am kind of finding myself in the same position as Ian. Is there any other publications or publishers that could fall into that category, maybe leaning a little bit more towards prose/short fiction?

thanks