What is this?????

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I have a MG short story I've been working on and I am confused about the genre. Here are the main characters (Ages are 11-12):

A human
A ghost
An alien
A humanoid that lives underwater

Yeah...I know that combination seems random, but it works...I hope.

The world they live is modern and is on Earth but there are more humanoid species that exist. For example, there are mole-like people who live underground and humans with fur who live in the arctic.

Now for the plot:

There is a (well know) organization that stops apocalypses before they happen. The MCs I mentioned above are part of the organization.

I think it might be superhero or action because of the apocalypse stopping, but a few of the stories in the collection don't involve stopping apocalypses, but are more or less slice-of-life. For example... The alien tries to ask the ghost to a dance. The humanoid that lives underwater is trying to make his pet sea otter a mascot. Stuff like that.

So what is it?

Thank you any words of advice are welcome.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds a bit like superhero fantasy, although you haven't mentioned any super-powers any of your MC might possess. Maybe like an MG version of the Hellboy, X-Men or Avengers franchises.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
This sounds a bit like superhero fantasy, although you haven't mentioned any super-powers any of your MC might possess. Maybe like an MG version of the Hellboy, X-Men or Avengers franchises.

Thank you. My characters don't have any powers outside of what is natural for their species. Can it still be superhero?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
MrsMig cited Hellboy, and it sounds like she's spot on as a reference. The two main nonhuman characters just are what they are, but they also do good. Hellboy is considered superhero fiction, so it sounds like that's your angle.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
"Adventure" seems like the most fitting label. Adventure fiction can include supernatural elements, such as the fantastic or extraterrestrial.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. My characters don't have any powers outside of what is natural for their species. Can it still be superhero?

Iron Man and Batman don't have super powers. They're just incredibly wealthy and smart. ;)

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with superhero. You wouldn't call it contemporary just because it has their normal lives. Even then, I think that their abilities and missions would play a part, even if it was only mentally.

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score

How are they able to stop the apocalypses? Seems like that would take some extraordinary qualities of some kind, whether they're inherent or acquired.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
How are they able to stop the apocalypses? Seems like that would take some extraordinary qualities of some kind, whether they're inherent or acquired.

Well, they stop the apocalypses before they happen. For example a egg might hatch into something that would cause an apocalypse so they would swoop in and take the egg the their HQ.

EDIT: I decided that this is superhero. Thanks all.

Last edited: