Don't it always, seem to go

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
Don't know what you've got 'till it's gone.

Today is the first time I've been able to even see the site in 2020. Did not realize how important it was to me until i couldn't come here anymore.

So thanks to everyone -- McAllister, the mods, everyone who posts and participates here -- for making it a special place. I hope the people who did this to you have freshly broken kneecaps, and that you can continue on uninterrupted for a long, long time.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you EVERYONE so much for your hard work. It's so good to see all the familiar faces—well, avatars! :e2flowers

SAWeiner

Reaction score
Thanks, Mods!!! I am also grateful for your hard work bringing this site back to life. I really missed being able to log in.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It behooves someone to mention that the return of AW, and its day-to-day operation, is not without cost. If you're a regular here, why not subscribe with a monthly payment of an affordable amount? If that doesn't work for you, a single donation--today's good!--will help offset the expenses incurred in bringing AW back online. And of course purchasing items through AW affiliates when you're going to buy something anyway helps them without costing you a cent.

See more information and some details about how to contribute to Absolute Write.

Maryn, pleased she got to use behooves

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok - Just made donation. Great to see the site back again. Must have been a huge amount of work to sort things out. Much appreciated.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't realize how much I depended on AW until we reached the second week of February. I checked my records and I hadn't donated since last summer, so I just bought a voluntary subscription.

Thank you once again to Mac, Lisa and everyone else who labored to get the site up and running again. And curses on those stupid bots.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Thanks so much, everyone.

I love this community. It's scary and frustrating and infuriating to have someone deliberately trying to nuke it.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
And curses on those stupid bots.

Thank you!

I want to make it clear though that the bots in question were deliberately used by humans.

Humans who were almost certainly paid to attack AW. This was a deliberate, repeated series of attacks, intended to knock the site offline and keep it off.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! We're back.

Such a good effort on behalf of McAlister, Lisa, and all the others who made the site come back. I've missed this place a lot. Donation sent!

Last edited:

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
It behooves someone to mention that the return of AW, and its day-to-day operation, is not without cost. If you're a regular here, why not subscribe with a monthly payment of an affordable amount? If that doesn't work for you, a single donation--today's good!--will help offset the expenses incurred in bringing AW back online. And of course purchasing items through AW affiliates when you're going to buy something anyway helps them without costing you a cent.

See more information and some details about how to contribute to Absolute Write.

Maryn, pleased she got to use behooves

*First, applauds Maryn's usage of "behooves"*
Yup, done did. I subscribed after many years of forum use. There's nothing quite like losing something you love to finally, finally, make you realize it. A huge "thank you!" to Mac, Medi, and the rest of the crew. It's really nice to be home with everyone.

*edited because when I get all emotional and stuff, I, apparently, can't spell.*

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

I want to make it clear though that the bots in question were deliberately used by humans.

Humans who were almost certainly paid to attack AW. This was a deliberate, repeated series of attacks, intended to knock the site offline and keep it off.

Well, that sucks. I take it you have some idea who these individuals are?

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Hi, everyone! I haven't posted much the past couple of years--life stuff--but I've missed being able to log on and read.

Thank you, Mac and Lisa and mods for everything you do. Will send $$ shortly. (Getting back online must have cost a pretty penny.)

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I have never been happier to see the return of a website. Makes me realise how much I appreciate AW.

Help a UK user, chaps!

Maybe I am not the sharpest tool, but I tried following the subscription link, yet it is only offering me the paypal option. I can't find the option to pay by debit card. I do not know whether it is relevant; I am using Firefox as my browser.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I have never been happier to see the return of a website. Makes me realise how much I appreciate AW.

Help a UK user, chaps!

Maybe I am not the sharpest tool, but I tried following the subscription link, yet it is only offering me the paypal option. I can't find the option to pay by debit card. I do not know whether it is relevant; I am using Firefox as my browser.

Try this link: https://www.paypal.me/AbsoluteWrite

It should let you use a debit card.

It should work. There's also the option to use AW's Amazon UK affilate link if you buy something from Amazon UK.

Mac may have a better suggestion since she runs the PayPal account.

Either way, thanks for wanting to help. We appreciate it.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
So, now that this is over (?) I have some questions which may or may not be answerable or appropriate. Understood if either is the case.

One: Somewhere on twitter I heard rumors that AW was not the only site having "shenanigans," as I think it was called, at this time. I am super curious about that, and what other sites, and what other shenanigans, etc. So... what was that all about?

Two: ALSO at the same time AW went down, a NEW writing forum site supposedly went up, that sounded AN AWFUL LOT LIKE AW, created by some folks who (to all appearances and I've never heard otherwise) seem like nice people. It was a really strange coincidence, and I thought it weird that no one else remarked on it (well, that I heard, again). I'm not naming them because I'm not accusing them of being involved, nor am I encouraging that, I'm just asking if anyone else noticed. I mean, did I hallucinate that entire weirdness, or what?

Three: I am a nosy old thing and I don't have anyone else to talk to about any of this and sometimes you just have to say things or your head will explode.

Four: I MISSED AW SO MUCH.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
So, now that this is over (?) I have some questions which may or may not be answerable or appropriate. Understood if either is the case.

There are a lot of writing forums; no reason not to have lots.

I'm personally in particular favor of niche forums; I think genre or similar kinds of writing forums can be particularly helpful in creating communities of work.

And the more we writers connect with each other, I think the better it is for everyone.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
The shenanigans I mentioned on twitter were unrelated to what happened here. The site I linked to is a baby forum trying to get its legs underneath itself. It generally focuses on story structure and theory, as a broad generality.

Again, not related to the stuff here. There are plenty of silly people doing silly and harmful things all over the internet.

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
So very grateful for all the hard work and that you never gave up. I was devastated when I heard the news that someone was that determined and was sad to think AW might not be around.

This is home. I plan to visit more often. Let me know how I can help. Thank you, Mayrn for posting the link to contribute.

Ya'll rock!

Edited to add: Put my money where my mouth is. Donating is easy. Hope others will do the same.

Last edited:

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My heartfelt thanks to AW Admin and Mac (and everyone else) for the all the hard work in getting AW back up - as well as all the work you do in keeping it here. I'm waiting for payment on a freelance writing job and will contribute as soon as its in. :heart: you people!!

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you to AW Admin and MacAllister and everyone else who toiled behind the scenes to bring AW back to life. This has been my home for the last 8 years or so and I’m so glad that we’re going strong. I’m always directing new writers here as it’s truly the best resource there is. Thank you again, and I’m grateful to be part of the AW fam.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Woot! I missed AW so much, too!

Thanks to all who worked so hard to get us back online.

I think I donated a while back. Will do so again when I can.