Dem 2020 Race: The Road to Super Tuesday

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine Klobuchar as the VP at all. TBH, Warren also doesn't make sense to me, tho after today maybe more sense than Klobuchar. Abrams definitely has potential, but I don't see it either. And obviously my pick is going to be Harris and I'm still thin-skinned about misperceptions wrd her justice record and some of the habitual nastiness surrounding her treatment in the MSM. Day that ends in 'day'.

But as long as everyone can get it straight that the VP should be a BW I'm happy to stay out of this miserable horse-race.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Biden's speech today is excellent.
Yeah, most of it.

How could he be so ignorant to be misinformed about non-lethal force? Has he been asleep the last couple decades? Who hasn't asked the question before, 'why don't the police shoot at legs or something'? It's been asked and answered a gazillion times. If they need to draw use their weapon, they need to shoot to kill. There are other non-lethal means they are supposed to use if it is not an immediately life threatening situation.

And I wish he'd heard the excellent interview on Amanpour and Company yesterday (June 1st episode (requires registration to watch also linked in the George Floyd thread) with DeRay Mckesson, one of the Black Lives Matters leaders. He articulated what was needed in clear and concise terms.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, most of it.

How could he be so ignorant to be misinformed about non-lethal force? Has he been asleep the last couple decades? Who hasn't asked the question before, 'why don't the police shoot at legs or something'? It's been asked and answered a gazillion times. If they need to draw their weapon, they need to shoot to kill. There are other non-lethal means they are supposed to use if it is not an immediately life threatening situation.

Do you mean his speech this morning? Or is this referring to other comments he made recently? I might be missing something.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Murkowski ‘struggling’ with whether to support Trump, backs Mattis after rebuke
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mu...er-to-support-trump-backs-mattis-after-rebuke

Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski on Thursday said she is “struggling” with whether to support President Trump in the next election amid his handling of the unrest following George Floyd's death in the custody of the Minneapolis Police Department, while backing former Defense Secretary Jim Mattis’ condemnation of the president as “necessary and overdue.”
Murkowski, R-Alaska, said she was “thankful,” after Mattis delivered an extraordinary rebuke of Trump’s actions this week.
“I thought General Mattis’ words were true and honest and necessary and overdue,” she told reporters on Capitol Hill Thursday, while noting she has been “struggling for the right words.”
“When I saw General Mattis’ comments yesterday I felt like perhaps we are getting to a point where we can be more honest with the concerns that we might hold internally,” she said. “And have the courage of our own convictions to speak up.

Struggling for the right words (Floyd died 10 days ago). Felt. Perhaps. Getting to a point (but not there yet?). More honest with concerns.

A GOP Senator with a modicum of scrupules. What's next? The coming back of the dodo?

And of course...

Trump slams Murkowski, vows to go to Alaska to campaign against her
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tr...ski-vows-to-go-to-alaska-campaign-against-her

President Trump said he would campaign against Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski from Alaska in 2022 after she told reporters she was “struggling” to support the president in his reelection because of how he handled the George Floyd protests.
"Few people know where they’ll be in two years from now, but I do, in the Great State of Alaska (which I love) campaigning against Senator Lisa Murkowski," Trump tweeted Thursday night.

Ah. Yes. 2022. Two years from now. Assuming Trump is still POTUS by then. Had her election had been in 2020, me guess she would have been far less scrupulous...

-cb

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Guys I'm frustrated too, but stop making fun of or altering names in mockery.

Write harder. Do better. Be better.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Hundreds Of Former Bush Officials Unite To Endorse Joe Biden

A group of former George W. Bush administration officials has pledged to "engage and mobilize disenchanted GOP voters" through a new super PAC formed to elect Joe Biden to the White House.

The group — 43 Alumni for Biden, a reference to Bush, the 43rd president — described its formation as an effort to restore "the principles of unity, tolerance and compassion to the greatest elected office in the world."

"For four years, we have watched with grave concern as the party we loved has morphed into a cult of personality that little resembles the party of Lincoln and Reagan," said Karen Kirksey, the group's director.

"We endorse Joe Biden not necessarily in full support of his political agenda but rather in full agreement with the urgent need to restore the soul of this nation. Once elected, we look forward to working in a bipartisan way through civil, spirited debate on the many important issues facing Americans today and for decades to come."

The group, consisting of hundreds of former Bush officials, is the latest effort by establishment Republicans to reject the leadership of President Trump, who sailed to the presidency in the 2016 election on a blistering, divisive campaign centered on nationalism and a rejection of the politically correct.

Glad to see it.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I hope we get to the convention relatively quickly. I’d like to hear his VP pick. Luckily the only person who I’d even consider voting for a third party if he picked her for VP has asked not to be considered. :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

Me too, and it strongly suggests there are many conservatives who are at least secretly disturbed by what's become of their party, or at least about Trump's fitness to lead. However, the cynical side of me wonders how many of these particular Republicans currently hold public office, and if they did, would they be speaking out against Trump so publicly.

It seems like nearly all the Republicans who actually hold elected office, or are appointees in the current government, are terrified of defecting from Trump. The former, I assume, because they fear their base's defection, and the latter, because they will be fired if they criticize the Dear Leader.

The party has created a monster, and they can't control it anymore. Instead of "putting it down," (metaphorically speaking), they have grabbed onto its tail and holding on for dear life.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gregg, can you link to a reliable source?

It's reliable enough. All it says is one Democrat doesn't think Biden has done enough for blacks.
Georgia State Rep. Vernon Jones (D) on Tuesday penned an opinion piece slamming former Vice President Joe Biden for failing to stand up to protect the black community...

In particular, Jones takes issue with the left's calls to "defund the police," which they say is in response to the murder of George Floyd.
Defund the police is horrible messaging. Honestly. we need to move on past that into just what reforms are needed.

But we have time.

This guy is a state rep, not even a Congressional Rep. Trump supporters who believe Trump's lies that he's done great things for the black population in this country are unfortunate. Unemployment was down for everyone, so Trump claims that was good for blacks. The trouble is, they did not make gains in income levels or home ownership, the things that mark actual economic gains. Trump supporters never look under the hood.

In the meantime leading Republicans formed The Lincoln Project which is doing some incredible stuff.
OUR MISSION
Defeat President Trump and Trumpism
at the ballot box.
We do not undertake this task lightly nor from ideological preference. Our many policy differences with national Democrats remain. However, the priority for all patriotic Americans must be a shared fidelity to the Constitution and a commitment to defeat those candidates who have abandoned their constitutional oaths, regardless of party. Electing Democrats who support the Constitution over Republicans who do not is a worthy effort.

Last edited:

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
We’ve been defunding the arts programs in schools for years, yet they haven’t disappeared. People need to let go of their obsession with the one word, “defund,” and hear the message. I think that’ll be likelier if we find wording to communicate the same information without the word “defund” in it.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
It's reliable enough. All it says is one Democrat doesn't think Biden has done enough for blacks.

Oh, Vernon Jones, the “Democrat” who appears on Fox News and rails on Twitter about criticisms of Tr*mp supporters as hate crimes. That Vernon Jones. It’s a mystery why I thought that source was so biased it wasn’t worth trusting.

Anyway, I have my answer now, and we can all feel free to ignore the article as more right-wing schlock.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
218c0b71-6add-49c0-974e-b671cdd9aba0
:partyguy:
ede374dc-9ec2-4f9c-9d64-fee71c1df527

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Not my preferred candidate for VP (why is in another thread here) but I’m voting for her anyway. To do otherwise, regardless of what the GOP, and yes, Townhall.com and Vernon Jones have to say, would be an anathema.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Democratic convention begins.

So far it's absolutely excellent. Very professional for a convention via zoom or whichever program they are using. They have ready to go pieces.

Biden is an incredible human being (the theme) who bought coffee for fellow train riders, checked on them personally after things like a heart attack. Took the train every day to work, always saw the kids in the morning and always spent time with them in the evening....During the debates he talked to fellow candidates when it was over to tell them what good ideas he thought they had.... Very convincing and what a stark contrast to Trump's narcissism.

Last edited:

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Mrs. Obama was great, as she always is.

Just makes more even more sad that Joe is the candidate.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I adore Michelle Obama. When I was first starting to research Barack, waaaay back, I kept getting side-tracked with Michelle. I joke that she's the first thing about Barack I liked, and it's true. I didn't dislike him. I just didn't know much about him. I was and remain a strong Hillary Clinton supporter, so I wasn't trying to find reasons to like or dislike Barack. I just wanted info. When the right screamed about how racist Michelle's thesis was, I read it, with no agenda, and was so impressed. Last night, she showed why she is so widely beloved.

I thought last night was wonderful. I teared up when those young people sang the National Anthem (and their pics morphed into stars) and a few other times. So grateful to those who spoke.

Cindy McCain is latest Republican to join in DNC convention, video to air tonight

Cindy McCain is going to bat for Joe Biden, lending her voice to a video set to air during Tuesday night’s Democratic National Convention programming focused on Biden’s close friendship with her late husband, Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona.

She’s just the latest Republican to join in the convention, after a number of notable GOP former elected officials — including former Ohio Gov. John Kasich — endorsed the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee on Monday night. It's a continuation of a major theme that Democrats have pushed through the first night of the convention — an effort to broaden the party's appeal to occasional Republicans and disaffected Trump voters.

I look forward to seeing that and to the rest of the convention. It's nice to see Republican after Republican, prominent and regular folk, praise Biden and say he is what we need.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I really enjoyed the roll call. That was way more interesting than holding it on the convention floor. We never could have gotten Calamari Guy that way!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I really enjoyed the roll call. That was way more interesting than holding it on the convention floor. We never could have gotten Calamari Guy that way!

Calamari Guy!!!! That was so funny.

Barack Obama gave a great speech tonight, and I think Harris did a wonderful job with hers too. I Hope Trump broke his thumbs with all the furious tweeting he did in response to Obama's speech!