AW is an Amazon Affiliate and an Amazon UK affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a
voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

online thriller school

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The 2020 AW Reading Challenge! Perfectly visionary.

Threaded View

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar
    I finished A Picture of Dorian Gray. Wow, that was good! Accessible, paced well, connectable characters, and some top-notch scenes. The Tweet-style synopsis (Dorian doesn't age but his picture does) simply does not do justice to what turned out to be a very heartfelt and actually spiritual story. At first, Dorian relishes in the fact that his avatar takes the brunt of his dissipation, and a mixture of curiosity and self-indulgence leads him down a path of doing what he wants, when he wants, without consequence. I saw a parallel with addiction; empowering at first and encouraged by enablers such as Lord Henry, but slowly whittling away at our very fiber, here Dorian's picture, until it's too late to undo the damage. I don't know if that's what Wilde had in mind, but that's what came to mind to me.

Another’s Mother Tongue: Any book in the foreign language of your choice.
    French: Short Stories for Beginners - various

Eyes to the skies: A book connected to weather, or with a weather-themed title.
    House of Sand and Fog - Andre Dubus

No Cliff Notes this time: A book that’s required reading in most high schools or universities.
    Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

By its cover: A book you know nothing about, chosen solely by the FRONT cover (no reading the jacket flap, back cover blurb, or reviews).
    Cherry - Nico Walker Done

Better known for . . .: A book by someone who’s more famous for something other than writing.
    Gristle: From factory farms to food safety - Moby and Miyun Park

Howdy, stranger: A book about immigrants or immigration, or with an immigrant main character.
    The Book of Unknown Americans - Cristina Henriquez Done

Loose ends: A book you started last year and haven’t yet finished.
    The Gilded Age - Mark Twain and Dudley Warner

Tag team: A book by more than one author.
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green and David Levithan

Ripped from the headlines: A true crime book.
    Catch and Kill - Ronan Farrow Done

Down on the farm: A book featuring farmers, agriculture, or taking place in an agrarian setting.
    The Unsettling of America: Culture and Agriculture - Wendell Berry

What your great-grandparents read: A book written more than 75 years before you were born.
    A Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde Done

No hablo: A book originally written in another language (i.e., a translation).
    Drive Your Plows over the Bones of the Dead - Olga Tokarczuk
    Last edited by Chris P; 03-27-2020 at 02:19 AM.
    The 2020 Reading Challenge is underway. Click for more information and to join in the fun.