AW is an Amazon Affiliate and an Amazon UK affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a
voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The 2020 AW Reading Challenge! Perfectly visionary.

Threaded View

practical experience, FTW
    I finished Cibola Burn. As always, James Corey delivered the goods. I love this series and this book didn't make me love it any less. The excitement in every chapter's ending makes you want to read to the next to see what happens. Most of the time, I get through these books really quickly even though they are all at least 500 pages because I can't stop reading it.

I also finished 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. If you are a fan of alternate universes, Murakami is the author for you. If you are a fan of the bizarre and the strange, you'll probably like this book. It's almost 1400 pages and every chapter to the end gets even stranger than the last.

Aomame takes a taxi to a job, but the taxi gets stuck on the expressway and she's going to be late. Upon the advice of the taxi driver, she takes an underground tunnel that leads her to her destination. She does the job she was required to do(she is an assassin), but then starts noticing subtle changes in the world. The police carry automatic handguns instead of revolvers and she has no recollection of major news stories, among other things. Tengo is a math teacher and a writer. Fuka-Eri is a high school student who is dyslexic. Sakigake is religious cult and 1Q84 is a parallel universe. This will take you on twists and turns throughout the lives of Aomame, Tengo and Fuka-Eri. There are a few other characters obviously, but these three are the major players. There were times where I wondered why this book needed to be so long, but at the same time, I understood why it needed to be so long. It definitely gives you the full spectrum and leaves you hanging until the very end.

1. Out of this world: Cibola Burn by James Corey - DONE

2. Tag team: Still Life with Crows by Preston and Child - DONE

3. Ripped from the headlines: The Shoemaker: The Anatomy of a Psychotic by Flora Rheta Schreiber - DONE

4. No hablo: IQ 84 by Haruki Murakami - DONE

5. Succinct: Pachinko by Min Jin Lee - DONE

6. Loose ends: The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai - DONE

7. Face Your Fears: Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

8. I Spy: The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John Le Carre - DONE

9. No Cliff Notes this Time: Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Sallinger - DONE

10. Better Known For...Bossypants by Tina Fey - DONE

11. Mail Call: House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski

12. Old World Charm: The Art of Theft by Sherry Thomas - DONE
    Last edited by Verboten; 05-23-2020 at 04:51 PM.