January 2020 Challenge - Write Every Day!

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Attempt #3!

This is a thread open to anyone who wants to start, maintain, or reinforce a writing habit. (It can also be about revision, editing, research, or even just the everyday stuff you need to keep up with to support your writing.)

The idea is that repeating something daily will build a habit that becomes stronger over time.

It's entirely up to you how much and in what way you participate. Post your goals if you like, or just check in when you can!

Here are some tips:

• Set achievable goals – I can't stress enough how important this is. To build a habit, doing something is more important than quantity or quality.
  • Try to do a little every day – even if it's just writing a sentence or two. It reinforces the habit of sitting down to write and makes it easier to get keep it up in the long run.
  • Be adaptive – You'll always be facing new challenges, and what works for someone else doesn't always work for you. What worked for you last week might not work this week. Try different types of goals, different times of the day, and different tricks to reward or motivate yourself. A good habit is what works for you.
  • Be patient – It takes a long time to build a strong habit, and progress happens in tiny increments; you won't always notice it day by day, or even week by week.
  • Failure is a part of the process – Failure is a natural part of improving your skills because it lets you figure out what went wrong so you can do better in the future. When you fail to hit your target, your job is figuring out why it happened. That way, you can find ways to get around your roadblocks (and don't be scared of lowering the bar).

Remember: if you share your experiences in the thread, others might be able to help out with tips, tricks, and support! And it's okay to just take a break for a day or two, or have scheduled days off. Find what works for you.

Good luck, and see you when you get here! :D

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've missed only a couple days, but with the New Year and my birthday (today!) I intend to maintain a strict regimen of writing every day. Here's to a brand new year! :D

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
I've been at it every day. I'm slowly weaning myself off flash and working my way back over to one of the books. I should be writing an actual story by the end of the month. Maybe. :tongue

Daniel - Happy Birthday! :partyguy::Cake: Mine is tomorrow. You share a birthday with Richard Nixon. Both of us missed sharing a birthday with Elvis (his was yesterday).

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I missed one day because I was *very* sick.

So good to be back on line!

Hello Everybody!!

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
YaY for being back online! Hello, Everybody!

Days December 29, 2019 - January 9, 2020

Word Count - 4441

Growing Up Buford Blog - Finished first draft of When I am Weak Then Am I Strong

Research -

• The benefits of neutering your pet.
  • Heartworms
  • The meaning of Phil Colin's In the Air Tonight: a man going through a divorce.
  • The Moonwalk

OMGosh! What a night! Prince Harry and his military uniform came to some kind of get-to at the house on Garner Street and snubbed me, which made me mad as a hornet--I mean seething. Then Michael Myers and his butcher knife dropped by, and I woke up screaming. And then, I had a brainstorm about my next article. Just another night in Bulldog Town.

Last edited:

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Well I am surprised to see this back, I was missing the daily updates.

Cindy - ooh you've been busy!

I've spent my time working on the outlines for "Logic Bomb" (a High School drama with cheerleading) and "Fire Witch" (Witchcraft in the French Revolution). Also did a ton of research for the latter.

A couple of days ago I started a new project "Fishy Tail" which is about a mermaid (a vengeful one, not a little one). Research for that: Dolphin and fish swimming speeds. Black Canary's cry.

It looks like I'm heading for young adult territory right now.

Anyway... keep swimming...

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 10
Nothing super exciting to report for the forum downtime, but I've kept digging through my novel notes and my notes for a blog post/essay on storytelling. I endeavour to pick up the pace. That's all for now.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 10

Word Count - 790

Growing Up Buford Blog - Completed the second draft of When I am Weak Then Am I Strong

Research

• Contacted museum curator about a photo of the blizzard of 82, which was a bust, so I used one from 83 and noted the time difference
  • The model of car a friend drove in the early 80s: a Chevy Chevette. I like me some details
  • Lang words for pot
  • Tasers

Day 11

Word Count - 413

Growing Up Buford Blog - Posted and shared article, When I am Weak Then Am I Strong to rave reviews.

Revisions: the third and fourth drafts of the article before posting.

Keithy - You projects sound really interesting!

Last edited: