• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

seeking beta for adult, character-driven sci fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
I'm seeking a reader for a science fiction manuscript of 90k words. The ideal reader would be philosophically minded and interested in relational and social issues that come up after coming of age.

Genre: Adult sci fi, literary or character-driven

Feedback: Mostly seeking input on the pacing of character development and integration of philosophical/worldbuilding elements. Input on signposting character arcs would also be welcome.

Publishing. I'm querying agents for traditional publishing. I have a full manuscript request due to the agent in mid-January, so attention to the first 100 pages would be welcomed from readers who don't have space to take on a full manuscript.

Credentials. Readers don't need to have published novels, but I do want readers who have the qualities mentioned in the opening line.

Last edited:

gtempel

Registered
Reaction score
I will be honest - I have never beta-read before but I am more than willing to get into it.

I also warn you that I am not a native English speaker so some things that seem wonky to me might just be things i do not understand because of a different geographical background or a different understanding of the language.

If neither of these statements turned you of I would be happy to beat-read for you. I will focus on characters, their relations and worldbuilding/philosophy as these are the elements I am most interested in and feel most comfortable with.

guppie1813

Registered
Reaction score
I have also never Beta-read but would love to. I could read the whole manuscript, my job and lifestyle allow for lots of reading time! My background:DWF, almost 50, professional degree, raising three teens/young adults (so very familiar with coming of age since I just had to live through it THREE TIMES in the last 4 years!!). My job involves dealing with many adolescents and young adults that are dealing with (sometimes small sometimes life changing) crisis situations. I had an interest in philosophy in college, and as an adult have read many books delving into spirituality. Don't know how the logistics of reading works, but feel free to message me for more back ground if you are interested.

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I have beta read before, plenty of times, and I'm very interested in reading some serious sci fi. I'll send you a pm.

RFHunter

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to be one of the newbies to have never beta-read before but that's the woe of having an interesting book concept.
PM me if you're still looking for people.

I'm in my 20s, have a degree in psychology & STEM, and read/watch lots of sci-fi.

Cheers

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to all respondents! I think I'm covered for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.