What would trackmarks look like after a death?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfriede

Registered
Reaction score
So I have a homeless character who is a heavy IV-user. They overdose and either die from that OD, or general exposure to the freezing winds and sleet. Their body is found about three days later. I've described the trackmarks as being infected and bruised. I was wondering what else they would look like? Would frostbite have done anything to those wounds? Thank you!

Edit for some more info: Before she dies, this addict character is shown to be very frail as a result of her long battle with addiction. Missing teeth, hollow cheeks, etc. She doesn't eat much and doesn't exercise save walking from place to place about town for a fix or out of boredom. She's 24 years old at time of death.

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Probably when the body is recovered it would be frozen and maybe covered with frost. This could initially cover up tracks and bruising. Once the body thaws, the tracks would show up differently depending upon where on the body they are in relation to lividity. Assuming they are above the pooling of blood, you'd still see punctures in the skin and some pooled blood in the bruising. Pus from an infection would remain. Other than paler, not much different than when the person was alive.

Freezing would cause frost damage, but can be easily separated by any competent medical examiner.

Jim Clark-Dawe

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Three days isn't long, especially in the cold. Infections don't heal upon death, so any discharges or wounds still show, they just tend to grow gray with the skin. As a heavy user, tracks would show up and signs would be noticeable at autopsy anyway. It's really hard to be a heavy user and not have a criminal and medical history showing that, which would be a big indication of what to look at as cause of death.

Jeff

Elfriede

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for both of your responses!

Something I should've added in earlier is that there is no medical examiner. The woman is found by her 22-year-old best friend and fellow homeless woman, the Main Character of the novel. The MC knew she was an addict, but never allowed herself to face the reality of just how deep into addiction the woman was. That's where she sees the trackmarks on her arm and the back of her hands (which, previously, were covered by longsleeve shirts and fingerless gloves). My idea for the death is that she was so ostracised by the rest of the world that nobody cared how or when she died. Which is why there isn't any forensics investigator under the bridge where she died.

So there's no autopsy scene, but this has been helpful to show what the body looks like to the laywoman! Thank you.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what time period and location, but in most states, if not all, a body found under a bridge would require an autopsy. Unless the body disappears, it would be checked. Among other things, there is criminal liability for suppliers of illegal drugs for people who die of overdoses.

Basically, in most states, a body without a medically known cause of death is given an autopsy. A death at home with a terminal diagnosis or a logical medical diagnosis are the exceptions to the rule.

Jim Clark-Dawe

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Image of tracks and a rash.

More tracks.

Add blackened skin for frostbite perimortem, pale greenish for decomposing, also blackened from decomposing, pale grayish typical, lividity on the side the person is laying on, and you might see frost on a cadaver laying out a couple days in freezing temperatures.

Postmortem Changes Warning, pics get worse as you scroll down.

Last edited:

Elfriede

Registered
Reaction score
Firstly, those pictures are a (grim) godsend! Thank you!

I don't know what time period and location, but in most states, if not all, a body found under a bridge would require an autopsy. Unless the body disappears, it would be checked. Among other things, there is criminal liability for suppliers of illegal drugs for people who die of overdoses.

Basically, in most states, a body without a medically known cause of death is given an autopsy. A death at home with a terminal diagnosis or a logical medical diagnosis are the exceptions to the rule.

Jim Clark-Dawe

Also! This story takes place in England, and whilst I'm sure the body once it's discovered will get an autopsy, that scene isn't involved here. The idea with her character is that I want her to be a smart, empathetic woman who's left to die and forgotten about because of her addiction. Almost all of the characters are homeless in this story and none of them would even know what to do in an autopsy. But I do appreciate that input and, given that most of my stories deal in some form of addiction to crippling drugs, I will be using this info in the future!

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
You introduce a very imprecise factor here of her suffering frostbite, I'm presuming after death. There's a lot of difference between 35 degrees, 32 degrees and 29 degrees in how a body reacts. And assuming normal weather, you're talking a range from around 5 AM to 4 PM as the temperature rises and falls. At least under a bridge we don't have to worry about the sun warming the body. We might have morning frost to worry about, depending upon the moisture in the air.

The body will cool once the heart stops beating. However, there will be some heat generated by the continued digestion for a bit after death. But in a few hours, the body will be at the temperature of the air and the surface on which the body is lying.

In your case, this means that the body will be somewhere close to or below the freezing point. This will slow down the decomposition process to a virtual halt. And as WeaselFire points out, three days isn't much. Think about how little a pound of hamburg left in the refrigerator will change. If you throw the hamburg in the freezer, there will be essentially no change.

Your body will be extremely pale, to a greyish color, with the lower side showing marked lividity. Very like the first picture and not like any of the other pictures in the postmortem changes link. Other than the color, there would be no obvious decomposition at those sorts of temperatures. The frostbite damage would probably remain frozen and not have had a significant thaw cycle to cause the damage leading to blackened skin.

Damage shortly before death remains almost the same in this sort of scenario. Don't worry about the grimness. It won't exist. Now if you were talking about 90 degree temperature, high humidity and sitting in the sun for three days!!!

By the way, a lot of homeless have seen the dead. There's a reluctance to call the police in that community and reporting dead bodies is not high on their list of important activities.

Jim Clark-Dawe

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It might be wise to craft a scene in which the homeless POV character discovers the body, sees the track marks, assumes it to be an overdose, and departs the immediate area. That behavior pattern is consistent with what usually really happens (involving the homeless). You can use subsequent scenes to describe dialogue between other (homeless?) characters in which the expository facts you feel need to be divulged regarding the decedent are brought to the readers' attention. This avoids getting into any forensic details that the POV character would not be privy to, beyond any previously described observation in the first scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.