Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Bigotry

hjrey

Registered
Reaction score
Great statement from Radcliffe. It's really sad to see Rowling spreading misinformation and dismissing the validity of a minority group like this. It's painful in the context of knowing how much her books mean to so many of us and what an amazing message those books have.

I really will never understand why some people feel threatened by minority groups. Whether it's trans people, POC or immigrants, the fear that by giving these people basic rights somehow takes away from your rights is just madness to me. As a cis woman I don't feel threatened by a trans woman being a woman and I feel so much disappointment that Rowling with her platform can be pretending as though this is a woman's rights issue. Especially as she uses her platform to speak out against racism and xenophobia. She can see the injustice done to those communities, but she can't see what she's doing to the trans community? Hopefully the more and more people she knows, like Radcliffe, coming forward like this will eventually lead to positive change.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
As a cis woman I don't feel threatened by a trans woman being a woman and I feel so much disappointment that Rowling with her platform can be pretending as though this is a woman's rights issue. Especially as she uses her platform to speak out against racism and xenophobia. She can see the injustice done to those communities, but she can't see what she's doing to the trans community? Hopefully the more and more people she knows, like Radcliffe, coming forward like this will eventually lead to positive change.

I don't understand it either. Sometimes when people lash out, it's because they feel threatened in some way. I suppose one could argue that resources and support for women in general are in short supply in the US and UK (and pretty much everywhere), so there could be an "economics of scarcity" going on. Maybe some feminists feel like trans women are line jumping by demanding attention and care that is still denied women in general. Or maybe they feel issues that are central and important to cisgender women--access to contraception, and job/pay discrimination because of pregnancy etc.--are not issues cisgender women have to deal with at all, so they aren't "real" women? That's stupid, though, because if it were true infertile cisgender women, and cisgender women who are older, wouldn't be considered "real" women with legitimate feminist concerns either.

That kind of thinking should be exposed for what it is, though--bowing to a divide and conquer fallacy. Feminists have been arguing for ages that women shouldn't be defined by our wombs and reproductive status. So now some of us want to do just that to transgender women?

There's also the bafflement many women feel (I'll admit to this) over why anyone would choose to set aside male privilege and embrace an identity that comes with so much baggage--from being expected to wear uncomfortable shoes and to wear hampering clothes that put our bodies on display (and which rarely have adequate pockets), to the pervasive risk of sexual assault (a very real issue for transgender women, who are raped and murdered even more frequently than cisgender women), to being constantly judged primarily on our appearance/sex appeal, to hiring discrimination in many professions and being paid less for the same work and experience/education. But the fact that transgender women are happier living in the female social role, in spite of all its baggage and discrimination, strongly suggests to me that transgender women are real women.

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful heartfelt open letter to JK Rowling from a trans Harry Potter fan.

Thank you for posting that.

It would be lovely if JK Rowling could be open to such heartfelt missives, and learn from it. I really don't understand why anyone, let alone a feminist, feels threatened by trans people?

RC turtle

Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out some of these questions myself, and the only one that really strikes me as possibly relevant is the over 4000 percent increase in teen girls identifying as trans.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you for posting that.

It would be lovely if JK Rowling could be open to such heartfelt missives, and learn from it. I really don't understand why anyone, let alone a feminist, feels threatened by trans people?

I can't imagine how someone could read that piece and not be moved by it, especially when Rowling appears to care about some marginalized people, even if she's not always very clever or well-researched about how she portrays them in her books.

As for why some feminists are so threatened by transgender women, well, gender identity and expression are touchy subjects for feminists, wherever they fall on the spectrum of thinking of gender as a social construct versus thinking it is an expression of innate biological differences between male and female.

I am just hypothesizing, thought, and I certainly am not excusing the behavior of TERFS, simply because the existence of transgender people undermines some of the TERF's arguments/philosophies about gender. We have an obligation, imo, to accept truths that are inconvenient to our personal philosophies, especially when it's clear that denying transgender people the right to live as their authentic selves causes them so much pain.

I kind of wonder whether Rowling's position is even particularly thought out, or if she's simply going with a knee jerk response to an argument that sounds superficially plausible to her. I am sorry to say most general anatomy and physiology textbooks, along with general biology textbooks, teach the very simplistic XX is female, XY is male and hormones create all those secondary sexual traits we see, including behavioral differences.

People can be remarkably pedantic about things they learned back in an introductory high school or college course, whether it be writing, history, or biology, and she's already shown in another context that she's not big on doing her homework once she gets an idea in her head.

http://nativesinamerica.com/2016/07/dear-jk-rowling-were-still-here/

Morning Rainbow

Destroyer of Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.almunson.com
People can be remarkably pedantic about things they learned back in an introductory high school or college course, whether it be writing, history, or biology, and she's already shown in another context that she's not big on doing her homework once she gets an idea in her head.

http://nativesinamerica.com/2016/07/...re-still-here/
Everything mentioned in that article is exactly why I hopped off the JK Rowling bandwagon years ago. She may not have realized it when she wrote it, but a lot of things in her "History of Magic" reeked of white supremacy. And I don't recall her ever apologizing for it even after many Native readers and writers pointed it out to her.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out some of these questions myself, and the only one that really strikes me as possibly relevant is the over 4000 percent increase in teen girls identifying as trans.

I think you mean teen boys.

RC turtle

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I do keep getting confused on the terminology. A person who identified (or at least was identified) as a girl up until their teenage years?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I do keep getting confused on the terminology. A person who identified (or at least was identified) as a girl up until their teenage years?

We don't know how they identified previously, of course. Also, why would more people getting help becoming their own true selves be a problem anyway? You know left-handedness had a larger percentage increase after we stopped making people pretend they were right-handed.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
(Can't quote; on mobile.)

I'm acquainted with a number of trans teens. This isn't something that's happening to them on a whim, or because Tumblr, or whatever nonsense other people want to put on them. These are kids who, if they haven't always known specifically, have always known something's up and have finally found the vocabulary to express it. Some are fighting their families for acceptance (although I've been pleased and relieved by how many of them do have home support and encouragement), some aren't out yet at all - but these are thoughtful kids who are fully aware of what's happening to them. If the internet has changed anything, it's given them a vocabulary, and a peer support system they're often lacking in real life.

TL;DR: Teens feeling more able to come out as trans is a good thing.

On a personal note: I've felt distinctly female (vs. feminine, which is a very different thing) my whole life. Couldn't tell you why, but I can't change it. Why should I doubt someone who feels the same, no matter what sort of body they have?

Goshawk31

Registered
Reaction score
Not unexpected but darn it! Thank god for today's Supreme Court ruling.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

I ran across a very extensive article exploring all the reasons for this. It's interesting that F-M transitions are more often initiated during the teen years, while M-F are more likely to happen later in life. Lots of possible explanations, but each on is probably insufficient on its own. Note there are some confusing wordings in the article, as they use the term "female" in a biological or gender-assigned-at birth sense sometimes and not other times.

https://www.genderhq.org/increase-trans-females-nonbinary-dysphoria

Note that some of the goals of this organization are rather controversial, as one is to prevent harm from unnecessary medical treatments in teens. The spike in a desire for F-M transitions during puberty doesn't necessarily mean that many of these cases of gender dysphoria are not genuine. The data on the gender discrepancy are of interest here, though I don't agree that most kids who want to transition are making a mistake and should necessarily wait for a few years! The pain from going through puberty as the wrong gender also can cause great harm.

I agree that it is a good thing that some teens, at least, feel more empowered to claim their identities, though different social stigmas and parental acceptance of transition by children they thought of as "butch" girls versus transition of children they thought of as "effeminate" boys are definite causes for concern (to sum up, one point raised by the above article is that parents are much more likely to support a teen who wants to undergo a F-M transition than a teen who wants to undergo a M-F transition).

One thing not mentioned in the article re the differential support by parents: maybe it's because our culture still values sons more than daughters, so the thought of "losing" a son (or the perception of a child as a son) is harder for many parents than losing one's perception that one's child is a daughter? It's certainly a cliche, at least, that fathers want effeminate "sons" to "man up" more than mothers want their emasculate "daughters" to "woman up." The fact that there's not really a female equivalent for the term "man up" is illustrative here. In any case, anecdotally, at least, I've noticed that while men tend to want boys and women tend to want girls, men seem to still prefer sons more strongly than women prefer daughters.

This wouldn't explain why more teens want to transition nowadays. When I was young, though, the concept of undergoing a gender transition really wasn't on the table at all, so teens who felt wrong in their bodies had to hide this, suck it up, or to simply be "butch" or "effeminate" and deal with the social consequences. "Sex change" operations were something cisgender kids mostly whispered and giggled about, and it was something most of us assumed were undergone by adult men who liked to wear women's clothes.

Since teens need their parents' approval for medical treatments, in most cases, unless they become an emancipated minor or a ward of the state (and the state supports transition in minors), it might partially explain the discrepancy.

It's wonderful news, at least, that the SCOTUS ruled that civil rights gender/sex protections must be extended to LGBTQ people. Gorsuch was a surprise there. Wish we could get a broad ruling that medical and insurance discrimination (and coverage for all gender-reassignment therapies and treatment) is also illegal based on gender identity, orientation, and biological sex, but that seems like a vain hope right now.

There is a local clinic in my city, which helps young people transition and which provides meds for transgender individuals. I send them money when I have some to donate. These services will need our support more than ever (though CA, at least, forbids insurance companies from discriminating--still, people fall through the cracks with insurance).

Last edited: