Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Bigotry

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
JK Rowling in row over court ruling on transgender issues
Having not tweeted since November, JK Rowling broke her Twitter silence to speak out in support of a researcher who lost an employment tribunal case for using “offensive and exclusionary” language on Twitter.

Rowling tweeted about Maya Forstater, who lost her job at an international thinktank after a series of tweets, including one in which she said: “Men cannot change into women.”

Rowling, who has 14.6 million followers, said in the tweet: “Dress however you please (…) But force women out of their jobs for stating that sex is real?” She referenced the case using the hashtag #IStandWithMaya.
Sad, expected. It's previously been kind of general knowledge, I think, that JKR doesn't exactly have progressive ideas about transgender people. But this is the first time, (again, I think), she's blasted out a tweet with so many TERF shibboleths. Conflating being transgender with cross-dressing, biological essentialism, framing inclusivity of gender diverse people as being somehow anti-female. She's not dumb. She knows that this case was about someone who was anti-trans enough to make her workplace an uncomfortable place for others, and got fired for it. She knows it wasn't just about "stating sex is real", whatever the hell that means. JK Rowling is anti-trans. She's a bigot.

I suppose it doesn't matter. JKR has by any measure lost a lot of cultural cachet in the 2010s, with only a set of increasingly dire adult Harry Potter spinoffs and tweets to her name in recent years. I suppose it doesn't matter that for so many people she was the writer for kids for fifteen years. For marginalised kids, for kids who struggled to read, for kids who needed escapism for whatever reason. She had a huge LGBT+ fanbase. Others will take her place. The royalties will dwindle. The tweets might not, but.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rowling has taken her mask and hood off and let the world know once and for all Harry Potter was written by a Death Eater.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Rowling has taken her mask and hood off and let the world know once and for all Harry Potter was written by a Death Eater.

Or who *became* a Death Eater once she had more money than the Queen....

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've archived all of her work to get it off my nook reader. I'm just completely heartbroken and confused by all of this.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'm one of the naive folks who'd hoped the signs were wrong on this.

I keep thinking about all the kids she's hurting with this attitude, and it really breaks my heart.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
She knows that this case was about someone who was anti-trans enough to make her workplace an uncomfortable place for others, and got fired for it.

By my understanding, it wasn't even that she was fired. She was a contract worker and they declined to renew her contract when it ended because they, a nonprofit, didn't want to be associated with her more than necessary for what she was saying online. And the woman threw a fit over it and took them to court.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
By my understanding, it wasn't even that she was fired. She was a contract worker and they declined to renew her contract when it ended because they, a nonprofit, didn't want to be associated with her more than necessary for what she was saying online. And the woman threw a fit over it and took them to court.

Yes that's what happened. She was not fired, she was a contractor and her contract was not renewed which is completely legal.

JohnLine

Owns a pen.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This one real caught me off guard. I had no idea she was anti-trans. I checked her twitter account maybe five times today, waiting for her to take it back. Trans-women and men are being murdered over fear mongering like this.

I did find quite a bit of inspiration in the shear number gen z people who have condemned this.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score

I keep thinking about all the kids she's hurting with this attitude, and it really breaks my heart.

It breaks mine, too, and it pisses me off.

I don't think it's naivete so much as we haven't had every flavor and nuance of transgender invective shot our way and we didn't recognize it because of her caginess. She's a bigot and she should never have weaseled about it. And to make matters worse, I have my suspicions on why she carefully chose her words in the past. So, yeah, pissed off about that, too, now.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday, the day after Rowling tweeted that, my city put a quotation from her on its JK Rowling Facebook page. It was about taking a walk at night and captioned a picture of our downtown decorated for Christmas. Our mayor is a devout Catholic and we are always clashing with him. He refuses to fly a Pride flag, injects his religion into government business as often as he can (I am quite the thorn in his side), and in general is a bigoted old white guy who would like to codify his religious beliefs. Currently, there's been a bit of a kerfuffle over just how much CHRISTMAS with religious overtones (and no other holiday acknowledged) there is. Nativity scene on public land put up and taken down by city employees, etc. Thanks to a few of us, the city's had to make some changes and members of our LGBTQ+ and allies group (which exists to try to make the city more LGBTQ+ friendly) feels that was intentional (and I would bet I know who in the mayor's office did it).

We could be wrong, but just in case, we're planning a response. I think we're going to start with supportive stickers around town, something a member has seen done elsewhere, and take it from there. Whether it was an intentional slight or not, we're going to try to make something positive of it.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
I liked Buffy the Vampire Slayer better anyway.

If you’re feeling sad about JK Rowling, here’s a heartwarming story about Buffy’s Anthony Stewart-Head going out of his way for a young trans fan

It's happened in 2015 , but this article is updated and left me pretty damn soggy.

There's the heartwarming current story of Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union fully accepting their transgender child, Zion: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dwyane...othing-changes-with-my-love-today-2019-12-19/

"I've watched my son, from day one, become into who she now eventually has come into," Wade said. "For me, nothing changes with my love. Nothing changes with my responsibilities. Only thing I got to do now is get smarter and educate myself more."

Have to say I've been checking Laura Jane Grace's twitter to see her give J.K. Rowling a punk rock throat punch, but no, she's just out living her best life. Maybe the best thing is not to give bigots our attention?

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Aaa god she's at it again. There was that bizarre episode a few weeks ago where she somehow copy-pasted text from a TERF site into a tweet reply to a drawing sent to her by a child fan, before deleting it. But now Rowling's gone full mask off, apparently triggered this time by the phrase 'people who menstruate'. I don't really feel like reiterating the subsequent tweet-screed, because it's all the same disheartening bullshit, but I'm glad everyone is replying by listing all the YA authors who are not raging transphobes.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Ricky Gervais isn't even funny. He's kind of a non-entity off my radar. That JK Rowling holds such views makes me incredibly sad.

Regarding TERFs, I recently read the opinion of some people within the trans community and trans allies that TERF shouldn't be used a term because they are not actually feminists at all. The alternative suggested is: "feminism appropriating radical transphobe". Make what you will of the fact that the acronym for this is FART.

They are not feminists because they exclude trans women. Even though science is showing us that the brains of trans people matches their internal gender - in other words that trans women have brains like cis women, not like cis men. If they refuse to acknowledge the science, they're even more wrong (I could forgive ignorance if people are willing to learn better). I am absolutely sick to death of science deniers.

Also, regardless of brains, if you believe in gender equality, that means all genders. Some people are born intersex - doctors have known this since forever, though it's always been kept hidden and intersex people assigned a gender based on a hurried opinion of a doctor on a newborn baby. Now that scientists are starting to understand how the gender of brains develops, not only does this explain why some people are trans, it's likely that non-binary identities are the result of the brain itself being intersex. There always has been more than two genders. Gender equality means all of them.

Here's a link to some science because the belief that being trans is a lifestyle choice is way too prevalent so the more this information is put out there, the better.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...muR8vM8CjhYeOhmPm573SNtESPnZnWEKgOy-h-r4aDm_4

The article includes genetics as well as information about the development of the brain, and how they are linked.

and some key quotes:

Date: February 5, 2020
Source: Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University
Summary: Some of the first biological evidence of the incongruence transgender individuals experience, because their brain indicates they are one sex and their body another, may have been found in estrogen receptor pathways in the brain of 30 transgender individuals.
------
------
Basically -- and perhaps counterintuitively -- these genes are primarily involved in estrogen's critical sprinkling of the brain right before or after birth, which is essential to masculinization of the brain.

Variants investigators identified may mean that in natal males (people whose birth sex is male) this critical estrogen exposure doesn't happen or the pathway is altered so the brain does not get masculinized. In natal females, it may mean that estrogen exposure happens when it normally wouldn't, leading to masculinization.

Both could result in an incongruence between a person's internal gender and their external sex. The negative emotional experience associated with this incongruence is called gender dysphoria.

"They are experiencing dysphoria because the gender they feel on the inside does not match their external sex," Theisen says. "Once someone has a male or female brain, they have it and you are not going to change it. The goal of treatments like hormone therapy and surgery is to help their body more closely match where their brain already is."

"It doesn't matter which sex organs you have, it's whether estrogen, or androgen, which is converted to estrogen in the brain, masculinizes the brain during this critical period," says Dr. Lawrence C. Layman, chief of the MCG Section of Reproductive Endocrinology, Infertility and Genetics in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. "We have found variants in genes that are important in some of these different areas of the brain."

And another thing, even if there wasn't the science and people just wanted to be trans - why the hell not just let people live their lives the way that's right for them!

But there is the science. Lots of people don't know it. Other people actively deny it. That just makes it worse.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
KPop fans are not content with just taking down white supremacists, TERFS are now on their list. They've bombed the JKR support thread. **two thumbs way up**

I admit I went to that hashtag just to see if they had hit it. It was wonderful :D

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

Me too, and her behavior in recent years has both sickened and saddened me. I know it's always been cool to bash her work, to say it was overrated, but I enjoyed it, and now there's just this bad taste in my mouth.

And yes, what's especially sad is that her books reached so many kids and turned many on to reading, including some who were marginalized in their own lives. This is a slap in their faces.

I don't understand why some women, who have dealt with gender discrimination all their lives, have turned so viciously on fellow women (and on men too) who are suffering.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me too, and her behavior in recent years has both sickened and saddened me. I know it's always been cool to bash her work, to say it was overrated, but I enjoyed it, and now there's just this bad taste in my mouth.

And yes, what's especially sad is that her books reached so many kids and turned many on to reading, including some who were marginalized in their own lives. This is a slap in their faces.

I don't understand why some women, who have dealt with gender discrimination all their lives, have turned so viciously on fellow women (and on men too) who are suffering.

Add me to that list.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score

They are vicious. I describe TERFs as kind of gleefully vicious. It's grotesque, but I see it in all of them.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday, the day after Rowling tweeted that, my city put a quotation from her on its JK Rowling Facebook page.
Why, pray tell, does your city have a JR Rowling Facebook page? Does city hall have nothing better to do with it's bandwidth? (Not because of the transphobia, just because, 'why fiction writer'?

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
[h=1]Daniel Radcliffe Responds to J.K. Rowling’s Tweets on Gender Identity[/h]
I realize that certain press outlets will probably want to paint this as in-fighting between J.K. Rowling and myself, but that is really not what this is about, nor is it what’s important right now. While Jo is unquestionably responsible for the course my life has taken, as someone who has been honored to work with and continues to contribute to The Trevor Project for the last decade, and just as a human being, I feel compelled to say something at this moment.
Transgender women are women. Any statement to the contrary erases the identity and dignity of transgender people and goes against all advice given by professional health care associations who have far more expertise on this subject matter than either Jo or I. According to The Trevor Project, 78% of transgender and nonbinary youth reported being the subject of discrimination due to their gender identity. It’s clear that we need to do more to support transgender and nonbinary people, not invalidate their identities, and not cause further harm.