Guten Abend!

kowal

Registered
Reaction score
Hello y'all!
Since I'm not yet allowed to open a new thread, not even to say hello it seems, I'm writing this ahead already. Mostly because I don't have much time to write at all, being very occupied by two little delights that are my children.
Right now, they're having their nap. And since I just registered, I'd like to make use of the momentum and introduce myself.
I'm a german male of 28 years and found this forum with the help of good ol' Google. I was and am in search of support for my writing, which I do in english. Having written a few pages just for the fun of it, I got a bit insecure about my writings correctness. Being a native german speaker, I don't really have the intrinsic feeling for english, clearly. Most of it came to me through school and later on by the consumption of english texts, lyrics and TV serials.
Now you might ask, 'kowal, why write in english then?'. My profane answer would be: I don't really know. Maybe, because most of the media I'm in contact with is in english. I just had the feeling I had to do it this way. Writing in german would be much easier, for sure. But somehow, I don't like the german words. Or at least, most english words seem to be more adequate, fitting.
And for now, that is just my opinion. Growing skeptical of this opinion, I'm interested in the communitys opinion about the sensibleness of my task in general. I'd like to know if it makes sense to continue or how to improve my skills regarding the usage of the english language for my writing.
As I registered today, I was asked why I did start writing. I already explained that it is, right now, just for the fun of it. The daily routine with my twins allows me roughly 3 to 4 hours of free time. I used to clean and fix things in the house, to watch TV or prepare for the return of the children. But recently, there isn't much to fix anymore, the sweet birds grew to be more clean and tidy, and TV has become plainly dull. So I started to write. And I'd like to continue. Right now, I don't have much to give, but I will gladly submit my opinions and wisdom.

Now you know a bit about your newest member, dear community. I'm looking forward to your charming replies and criticism. :)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Guten Morgen!

Ja wohl, ist gut auf English zum schreiben. Aber, auf Deutsch ist auch gut, ja?

^^OK. I have no idea if I got that right. It was from memory. :)

Welcome! Always good to meet a fellow parent. I'd say you should write in English if you like, and that there will probably be a learning curve one way or another, so if you find the language to be too difficult to wrestle with as you wrestle with the other things, switch back to German.

But have fun whatever language you choose. :)

Froeschli

Registered
Reaction score
Hallo :)

Similar story here. I'm half German, grew up in Switzerland, but I've always felt I could express myself better, or rather, more freely in English. For me it's the cultural connotations. German was always for formal writing. English is fun. But then, I've been living in Canada for 17 years now. Practically half my life. So the language is probably ly as "set" as it is going to be...
Just keep reading, watching movies and listening to books as much as you can. Take note of expressions you like. Look up things that confuse you. Change genres and authors - it is amazing how the language differs from author to author.

Viel Spaß :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

gtempel

Registered
Reaction score
Moin or Servus depending on the region you live in.

As a fellow newbie and a fellow German guy a nice hello from me as well. I can totally understand your sentiment about wanting to write in English as it is the same for me. English just feels .. better, less stilted and somehow more expressive (at least most of the time - German can be quite fun and colourful as well). As someone who once dabbled in teaching I can only tell you that you improve your skills by practice - tons of practice. The Brandon Sanderson lectures on creative writing also help. So yeah. Have fun here. Have fun writing. And have fun with your twins - having them sounds like an adventure.

kowal

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much, all of you!
Patty: almost correct :D I love it when people not used to german try it nontheless. Makes me wonder how I sound using english :d Which reminds me: if I make a really savage mistake, please correct me... like, if I'd use false grammar or such.
Fröschli (If I may use the umlaut): I'm at it right now, even taking some notes of expressions etc :) Having reached your highest level of potential (possibly)... what do others, native speakers, think of your english (in particular when reading what you wrote)? Does the dütsch shine through in speech or writing?
Regdog: I'll look through these, thank you :)
gtempel: Moin it is then ;d I try to 'study' whenever I've got the time. And yes, an adventure it is.. Problem is, between herding and doing the shores, I have to decide to either learn or relax. That's also why it'll take some time for me to even reply here. How much did you write till now? I would like to read it, if you don't mind.
And since the kids return in less than 3 minutes, I say farewell for now! Have a nice day :)

Froeschli

Registered
Reaction score
My hubby says the German shows in my way of thinking and explaining things. I don't think that will ever go away.
Not in the language itself, though I still have a bit of an accent. Fluent enough to be asked if I'm Scottish (guess they don't know what a true Scot sounds like ;) )
I've not written much fiction, which is something i'd like to work on.

ETA, just commited a "germanism" - turns out the proverbial "Schuss in den Ofen" does not exist in English. "shot in the foot" was suggested as a relatively close expression - i don't exactly agree, but haven't come up with anything closer... (maybe a dud, failure to launch, not happy with those either - one is never done learning it seems ;) )

literally translated it means "shot in the oven" - the expression usually describes a futile attempt at something.

Last edited:

kowal

Registered
Reaction score
That's in fact very interesting ôô Did he describe whats different about the 'german way of thinking and explaining'?
But you did write something yet? How much is not much? :D

On the Ofen subject: dict suggested '(to go down like) a lead balloon'. Not that it comes close to anything oven or shooting related, but I guess that'll be the case with most idioms.

Froeschli

Registered
Reaction score
That's in fact very interesting ôô Did he describe whats different about the 'german way of thinking and explaining'?
But you did write something yet? How much is not much? :D

On the Ofen subject: dict suggested '(to go down like) a lead balloon'. Not that it comes close to anything oven or shooting related, but I guess that'll be the case with most idioms.
You know, I actually asked him. Apart from "it's difficult to explain" I didn't get much out of him. He recommends you spend a summer in Berlin and learn for yourself ;)

"Not much" means a few half pages of scenes I had in my head but never developed into stories. Scrapbook like, only, I don't usually bother saving these as they're not going anywhere, yet I keep looking for ways to string them together in a way that makes sense. That is pretty much what prompted me to look more seriously into writing actual stories. First point of order is coming up with a plot, not just a random collection of 20 second action snippets.

The led balloon analogy is pretty accurate. I remember I chose the shot in the oven because I was talking about aim right before. Ah well. I'll the right expression will occur to me when I quit trying to remember what it ought to be...