• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Novel first draft becomes a novella instead

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
Im working on a futurism concept aiming to be 270 pages. Not heavy futurism.
The more I write the first draft the more it looks like a novella will take shape first. Who has written that way but ended up with their novel?

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me, every time. Trust the process- it sorts itself out :)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I bet there's a few folk whose novel ended up as a novella, too.

Mine's not too far off that happening. I'm currently at 50,000 but.... The more I tighten it the more I wonder if that one (or is it two/three) extra cut(s) might be needed to streamline the action. :snoopy:

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Well, I set out to write a novella once and ended up with a novel...

[So, I had just finished a lengthy ms and wanted to do something shorter and fun, so I wrote a long novella of about 50k words, and my intention was to write another, companion novella with a sort of mirror-version of the first novella's plot. But that companion novella got more and more involved until it was over 90k words.]

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
The first draft of my WIP was 50K, and the third (and latest) draft was 100K. Not unusual for me to write a skeletal first draft and flesh it out in the rewrites.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
My first draft was 49k and now it's at 67k. (it's YA) Don't worry. It's more common than you think. By the time I'm done with this edit I'm hoping for 70k.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Most of the bulk can come from adding immersive shows which are longer than tells, or possibly adding subplots to make the story more complex.

Reading Mistborn again, and really appreciating how we get three interwoven storylines for Kelsier: His effort to overthrow the Lord Ruler, his relational mentoring of Vin, and his angst and backstory over his dead wife, Mare. He has these different sort of narrative states he exists within. He feels real, as a result, and that's just one character. Vin is the other viewpoint and she's got multiple things going on as well. Sazed is not a viewpoint character at all but is fully fleshed out. The named cast is probably close to thirty at least, when all is said and done.

I can easily imagine the first draft of a fat novel like this being a third the length.

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
I dont feel as bad now. :p I have images, sequenses, scenes, emotions... yadayada I want to write into chapters. Itll grow as I develop it.

Juggernaut

Registered
Reaction score
Im working on a futurism concept aiming to be 270 pages. Not heavy futurism.
The more I write the first draft the more it looks like a novella will take shape first. Who has written that way but ended up with their novel?

I started with my story as 30 pages. Didn't know what i was dealing with.

Then I started "showing" instead of "telling" and somehow ended up with 460 pages! I have since cut it back to about 350.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
It is better to have a finished something, than a never ending one.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Get your first draft done, then worry about word count. IMO at the first draft stage, the story is still pretty plastic.

Maybe this tale is indeed a novella, rather than a novel, but I would then concentrate on making it the best novella you can.