Non Fiction Submission Question

Mel Born

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
Hi everyone,

I've been working on a piece that links my two very different career paths with a view of submitting it to a website for publishing. It is almost complete, pending a few tweaks here and there and a proof read.

1. I've tailored it to read for the new year - is it too late to send to the site before Christmas close down, or should I just hold off until early Jan?
2. I don't know if they pay contributors - should I just ask up front? How could I find out? If so what range would you expect for 1400 words?
3. How should I kick-off the conversation - just drop them an email with an outline? Send the whole thing, or an excerpt?
4. Anything else I should know?

This is my first non-fiction piece so I'm a little lost. Thanks for any advice.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I’m not expert in this area, and I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong — but in my experience, most publications (web or otherwise) that accept unsolicited submissions have guidelines somewhere on the site or in the publication. Look for a link marked “submit” or “contribute” or something like that. They will tell you what they want, and how they want you to submit it, and whether they pay, and what information the cover letter should contain. If you can’t find that information on the site, then the site probably does not accept unsolicited submissions.

In that case, you really need to know someone on the editorial staff at the site, or at least have a connection to someone, so that you can contact that person directly with a pitch.

:e2coffee:

Last edited:

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been working on a piece that links my two very different career paths with a view of submitting it to a website for publishing. It is almost complete, pending a few tweaks here and there and a proof read.

1. I've tailored it to read for the new year - is it too late to send to the site before Christmas close down, or should I just hold off until early Jan?
2. I don't know if they pay contributors - should I just ask up front? How could I find out? If so what range would you expect for 1400 words?
3. How should I kick-off the conversation - just drop them an email with an outline? Send the whole thing, or an excerpt?

1. Most publications planned their issues well in advanced so it's likely all their spots for New Year issues are already all allocated

2. As Lakey explained all publications have a "Submit" section on their website where they will detail the submission guidelines writers need to follow, if they pay or not, if they are open to submission, what they are looking for, etc...

3. There is not conversation to kick-off, the submit section will let you know how you can submit (online form, email address, if they are open to pitches or just need CNF sent to them directly, etc...)

4. Make sure to follow the guidelines before you submit otherwise it might end up that your submission won't be considered

Good luck!

Mel Born

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
Thanks both, I'l look into it. If there is no cash available I'll still ask whether they'd like to publish as the subject matters (two of them!) are very important to me and I think it could spark some important conversations.

I don't see any point in taking the effort to write something if it is just going to sit in a folder on my PC and not be read.

Let you know how I get on. Thanks again :)

byarvin

Here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianyarvin.com
Don't worry about the timing. It's way too late for this year and possibly too late for 2020/2021, but it may be perfect for the next opening. ... or it could work for another month. You never know until you submit. As for payment, I suggest that you make it your first question after you're accepted. Not Before.

Best of luck with this!

Mel Born

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
Thanks Brian,

I've just had it proof read by a peer who was really pleased with it. I'm going to hit the big red button tonight and see what happens...if anything!

paqart

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paqphoto.com
THis answer is too late to deal with your Christmas question. I write for two websites. One pays me, the other doesn't. If you want to be paid, you should ask about compensation. I doubt there is a "normal" rate, and don't be surprised if the rate they pay is very low.

AP
Hi everyone,

- - - Updated - - -

This answer is too late to deal with your Christmas question. I write for two websites. One pays me, the other doesn't. If you want to be paid, you should ask about compensation. I doubt there is a "normal" rate, and don't be surprised if the rate they pay is very low.

AP
Hi everyone,

MsVibey

Registered
Reaction score
It's been [mumble] years since I first heard about Writers Market and I can't believe that there still isn't an online version you subscribe to and search for this kind of thing. Like the Australian Writers Marketplace did - it's perfect.

But I digress. Any chance you could borrow a copy of WM from the library, or even buy one? It's super useful if you're wanting to submit to markets regularly.