how to outline

skylessbird2218

I Don't Bite...
Registered
Reaction score
I've never done a story with an outline(although that's not saying much, me being a newbie and all), but now I want to do one. And I also want to make it as detailed as possible. I want to try it to see whether plotting suits me. But as I have never done one, I don't know how to begin. Can I find a detailed outlining guide with some examples somewhere?

iBleed2

Registered
Reaction score
I used to be like you.... I wrote countless novels (only finished three) without a plan. Needless to say they were all utter rubbish. I enjoyed the process but did want better results for my effort. I began to outline and now my first drafts keep getting better and better. My first drafts now are probably on par with a third draft just two or three years ago. That's saying something.

Here's how I did it. Let me preface by saying this is how I do it, this isn't the only way to do it. We all have methods and practices. Firstly, I start with characters. Protagonist and Antagonist. What are their motivations? Why do they want it? Then I look for possibilities within the plot to create conflict. I imagine some of the key scenes. These are important so that when the writing gets tough I have something to write towards (I write chronological) and it helps hold up that saggy middle that sometimes happens in first drafts. These days I do a story summary then a chapter summary, but these are mostly to get me thinking about how I would do the story and when I'm writing the first draft use them more for notes than a blueprint to my story. As far as resources, you should be able to find tons of info on outlining. It's a common problem new writers need to address to further their craft. Happy writing!

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
There is no right or wrong way to outline, every writer has a favorite method. You find yours through experimentation.

As a practice run, try outlining a short story from a favorite author using different methods.

Such methods can be:

* using bullet points for describing the progress of the plot

* hand write on index cards each plot point

* make a flow chart

* type detailed progress of plot, one paragraph for each new bit of information

You may not find a lot on how to do this since many writers make up outlining as they go -- and then ignore it once they start the story. Follow your best instincts.

I did a sort of skimming the high points outline of a story about a horrible old lady who murders a kid, really wallowed in her e-vull-ness. But when I got the first line down it went in a whole different direction and she turned into the heroine. Weird how that happens, ain't it? It just means don't stick to the outline when a better idea pops up. :)

Cephus

Registered
Reaction score
The thing with outlining and being a planner is that all of your creativity is front-loaded. It isn't a less creative process than pantsing, it's just done differently and you don't, at least IMO, waste as much time as many pantsers do throwing ideas at the wall and hoping something sticks. Whatever works for you is really all that matters, but the goal is finishing books and if you don't, then no matter what method you're using, it's failing you.

The way I do it takes about 2 weeks of setup on average. That's not from having absolutely nothing to a completed outline, I already know the basics of the next 13 books I'll be writing, from overall plot to basic characters, etc. I never go into a project blind. I will take that information and sit down and create a Scrivener document if I haven't already done so. Then I'll put together an outline and anything that lets you put together numbered lists works. Start with two points, the first idea you have for the story and the last. The beginning and the end. Whatever you've got. Put those into your story as #1 and #2. Come up with new ideas. What goes between #1 and #2? Figure something out and add it. #2 becomes #3 and you continue. Keep your story structure in mind, or keep a list of story beats nearby so that you can plan them into your story. Do this until you have a complete story at the chapter level. If you get good at this, you've just defined your chapter structure, every number is a chapter. Then I create those chapters, move the descriptions into each chapter and continue to do scene breakdowns. By the time I'm finished, I have the entire book laid out down to individual scenes within my chapters. It's just a matter of writing the prose. I already know the story works, I just have to go into the individual chapters and write the next scene.

Ultimately, do what works for you. Don't just say "I want to outline" if you hate outlining. It won't work for you. So long as you finish books, it doesn't matter. If you don't finish, that's where you have to figure out what's wrong.

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
Outlining is generally a better idea than not. The trouble with the mind is that stuff drops out with the distractions of the day. Really, the best outline is just enough for you to remember your intentions, but not so much that you put passion into the outline rather than the story itself. Basically an outline is a list of things you want to remember even if you end up taking a break from the story for a while.

Uh, well, I've done it two different ways. For one story, which was inspired by a song, I listened to the song over and over, pausing after every bit and writing a numbered list of what I wanted to happen next. For the second, I wrote a basic summary for every chapter. If I wrote something I liked that alters things, I changed the outline accordingly.

I hope it helps.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Outlining is generally a better idea than not. The trouble with the mind is that stuff drops out with the distractions of the day. Really, the best outline is just enough for you to remember your intentions, but not so much that you put passion into the outline rather than the story itself. Basically an outline is a list of things you want to remember even if you end up taking a break from the story for a while.

Uh, well, I've done it two different ways. For one story, which was inspired by a song, I listened to the song over and over, pausing after every bit and writing a numbered list of what I wanted to happen next. For the second, I wrote a basic summary for every chapter. If I wrote something I liked that alters things, I changed the outline accordingly.

I hope it helps.

I work in a similar way. An outline helps me figure out where the story is going and keeps me on track. I first create a coarse bulleted list, one line per chapter - then expand it into a more detailed view. Changes DO occur along the way - and like you, I adjust accordingly. Actually, before I start in on a fresh chapter (in the middle of the book somewhere) I always make adjustments to coincide with changes already made to the story and character arcs.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
My novel outlines tend to run between 20-30,000 words. That's basically just me vomiting the story out, in order and abbreviated. I then extend the vomit into a full story, after which I spend nearly as much time editing/shaping it into some sort of vomit sculpture.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
But as I have never done one, I don't know how to begin. Can I find a detailed outlining guide with some examples somewhere?

For me, an outline is like going out at night with a flashlight. I can see something that's three feet in front of me very well, but something that's twenty feet away... not so much.

Likewise, I start with an outline that's very detailed for the first two to three chapters. After that it gets progressively fuzzier the further it goes into the manuscript. Right now, for instance, I'm on the second chapter of a WIP and I couldn't tell you anything about what happens in the last chapter other than that the hero and heroine have dealt with whatever is keeping them apart (because this is a romance, ergo that has to happen). However, once I'm on the penultimate chapter, I'll have a detailed outline for the last chapter.

As for how to begin, I don't go very technical with numbers or bullet points. I just write down my thoughts on what the characters do. Sometimes it's like brainstorming with myself. "Why does he agree to pose as his brother? What's he getting out of it?" At this point I also divide the chapter into scenes : "Dinner scene. Abby's POV. Max tries to embarrass his rival." Followed by a brief paragraph of how the scene plays out. This is a good way to check that I'm giving both the hero and heroine equal time perspective-wise. And if I get a great idea for Max's comeuppance, I can jot it down here.

I don't worry about outlining in detail past the next three chapters I'm going to write. If some endgame twist occurs to me, it goes into the outline document, but I'm not going to try to write a very specific outline for the last few chapters before the end is in sight.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: