• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Flashback in a Synopsis

InsomniaShark

Registered
Reaction score
My novel takes place a year after important Event A. There's references to it in the first three chapters, and then there's a flashback to it in chapter four to explain it more in depth.

I wasn't sure how to cover that in the synopsis. The logical thing to do seems to be to start the synopsis with a few sentences describing Event A, but if an agent reads the synopsis and then looks at sample pages/chapters, they'll be like, "Where's Event A?"

Should I start the synopsis with "one year earlier," then go into a few sentences about Event A, and then the next paragraph would start with "a year later"?

InsomniaShark

Registered
Reaction score
What about simplifying it to "One year after the zombie apocalypse,"

Now I wish I'd just written a zombie apocalypse novel, lol. I would do "One year after Event A," but I feel like I need two or three sentences of explanation/world building. Maybe I'm overthinking it and it doesn't matter if I start with the flashback from chapter 4. Since it's referenced in the other chapters it probably shouldn't seem like it "came out of nowhere."

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
  1. events of Chapter One -- mentions/introduces Event A
  2. events of Chapter Two
  3. events of Chapter Three
  4. "In the year before Event A..." -- mentions what led up to Event A

I'm guessing Event A is such a crucial point to your story, so I don't think readers are going to wonder what you're talking about since the characters have carried it through for the first three chapters.

InsomniaShark

Registered
Reaction score
  1. events of Chapter One -- mentions/introduces Event A
  2. events of Chapter Two
  3. events of Chapter Three
  4. "In the year before Event A..." -- mentions what led up to Event A

I'm guessing Event A is such a crucial point to your story, so I don't think readers are going to wonder what you're talking about since the characters have carried it through for the first three chapters.

That makes sense. I will try following your sample list. Thank you!