Is your significant other creative?

bluejester12

I write and I wrong
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious in the relationship particularly between creative and non-creative people. A fair number of established authors I've read about have spouses who are also writers/artists of some sort.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope! - Hubby and I are like "night and day" - He's introverted, keenly analytical, and leans more in the STEM direction. :Shrug:

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Single but open to offers from creative types...:tongue

Last two S.O.s have been lawyers - the only thing creative about lawyers is their billing!

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm good with 2-dimensional stuff, like painting and writing.

He's good at 3-dimensional stuff, like martial arts, or making his own molds to cast stuff, or building things.

He's also good at getting into a book or movie and predicting 95% of the plot plus its ultimate resolution based on the first bits, whereas I can catch on to obvious telegraphs ("Oh! I bet that's going to be important an hour from now!"), but for the most part enjoy watching it as things unfold.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He's a woodworker who makes furniture without using someone else's plans, but he's a plan-research guy from way back, very little spontaneous creativity. That's more my thing, generally limited to words but occasionally appearing in the kitchen.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Punk rock feminist artist, occasional hype from trendy celebrities and influencers pays for dog food. I've only ever dated artists, so I guess it's my type.

Side-note: If you retweet or like an artist on your social media, TAG them! Don't be a jerk like all those rocks stars who never do.

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope! - Hubby and I are like "night and day" - He's introverted, keenly analytical, and leans more in the STEM direction. :Shrug:

What you’re NOT introverted??! Where’s my shocked face... :ROFL:

My wife is a published author, so, yes.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious in the relationship particularly between creative and non-creative people. A fair number of established authors I've read about have spouses who are also writers/artists of some sort.
hey - little bit of an assumption there. I’m not sure we all have SOs

Froeschli

Registered
Reaction score
Huh, "edit" turned into "delete" yet there's a ghost of my previous reply still haunting this thread...

DH is a photographer and way more of a "creative type" than I... I'm great at editing his photographs, but ask me to come up with my own images, and i am lost.

Now my ex on the other hand, lacked imagination to boot. i don't even recall having conversations with him (ah to be 18 again :p )

I think a certain measure of flexible thinking is required to coexist with a creative person. And vice versa.

Seriously, when i ask my hubby where xyz has disappeared to from the fridge, he tells me the elephants got it in the night, and his imaginary dog was unable to stop them. Try and tell that to a "normal" person...

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
… Seriously, when I ask my hubby where xyz has disappeared to from the fridge, he tells me the elephants got it in the night, and his imaginary dog was unable to stop them.
DANG! - I lurve that ^ :ROFL:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Depends on what you call "creative." My guy has a great sense of humor (most of the time); that takes some creativity. When presented with household problems, he often comes up with creative solutions. And this last time we moved (like 2 months ago), I noticed he was suddenly creating artful vignettes with the knick-knacks.

He did some ballet/modern dance in college. But don't ask him to write a book or paint/draw anything (except for touch up on the house walls), and for many years, his hearing has been much too poor for music.

...Maybe I should suggest that some of his spellings and some of the ways he misremembers what he hasn't heard well are creative too. :)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

SAWeiner

Reaction score
My wife is a Spanish teacher turned school administrator. She actually studied acting when she was younger and was a literature major in college. During our married life, she has more been involved facilitating creativity---e.g. directing a Spanish play at her school and organizing an annual show at her school with Latin American performers.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
My wife's a great writer, but she writes non-fiction articles--not books and has had many published. She loves to write. I wish it came as easy to me as it does to her, but she's been doing it all her life and I only just started. I think if something comes easy to you, you tend to enjoy it more. Conversely, the more you do something, the better you get at it and the easier it becomes, so you enjoy it more. Some people just have a natural aptitude for certain things, like music. I envy them.