• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Swap Wanted for Magepunk YA Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnLine

Owns a pen.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

I’m looking for beta-swaps, but wouldn’t turn down any beta-readers either. I’m working on the first half of my book before writing the second, so it’s only 55k words (It ends at a good stopping point).

I’ll swap for just about any fiction, though I prefer SF/F. I suggest we swap the first few chapters to see if we’re compatible, and then move on from there.

Here’s my WIP query pitch:

The city of Greatwen is the greatest in the world. Its industrial backbone has been reforged by the newly vindicated council of wizards, and Eliza Scaggs is the first woman to join their ranks, even if they do all still insist on calling her a witch. Eager to cement her status within the city’s elites, Eliza accepts a secret project from the council, one which her rivals relentlessly try to steal and sabotage. So she’s very suspicious when a boy shows up on her doorstep, begging to be her apprentice.

Oliver, the boy, is threadbare but smart, earnest, and eager to learn. It seems like luck alone got the witch to accept him, and he’s determined to do right by her, until his father, the disgraced Baron Messer Black, finds out and threatens Oliver with brutal beatings unless he steals everything he can from the witch.

Now he’s got to keep two secrets from Eliza. That he’s stealing from her, and his reason for wanting to learn magic in the first place. He’s never been happy, and is quite sure he never will be as a man. You see, Oliver wants to use magic to become a girl.

Then both their deepest fears are realized. Oliver’s betrayal is exposed, and Eliza discovers the truth about her secret project. That it’s a terrible weapon designed to bring the world to its knees.

Witches, Boys, and Other Monsters is a 55k word, half complete Magepunk Fantasy.

Three of the main characters are LGBTQ+, so be sure you’re comfortable with that, but the focus is really on the adventure. Reply to this thread or message me if you are interested. And I look forward to reading your work!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.