RIP Rene Auberjonois

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I saw his name trending on twitter and held my breath. It could have meant he'd landed a role in a new TV show, or something.

No.

The news was as bad as I had feared.

He was 79.

I loved him on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. He and Armin Shimmerman played off each other beautifully, with all the skill of a couple of consummate pros. He had a deft touch with comedy, but he could play dark too.

I don't know if he had health problems, but what a horrible time of year for this to happen for his family.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Just saw this news.

The article I read said he had metastatic lung cancer. Hollywood Reporter link

Such a part of my childhood and life, from Benson to ST: DS9 to The Little Mermaid... looking back at reruns, he was in pretty much everything at one time or another.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
He was something all right. I first saw him on Benson, enjoying the sardonic humor. Was happy to see him on Star Trek. Watched the cheesy "My Best Friend is a Vampire" where he played a surprisingly nuanced mentor in a thinly-disguised metaphor for coming of age as gay back when openly talking about being gay was frowned on.

He did good work.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
He was also a fantastic stage actor. When I was a high school senior, several eons ago, a friend and I bought a tickets to a theater series at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Wednesday matinees, so once a month we ditched school for something much more entertaining. René Auberjonois had a lead in most of the shows. Memorably good!

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
His was one of the first names I learned in my lifelong game of That Guy! Always solid performances, all of them different. We're lucky to have had him for 79 years, I guess, but that doesn't mean he won't be missed.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
We had difficulty 'getting into' DS9 and finally, this year, resolved to watch it start to end. What a great show. We wrapped up the final episode two days ago.

Aron Eisenberg passed away when we were about halfway through.

Odo wasn't always easy to warm up to, but his view of humanity was unique, his willingness to be 'other' and vulnerable, especially with Kira, was intriguing and genuine, and it always seemed that something of the actor was informing all of that.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Heard the news this morning. Very sad. I first saw him when he played the character "Hugo" on "Warehouse 13" and later watched him in many of his other roles. He was a talented actor.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Kind of obscure, but I distinctly remember him for his voice work in the Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain series.