Creating a public profile

KML Quinn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threebagsofsugar.com
Hi everyone,

I’m trying to develop more of a public profile and immerse myself more into the writing world. Has anyone any advice on how to really get started with this? I have a blog, but sometimes it can be tricky to get people to read and engage with it!

Looking forward to chatting,
KML

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Hi everyone,

I’m trying to develop more of a public profile and immerse myself more into the writing world. Has anyone any advice on how to really get started with this? I have a blog, but sometimes it can be tricky to get people to read and engage with it!

Looking forward to chatting,
KML

Someone advised me that there's no point in having a blog if you're not on Twitter, and it turned out they were right. I don't blog much these days, but whatever traffic my blog gets still comes primarily from twitter.

I joined Twitter, reluctantly, at the insistence of my publicist at Viking. Takes a while to figure it out and avoid faux pas. But I have met some amazing people via Twitter, tons of fellow-writers, and countless political fellow-travelers who hate trump and trumpism as much as I do. By following certain hash tags--#WritingCommunity, "AmWriting and many ohers---you can quickly build a community and learn a lot.

Good luck!

KML Quinn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threebagsofsugar.com
Hi Barbara,

That’s brilliant advice - thank you so much! I am on twitter myself, but I really struggle to find a voice on it. I did notice those hashtags (but I’m not sure how to follow them yet - I’m old school!) but I’ll go and look now to see how I can do that.

I’ve been trying to blog a lot more than I used to. If anything, it keeps me motivated! I’ve also found that Instagram is picking up some traffic too. It’s just hard to keep the momentum going!

Thanks so much,
KML

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
There are free ebooks available, or practically free, on how to use Twitter for writers. Worth reading--they'll save you time. Have fun!

Barbara

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
Blogs, I suspect, are mutual admiration societies (for the most part). Those who already know you read your blog, so there isn't a lot of outreach. The way I've found to get some interest is to visit and comment on other blogs, and even ones outside of the writing world. (Such as knitting blogs, or adventure sports, or social justice, or just some blogger with lots of followers.) It broadens your reach and community.

Also, you should add your blog link to your signature here in AW. Makes it easier to someone reading your posts to then go straight to your blog. (Yes, I should do it too.)

KML Quinn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threebagsofsugar.com
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the advice. You’re absolutely right; it’s also about reaching out to readers who don’t really know me. I’ve started to search out more blogs, and hopefully I’ll be able to connect with more people that way. I *think* I’ve put my blog up on my bio but I can’t be sure... I'm a newbie so I’m trying to navigate my way through the forum! I have also found that reviewing books and scripts seem to gather more readers. Have you found that yourself?

KML