• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Do you need to have an idea before you write?

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Ancient thread resurrected....

But yeah, I need either a "boy won't that look cool" thing or a *JJ Abrams voice* mystery box before I start. Things that are based on dreams are usually the former and I try to find the what got us to that point as I'm writing or developing the idea. Or there's a ~mystery box~* that I want to figure out. If I don't have any sort of idea or idea of where I'm going then I get paralyzed by the infinite choices and nothing happens. But the idea doesn't need to be from me, I could ask other people for ideas or prompts or look at those writing-prompt things. But at this point I have so many ideas hoarded up I don't really need to look outside for things. Only really need to do it for blog posts for work lol

*I'm using the "ooh here's something we don't know what it is, keep watching to find out" definition of mystery box that other people use and not the "a blank word document is a mystery box because it can be anything" definition that JJ used in his TED talk

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
With my third novel, I have a few ideas. Just don't know yet how to fit them together properly. With my last two novels, the ideas and how they came together, sort of hit me in the head. That's what I'm waiting for - for them to sort of find their own way. Of course, some of the ideas won't fit and will have to be discarded. Definitely, I'm on the slooooooooow sloth mode. My priority right now is querying my second novel. :e2writer::e2writer:

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
For me, it’s not necessary. Sometimes, I start putting words on paper and good ideas start to form. However, in general, I do find it helps having some sort of plot structure in mind. Then, I spend less time thinking as I write, and I can focus more on the actual writing.

Famoustapu

Registered
Reaction score
Ideally, you got to have an idea before starting, but then every writer his/her style. Whatever makes you more productive and creative is the best way to begin.

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
I’ll often be struck by a thought for a scene, a conversation, or even just a line that I really want to write, and I end up building a whole story just to get up to that point. Probably not the most efficient or logical way to write (or do anything) but I have to say it’s been working for me. It gives me a definite goal, I suppose. And when I do eventually make it to the spot where that initial inspiration moment belongs, it’s usually such a wonderful aha! moment and I end up laughing to myself hysterically in the coffee shop, bar, my desk at work, wherever I happen to be writing... so that’s fun.

Basically, I’d say yes, an idea is good to have before starting writing, but the concept of an “idea” can be anything from a fully formed and functioning outline to... huh, sycophant is a weird word, I want to see what happens with that.

Last edited:

Dann the dog

Registered
Reaction score
I mainly write short stuff, and I usually have a clear cut Idea of where I'm going where I start putting words on paper. However, I also get my ideas from drawing and writing nonsense.

Tought I consider those activities separate from writing itself, it may be the same thing to you, so I guess my answer is that you do not necessarily need a clear cut idea before writing.

NINA28

Registered
Reaction score
As someone who is quite new to writing I read this post and thought 'I'll try just writing random stuff' - nought happened. So I obviously do need something of an idea to work with. Sometimes I'll get the idea for a character and important information is there. The character or his/her situation provides a hook or even better multiple hooks, a clear goal and want - you know I'll just get a clear picture of the first chapter and then I can begin and just free-write what comes next.
Other times I get a general idea like "it would be fun to tell a story based on Elizabeth 1's life but with magic and dragons." That idea is a broad over view and gives me no clear starting point.
So for me it has to be a character idea not necessarily a plot idea.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I want to know what I’m working Towards. I’ve tried writing by the seat of my pants and it always stalled. My time is Kim it Ed and coming up with a bunch of character names, motivation, setting and conflict on the fly is hard.

Nether

has been brought to a creepy mansion in a cemetery
Registered
Reaction score
I can't write without both an idea and an ending. Usually my biggest struggles have come when I started something before I figured out how it would end.

And the more outlining I do, the better shape I'm in.

Traditionally the absolute worst writing exercises I had -- always in a class setting -- were "just write whatever comes to mind" or "use this prompt." Not only does it not work, but it annoys me. I need my own ideas, and I need to think those ideas through a bit before writing. And I like planning my next book while working on the current one. The absolute worst feeling is finishing a book, and then having nothing to write. I almost feel sick when that happens.

Reactions: Undercover