Researching for content and finding a gem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnugglePuggle

Banned
Reaction score
I LOVE IT. Specifically looking for something for my book and finding just what I need to write a lovely part. Yesterday, I was writing a date scene between my vampire MCs, and my female, the main thing about her is that she enjoys dancing- of all kinds, since she's a dance instructor for work. She enjoys dancing with her boyfriend on dates and I had her at a bar where she pulled him to the floor after having a few drinks, but I wanted to change the type of music this time, so I went to youtube and typed in some salsa dance videos to watch. After seeing a few, I was able to get some fun content to use...until I clicked the gem I found.

A steamy, sensual, slow type of salsa with a song that was a beautiful remix of Sia's "Elastic Heart" and "Love Me Like You Do" by Ellie Goulding. I immediately fell in love with the song and have been playing it non stop. And because of that gem, I was able to write a steamy scene with my characters that bumped by word count up (since my sequel was a bit low in terms of count).

Mm I love it when researching turns out well! Of course it doesn't always work but I still try. How about you? :)

The video is this if you want to watch: https://youtu.be/hCMAFEkyibc. You're welcome ;)

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like a fun experience!

The only research I've done recently for my novel is in regards to which qualifications you need to take up a translation job in the UK.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely, when I'm researching something historical and I find a little gold nugget. Love the feeling of excitement it gives you.

Biffington

Father of a thousand spawn
Registered
Reaction score
I fall down the rabbit hole and keep going too far.

I've got a thriller zombie post apocalyptic story where they're rebuilding society around an area in the country, and my writing group had tons of questions on why I could get away with them having various resources. I pointed to different things in real life (power plants, the location of the water treatment plant, natural geography, etc.) that would let them get away with it.

In the end, I convinced my writing group about every last detail, but I learned that all those details wouldn't help an average reader's suspension of disbelief, because it's just too many details, and getting the characters to reference them all makes it drier than the beginning of the hobbit.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like to research while I work a WIP, so I worked my projects differently. I researched as much I could up front and found a lot of serendipitous things from it. I have an arsenal of components to cherry pick as needed with a Ctrl+F. Not for everyone, but works for me.

StoryForest

Registered
Reaction score
Ah agreed, always great to find gems in research! Some authors enjoy it more than others, but being able to find that one spark is what makes it worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.