Do I need to mention ex-agent from years ago when querying for new manuscript?

PerchanceToDream

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy all.

Many moons ago when I was young and green I wrote a book and in a whirlwind got an agent, revised, went on submission and didn't have any takers. My agent at the time asked if I wanted to revise or change the book and I decided at that point I was going to hunker down and finish my second book. Eight years passed, I heard nothing from this person in all this time and I realized I wasn't the same person. I also realized I never should have signed with the agent in the first place. We weren't a fit personality or vision wise but I was too starry eyed with anyone wanting me to be able to see that. All that to say I parted ways with them, professionally, but I think with no love lost on either side.

In about another six months I'll be ready to query this manuscript and I don't know how to approach my history. I have read on many sites that it's good to let them know you were agented in the past because they'll sit up and take more notice. But I want to go out fresh. I have faith in this book. I've poured eight years of work into it and I feel that I could get agents to notice without mentioning the past. Of course if I'm able to get to a conversation stage I'll let them know, but on the other hand I don't want them to think I was hiding anything. Query shark has a post mentioning something to that end.

Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I didn't mention anything about book and agent 1?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
When I was querying recently, I included the line "I parted amicably with my previous representation in <year>."

But no, I don't think you have to mention it at all if you don't want to. Eight years is a long time. If Previous Agent didn't sell anything for you, I'm not sure mentioning that relationship will help (although I don't think it'll hurt).

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
If you are querying the same book you did with the previous agent you should mention it because agents need to know if the book has been shopped around so they won't resend to the same publishers. If not the same book then you don't need to mention it unless you want to. You won't be shooting yourself in the foot. An agent isn't going to hold it against you that you used to have an agent, but agents often know each other so some agents might ask your previous agent why the relationship ended if they know them. Similar to how a potential new boss might ask your old boss what happened when they are considering hiring you. They do this to make sure you're a client they want to invest in. Or in other words, they want to make sure you're not crazy. ;)

But whether or not you were agented before is not going to make you more attractive necessarily . If anything it can make you less desirable because they might think the book has exhausted all avenues if it was submitted before. But it's best to always be upfront. You want an agent who believes in you enough to work with you not someone you're afraid to be honest with.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, there's no reason to bring it up if this is a different book. Eight years is a long time and it won't matter at all that you didn't say anything about it. I know I wouldn't bother with that complication (of explanation, not problem; this isn't any kind of mark against you or your record - lots of people have manuscripts agented that don't sell and go on to plenty of success!)

You're a new you, as you say. : )

Best of luck!