The cover designer who jumped off the cliff

Owen Newo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name's Owen. I'm a designer, illustrator, writer of short stories, and proud bookworm. A couple of months ago I took the leap into self-employment, after several years working as co-director of a design agency.

One of my heroes, Ray Bradbury, said: "jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down". Well, that's exactly what I'm hoping to do. I now pursue book cover design as my full-time passion, alongside compiling my first collection of short stories! After many months of head-scratching, and cursing at my computer screen, I 'published' my website. Web design ain't for me, that's for sure!

I know I'm going to meet other writers on here who 'jumped'- be it to become full-time authors, or to chase other creative pursuits outside of the nine to five. I'm hoping to make friends and to reach a point where I feel comfortable sharing my short stories with you all. I wish you all much luck in assembling your wings.

Much Love and Best Wishes,

Owen

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep- that's one mighty leap of faith, Owen. Welcome, :welcome: and I wish you every success in your new venture.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Every single one of us who's ever submitted something knows the feeling of that leap of faith. It's scary, but worth it? Almost always, even with the rejections. :) Your covers are really good! Far above a lot of small publisher covers I've seen. Good luck!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Owen, :welcome:

What a fantastic intro! Best of luck to you and your pursuits of literary greatness.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, everybody, grab an edge of the safety net. We got a jumper!

Nice to meet you, Owen.

Maryn, pretty sure you'll bounce harmlessly

NadiaBlair

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Owen,

Welcome! I'm in the same boat (or parachute?). I'm also a writer and a graphic designer. I've been working as a freelancer for the last year. I'm far from an expert, but feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk shop, or just chat.