• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Time transitions

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
How do you handle time transitions? I have a story that leaps forward through time quite a bit. In other words, time passes between most of the scenes.

Do I need to indicate that 3 days passed, 3 months passed, later that day etc. et?

I do use scene breaks between each shift in time. And for the major changes, I will be using a heading that indicates the age of one of the characters who is a main thread in the story.

Can a reader follow these lesser shifts just using the scene breaks or do I need to be very specific and write a time transition each time? What do you think?

Biffington

Father of a thousand spawn
Registered
Reaction score
The first Harry Potter book did a great job of marking dates, and the movies did as well. Referencing the seasons, recent things the characters went through, or new interests, can be good ways of marking time. When Halloween decorations pop up the reader gets a good idea that it's not summer anymore.

ALShades

Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, I like to know the passing of time as this can help ground me in the world. As a writer, I try and always help the reader know how much time has passed even if it's just a day or two. I usually put it in the first few paragraphs either in a description or dialogue. It's an easy thing to do that I've found only assists rather than detracts.

Rojack79

Registered
Reaction score
For me each chapter's title is the date. As for the time of day that I leave up to the characters to tell.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I think dropping clues is a good way to do it without stating outright, although there's room for both.

If a character is gardening in the morning and rubs their hands on their trousers, then later in a supper scene someone comments their trousers are filthy, I think people pick up that it's the same day.

Sometimes it doesn't matter, and especially for linear stories.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
There are any number of ways to do this—what works best for you will depend upon what kind of story you are telling, what the narrative perspective is, and many other factors. If it’s important for your story that your readers are aware of the passage of time, you will want to indicate it somehow, but you need not be explicit or heavy-handed about it; it can be implied. You can use your explicit heading approach for the big jumps, and something less heavy-handed for the smaller jumps. Some of the choices include:

* Explicitly stating the date at the beginning of the chapter or scene. This can work in a book that’s framed as a journal or a series of letters, but might be intrusive in a regular third-person narrative. I sometimes find it a bit unhelpful; I can see that the chapter I am about to start is “26 October, 1868” but do I actually remember whether the previous chapter was “25 October, 1868” or “31 March, 1868” or “8 September, 1862”? Usually I don’t. Your age headings might be easier to follow, though.

* Stating the passage of time in the narrative: “Three weeks later, Tom boarded the ship for Athens.” Or, “After a good night’s sleep, Sarah felt better prepared to face her mother.” Or, “There was no sign of him for six months.” Or “It was autumn before Jane found the time to call.” This can work if it fits your narrative style—it can be a little distant, but if your story supports that kind of narrative distance occasionally, there’s no problem with it.

* Implying the passage of time without stating it explicitly. For instance, in the course of a scene, a character thinks about events in the previous scene as “what had happened with Jane last night.” Or, you have a scene that takes place on Christmas morning, and in the next scene your character is cleaning up champagne glasses after a New Year’s party. Or, you have have a character think about or otherwise imply multiple events occurring between the last scene and this one such that a certain amount of time had to have passed, even if the amount is still unspecified. For instance, one scene shows an architect sitting down to begin his drawings on a project, and in the next scene he’s attending the groundbreaking. There are any number of ways to imply the passage of time more or less subtly; these might work best for a close third-person narrative where any explicit statement like “The following week” might feel a little intrusive.

TL;DR — There are myriad ways to suggest the passage of time, implicitly or explicitly; which one is best for you depends upon your story.

:e2coffee:

Last edited:

Klope3

Registered
Reaction score
How do you handle time transitions? I have a story that leaps forward through time quite a bit. In other words, time passes between most of the scenes.

Sometimes I hear people talk about their stories this way. "My story starts at a quieter time in the MC's life," or "My story spends a lot of time on side characters," and so on. As if your story is doing what it wants, and you're just hanging on for dear life.

I don't see this as a helpful approach to writing. You are in control, not your story. You are the engineer of your story. If you think something in your story is confusing, change it or remove it. Design everything consciously so that it has exactly the effect you want.

Assuming you already know this, I'll chime in with a "yes." You definitely need to give some kind of indication of how much time has passed. The other poster have given good suggestions on how to do that.

K.S. Crooks

Registered
Reaction score
You can work the times into the narrative or into the conversations or as a minor heading. In the narrative or conversations you could simple state ________ time has passed. Another option is to mention that something will take place in ____ amount of time and then jump to when it happens. You could also have something else indicate the passage of time such as the characters travelling somewhere and you've stated the amount of time it will take or something being built and the stages indicating time passing. People growing or starting new stages of life (getting married, new grade in school, being promoted) all help to show time has passed. As well consider that you don't always need a specific amount time only the understanding that it has been a short-time or a long-time.